Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page >

Sticker shock over glass t-tops - where to get less expensive spares?

Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticker shock over glass t-tops - where to get less expensive spares?

Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 AM
brassplyer
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sticker shock over glass t-tops - where to get less expensive spares?

My '80 has reflective glass t-tops, I recently discovered prices for them - jayzus! Like $1300 for a pair. That's a bench-job transmission rebuild. I had no idea they were so expensive - seems like they'd be really susceptible to breakage from flying objects too.

Besides eBay are there reliable sources for significantly less expensive fiberglass spares for everyday use?

Last edited by brassplyer; 04-23-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:28 AM
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 929 Likes on 850 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
...Besides eBay are there reliable sources for significantly less expensive fiberglass spares for everyday use?...
Post a Want To Buy in Parts For Sale/Wanted.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 AM
gbvette62
CF Senior Member

Received 714 Likes on 564 Posts

Glass tops rarely get broken from "flying objects". They're usually broken when someone drops one, and bangs it against something while removing or installing them.

The $1300 tops are restored original tops, with new glass, weatherstrip, etc. installed. There are also restored tops available that use acrylic, instead of glass, that sell for around $850 a pair. Used pairs of glass tops sell for around $700-$800, and can be found at swap meets, Craigslist, the Corvette Forum Parts Section, etc.

Used 78-82 single handle, painted fiberglass tops, sell for around $300-$400 a pair. Unfortunately, by the time you paint them, replace the headliners and install new weatherstrip, you could have almost as much invested in them, as a new pair of glass ones.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 AM
C3_DH
CF Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to agree Brass, I looked at them when I recently bought my 76 and thought the same thing.... I would love to have a pair of tinted glass or clear tops, but geez.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 AM
brassplyer
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C3_DH View Post
I have to agree Brass, I looked at them when I recently bought my 76 and thought the same thing.... I would love to have a pair of tinted glass or clear tops, but geez.
Mine came with them - but now I'm a bit anxious riding around with them - lol. I find them useful at stoplights so I don't have to bend over to look under the rooflline to watch the light if I'm first in line and it's cool to have the sky view but wow, I'm sure going to handle them Iike the Crown Jewels.
The following users liked this post:
C3_DH (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Kacyc3
CF Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a pair of glass one on my car and hate them, wish I had fiberglass tops.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:08 AM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Think those are expensive? Try a set of TWO bronze Collector Edition glass tops....$2000 plus.

The way to break the code on glass T tops is to be patient....you are buying a commodity.

Buy one, then when the other shows up, buy that....singly they are much cheaper...

Craigslist and PATIENCE and PERSISTENCE.

Unkahal
The following users liked this post:
qwank (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:08 PM
BigBlock77
CF Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Several of the vendors used to advertise a refurbishment service that included replacing broken glass and new weatherstripping for about half the cost of a new set, but I haven't seen an ad for that in years. I'm in need of new glass for both of my tops, so I'll either be looking for that service when the time comes or crying as I shell out the bucks for a new set.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:59 PM
gbvette62
CF Senior Member

Received 714 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlock77 View Post
Several of the vendors used to advertise a refurbishment service that included replacing broken glass and new weatherstripping for about half the cost of a new set, but I haven't seen an ad for that in years. I'm in need of new glass for both of my tops, so I'll either be looking for that service when the time comes or crying as I shell out the bucks for a new set.
You can still have your tops re-glassed, but the cost is almost as much as just buying them, about $1000.

Another option might be to turn your old tops in as cores. You use to be able to buy restored tops, and turn in your old ones in for a credit. I know you can still do this with the acrylic replacement tops, but I'm not sure about the restored glass ones. They don't sell as many glass tops as they use to, so they were ending up with a lot of cores they didn't need. If they're still doing glass tops exchange, the credit was around $125-$150 per top.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 PM
Bikespace
CF Senior Member

Received 298 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
Besides eBay are there reliable sources for significantly less expensive fiberglass spares for everyday use?
I got my set (same observations and reason) from a posting on this Forum. You might luck out on Craigslist, too.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM
qwank
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I just bought a set of M92A tops off a member here in the Classifieds section for a really fair price.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 AM
cheapta

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 76 and have thought about having the T-tops wrapped with a reflective vinyl. Looks like a glass top but won't break if it bumps something.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 PM
danh77
CF Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Iíve seen them on Facebook marketplace, these arenít mine so donít know what they came from or anything else about them but I saw these

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sticker shock over glass t-tops - where to get less expensive spares?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: