Sponsored by:

Newbie, Yellow 75 rust on frame help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 01:41 PM
jamiecantar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Newbie, Yellow 75 rust on frame help

My first corvette, barn find...most of the areas of the frame are good except for these corners on the frame. I wanted opinions on whether these areas can be welded without lifting the body.
any input would be appreciated :-) thanks- Jamie

Drivers side just below the fender and door seam. rocker panel channel of frame

Drivers side rear section just below the door seam and rear fender. rocker panel channel of frame

Another pic of the passenger front section just below the fender and door seam. rocker panel channel of frame

Passengers side rear section were the door meets the rear fender seam

Last edited by jamiecantar; 04-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 PM
dprinter1
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a lifting harness I will sell you if you decide to do it, 1/2 price.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:11 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Looks like major work. IMHO you need to lift body off and deal with frame. You will find more. Have you looked at the birdcage as with these pictures it may be too far gone?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

I'll say this,, if I'm doing it, I want the body off frame, , , To do a good repair, one needs to get ALL the rotten metal removed, then make the repairs, ,,,
It comes down to inspection of complete frame integrity, ,, you may find, it's not worth the labor to repair it,, but. IMHO, a good fabricator can repair anything,,,,,
Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Do a search on 'My Plastic Pig'. It might give you some ideas of what's involved with what I believe to be less rust. There was also windshield frame work done years before, and I have no photos of that.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 PM
slapjack9
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In order to weld good metal back into the frame, you'll need to strip it down to bare metal so you can see the extent of the PITTING, not the spots where it's completely eaten through the metal. To do this you'll for sure want the body off the frame. As others have said this is a major repair and the odds of your birdcage being toast are high. Keep us all posted and ask for help when you need it. We'll be happy to share any knowledge and experience we have. If it was me, I'd start by preparing the body to be lifted.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 PM
jamiecantar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slapjack9
In order to weld good metal back into the frame, you'll need to strip it down to bare metal so you can see the extent of the PITTING, not the spots where it's completely eaten through the metal. To do this you'll for sure want the body off the frame. As others have said this is a major repair and the odds of your birdcage being toast are high. Keep us all posted and ask for help when you need it. We'll be happy to share any knowledge and experience we have. If it was me, I'd start by preparing the body to be lifted.
Thanks to all who replied.

I was hoping to patch pieces and bypass this step temporarily until I did a full body off restoration. :-(

Is there a drawing or thread that shows the step by step for taking the body off?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a list of all the connections you'll have to lift it off the frame. If I can find my list I'll post it for you, but I suspect someone will answer the question and post it before I get back to my office tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie, Yellow 75 rust on frame help

Quick Reply: Newbie, Yellow 75 rust on frame help