Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Rubber SB Intake Gaskets

Old 04-15-2019, 09:10 PM
78 Pace
CF Member

Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front and Rear Rubber SB Intake Gaskets

Hi All,

I am replacing my intake gaskets on my small block 350, my question is do I use the rubber front and rear gaskets or RTV sealer? I have had a number of guys tell to use RTV instead of the rubber gaskets that come with the gasket kit, what is the best to use?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 PM
carriljc
CF Senior Member

Recieved 206 Likes on 194 Posts

Don't bother with the rubber gaskets/end seals.
Go to the parts store and get "THE RIGHT STUFF", it's expensive, but it works fast and seals really well. RTV is fine (I have used the high temp RTV for the ends), but THE RIGHT STUFF is fantastic... just be ready to install the manifold promptly after laying down the bead.... the stuff works fast.

Make sure everything is REALLY clean. put down your gaskets, put down the bead of THE RIGHT STUFF and then place the intake manifold and be ready to torque it down. You're gonna love it.

Here is what it looks like:

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...aker/82550_0_0

Originally Posted by 78 Pace View Post
Hi All,

I am replacing my intake gaskets on my small block 350, my question is do I use the rubber front and rear gaskets or RTV sealer? I have had a number of guys tell to use RTV instead of the rubber gaskets that come with the gasket kit, what is the best to use?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM
60 SHARK
CF Senior Member

Recieved 38 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=carriljc;1599233927]Don't bother with the rubber gaskets/end seals.
Go to the parts store and get "THE RIGHT STUFF", it's expensive, but it works fast and seals really well. RTV is fine (I have used the high temp RTV for the ends), but THE RIGHT STUFF is fantastic... just be ready to install the manifold promptly after laying down the bead.... the stuff works fast.

Make sure everything is REALLY clean. put down your gaskets, put down the bead of THE RIGHT STUFF and then place the intake manifold and be ready to torque it down. You're gonna love it.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Many youtube video on this too,,
Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 PM
standardbyke22

Recieved 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive done probably 25 plus chevy intake gaskets, i still remmember being a teenager putting the intake on my freshly rebuilt 396 with gm intake, and the gaskets squeezing in and out as i torqued intake, and driving me crazy, i would run a bead of gasketmaker or the right stuff,let it tack 10-15 mins, sit intake down and torque, if you care about looks while its wet run your finger down the front bead (without pushing it into engine) and set it in a hare behind intake, it will be fine. i did try the cork style a couple times which has a sticky bottom that sticks to block and that worked. by the way never had a leaky intake
Old 04-15-2019, 10:24 PM
TimAT
CF Senior Member

Recieved 290 Likes on 277 Posts

Toss those rubber or cork end gaskets in the closest trash can. Clean the surfaces with alcohol to get all the oil off. Nice fat bead of RTV that extends up over the tabs of the side gaskets and set your intake.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:28 AM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 724 Likes on 660 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I like optimum gray on intakes and ultimate black on everything else that touches oil
Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 AM
78 Pace
CF Member

Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You All, I Appreciate the Feedback!

I am going to toss the rubber seals, I only want to pull the intake one time.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: