Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose side mirror

Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM
CaptainMorganUOR
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Loose side mirror

My 72's side mirror is loose. It's loose at the base against the car. The screw is in tight in the mount, etc. It's like the mirror doesn't sit all the way against the black pad on the car, so it wobbles a bit. It's not bad, but it is annoying. Is there a good solution? A spacer of some sort maybe?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Driver or passenger side? The driver side one is attached more soundly. I think all passenger side ones are attached with rubber well nuts. Yours may be worn or deteriorated. Remove the mounting screw, mirror and then you’ll be able to see the two screws that attach the mounting plate to the door.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 AM
CaptainMorganUOR
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Driver or passenger side? The driver side one is attached more soundly. I think all passenger side ones are attached with rubber well nuts. Yours may be worn or deteriorated. Remove the mounting screw, mirror and then you’ll be able to see the two screws that attach the mounting plate to the door.
Driver side. The mount is solid. The mirror wobbles around on the mount.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:15 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorganUOR
Driver side. The mount is solid. The mirror wobbles around on the mount.

I had this same issue a few months back. The mount (base, mounted to the door) was not original to the car. I think I replaced it at some point and it was never tight. It WAS tight against the door, just could never get the mirror tight on the base. I took me a while to figure out and a spacer was not the solution.

Turns out, I had the wrong base. The (I think) earlier (mid-year) base is almost identical EXCEPT the part where the mirror slips onto (where the allen screw goes up into) was actually thinner than the later (68 and up). Either that or the aftermarket repros are just not made right. I took my base to a buddy's shop and we pulled out a few original bases. The were noticeably thicker at the area the mirror goes onto.

Installed a new (original 68 and up) base and it was tight as a drum.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Had the same problem on the driver side of my 73. Reshaped the top of the base so that the mirror would sit further on it and it helped.
Fran

Old 07-10-2019, 07:48 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

I never liked those rubber compression well nuts. I use the collapsible drywall molly anchors to mount the base to the door. Never a wobble from a rubber mount again. Rock solid.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose side mirror

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loose side mirror