Welding aluminum valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Welding aluminum valve cover

Hey everyone

I will bring one of my valve cover to a welding (in a high school) workshop to repair a cracked fin.
I'm scared of the immense heat that is needed, and that could dammage the crossed flag badge.

What would be good to cover/protect the badge from the welding heat?

Here is a picture of the cracked fin... It's very close to the badge.
(I already cleaned the cracked surface with a dremel, and whiped with aceton.)

Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Can you remove the badge easily? They sell replacements as a sticker, so it may just pop right off, then you can glue it back on with some 3M double-sided adhesive.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/69-82-v...lem-decal.html

Also, while the 69-80 valve covers were aluminum, the 81-82 covers were magnesium (but painted). How were you able to crack a fin on an aluminum valve cover? I'm not saying it's impossible, just suggesting that you be careful (check part numbers inside, perhaps?) before accidentally trying to weld magnesium.

Last edited by Bikespace; 03-23-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It needs to be cleaned with a SS wire brush. Also it's probably cast and will need to be filled in with a gas torch and alum. ingot, then you'll have a ton of time in re-shaping the fin.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Just remove the badge. If you damage it, you can replace it for less than $10. Your primary concern should be to repair that fin. I would think that a skilled Heli-arc person could use ceramic material to build a dam on either side of that fin and build-up metal as required. Shouldn't be much trouble to dress it back into shape.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Use a heat gun to warm the badge, then pop it off. If it gets damaged by this, as has been mentioned, they're readily available. And while you've got the valve cover in the school's workshop, see it the have a Bridgeport milling machine that you can use, to help you reshape the fin.

(I don't want to know what caused the damage...…)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Can you remove the badge easily? They sell replacements as a sticker, so it may just pop right off, then you can glue it back on with some 3M double-sided adhesive.

Also, while the 69-80 valve covers were aluminum, the 81-82 covers were magnesium (but painted). How were you able to crack a fin on an aluminum valve cover? I'm not saying it's impossible, just suggesting that you be careful (check part numbers inside, perhaps?) before accidentally trying to weld magnesium.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Part numbers are:
P 3965543 LH
P 3965544 RH
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you brought that to me for the weld repair and didn't want to pull the badge, I would damped a thick cloth and lay it over the badge. That fin can be built up with multiple passes to keep the heat from getting to the badge. Either a ceramic or copper sheet backing and use that to support the weld bead, a good welder should be able to make it so you have just a little to smooth off.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Honestly I don't think it is going to work. Those covers are not made out of a very good aluminum and I have welded on them before. You will have to turn some heat on them to get the garbage to clean out and it usually will blow a hole through them. In that is a fine, let's just say for argument purposes that you actually get a fine welded on it, you are going to spend a ton of time grinding the weld down to not be noticeable. It would be cheaper and less effort to just try and fine a used single or buy a set of them. Even getting it welded for free, I don't think it is going to turn out as you are hoping it to. Maybe if they were made out of a better aluminum and not as thin, but either way good luck.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:11 PM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by metal tech
If you brought that to me for the weld repair and didn't want to pull the badge, I would damped a thick cloth and lay it over the badge. That fin can be built up with multiple passes to keep the heat from getting to the badge. Either a ceramic or copper sheet backing and use that to support the weld bead, a good welder should be able to make it so you have just a little to smooth off.
Great advise - I am welder by trade and Alum is not easy to weld unless you know what you are doing! Just some Joe schmo from a weld class will destroy your valve cover. Especially on an old oily cast alum piece like that. Where are you located? If you are close to Cincinnati i can fix it for ya.
Mike,
Old 03-25-2019, 03:05 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAD111
Great advise - I am welder by trade and Alum is not easy to weld unless you know what you are doing! Just some Joe schmo from a weld class will destroy your valve cover. Especially on an old oily cast alum piece like that. Where are you located? If you are close to Cincinnati i can fix it for ya.
Mike,
I'm from Belgium so that's pretty far...
Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Do you know what alloy the cover is cast from?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:57 PM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Novusuhu
I'm from Belgium so that's pretty far...
Well Belgium is a bit far from where im at. LOL - Not sure what Alloy it is, but it's aluminum. I would use 4043 filler rod to weld it. Just make sure they clean it very very well. Put a cold wet rag on the badge to keep it cool while welding.Lace a stringer on it , let it cool , lace another stringer and so on till you get it built up.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Swap valve covers so the bad fin is on the back side while shopping ebay for a matching single valve cover. An artist with a tig welder, maybe. A kid in votech school? If you are lucky it will still be usable...
Old 03-25-2019, 04:57 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Swap valve covers so the bad fin is on the back side while shopping ebay for a matching single valve cover. .
i was gonna recommend something similar. maybe strategically place a heater hose over it lol
Old 03-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by derekderek
Swap valve covers so the bad fin is on the back side while shopping ebay for a matching single valve cover. An artist with a tig welder, maybe. A kid in votech school? If you are lucky it will still be usable...
It will be a teacher that will do the job.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

A steady hand and a a Dremel tool or two should get it looking pretty close to the original shape. I doubt that anyone will spot the fin being worked on.

Get notified of new replies

To Welding aluminum valve cover

Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default Bikespace with a bullet!

This man is totally correct...yes you can HELIARC weld and of course grind aluminum....the black covers that are made in the same molds ARE MAGNESIUM which you should never weld (or even expose to flame) they will light off like a uncontrolled rocket. Magnesium is hugely flammable, The 'broken' fin to me looks more like a 'silly long time rub' where some mouth breather mounted something over the rocker cover and let it vibrate until it wore the fin off.

The emblem can be removed EASILY. a little heat gun action and an x-acto knife.

good luck Unkahal
Old 03-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Novusuhu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L-46man
This man is totally correct...yes you can HELIARC weld and of course grind aluminum....the black covers that are made in the same molds ARE MAGNESIUM which you should never weld (or even expose to flame) they will light off like a uncontrolled rocket. Magnesium is hugely flammable, The 'broken' fin to me looks more like a 'silly long time rub' where some mouth breather mounted something over the rocker cover and let it vibrate until it wore the fin off.

The emblem can be removed EASILY. a little heat gun action and an x-acto knife.

good luck Unkahal
Can the emblem be reused when I remove it with a heat gun and exacto knife?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:47 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

YES....DON'T BEND IT! Pinky finger delicacy required and glue it back down with clear silicone.

Quick Reply: Welding aluminum valve cover