Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Not seeing old iron anymore

Am I alone on this?
Last city I lived in was affluent, never saw any old cars save for 2....both were DDs...over a 4 yr span
Current area is a small valley where most auto activity is theft lol. Lotsa retired people...so the early morning Sat/Sun drives result in being the only older car out each time.

No cruise nights, no GTG, sigthings of anything cool. Guess this hobby has changed...not sure how some can worry about younger generations being interested when they never see them in the first place?
Just an observation.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:08 PM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Come visit the Detroit area in the summertime. On a nice day you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cool classic
Old 04-23-2019, 03:54 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by DB Cooper
Come visit the Detroit area in the summertime. On a nice day you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cool classic
Same here in central Florida.... still a good bit of classic cars running around.
The following users liked this post:
cor66vette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:58 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Must be a left coast thing.

I live in a rural area in south Jersey, and there's at least one cruise every night of the week, within a half hour of me. The little gas station/snack bar on my corner has a cruise every Monday night, April till November, and another snack bar 10 minutes from me, has one every Thursday. Bars, diners and pizza shops all have cruise nights around here. A local shopping center has one every other Friday, and a lot of towns have Main Street cruise nights, at least once a year.

I live just off of a rural two lane highway, that's a popular route to take to the Jersey beach towns, so there's a continual stream of "old iron" around here every weekend.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Am I alone on this?
Last city I lived in was affluent, never saw any old cars save for 2....both were DDs...over a 4 yr span
Current area is a small valley where most auto activity is theft lol. Lotsa retired people...so the early morning Sat/Sun drives result in being the only older car out each time.

No cruise nights, no GTG, sigthings of anything cool. Guess this hobby has changed...not sure how some can worry about younger generations being interested when they never see them in the first place?
Just an observation.
We're in Kalifornia, hardly anybody even cares about old iron anymore. You can't park them in front of your house and work on them, all the old school auto parts stores are gone, replaced by Corporate Look-Alikes, employing kids that barely know what you're talking about. The Hot Rod and Customizing culture was just about born here in SoCal. We used to have drag strips and even circle track racing, like Saugus Speedway (until they built the cookie cutter houses too close by and the yuppies bitched about the Saturday night noise). It's totally pathetic. Oh and we can't get certain 'speed parts' anymore from Summit or Jegs and the sheeple approved a crazy gas tax on top of all the other taxes, because they were too stupid to see it for what it really was: Another Sacramento Money Grab. And let's not forget the $1,000 ticket for 'loud exhaust'. Sheesh, do I hate this state. Love the weather, hate the rest.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:48 PM
orourke
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Not in the Tulsa area.

You can go down any road and see old cars parked in the fields, yards and stashed in open garages. Every Weekend there are a number of car shows to go to. Some go as far as closing down the main street to park the cars. It's not uncommon all year to see a classic car being driven through town. I see them blast by my shop now and then. The restoration shops are everywhere. A huge cruise in (300 cars) every Tuesday evening on Mingo Rd. This doesn't include the small towns that have their local club cruise in's too. We even still have a Speed Shop and Drag Strip. The car shows slow down a bit in November, but we have a huge indoor custom car show (1000 cars +) in February. The local shows start up again in April. Nope, the classic car scene is alive and doing very well in the Tulsa area.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:25 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

California????

This- Prop 65

Old 04-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

The proponents of Prop 65 here in CA have finally determined the even your own human saliva can cause cancer. But only if swallowed in small amounts over a very long period of time.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

It's all Teslas and Priuses here. When I go out for a drive a lot of people wave and signal
Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I had a good laugh thinking about this post, not long after first reading it.

About 4:00 this afternoon, I had to run to the bank, a 7 mile trip each way. On the way there, a very nice green 70's Z/28, a 68 or 69 Chevelle SS drag car on a trailer and another trailered drag car, a tricked out late 60's Dart, all passed me going the other way. I assume they were heading to the strip that's about 5 miles from me, since Tuesdays are "test and tune" night. On my trip home, a very slick yellow 52 Chevy 5 window pick up, with fat tires, and down in the weeds, went by heading the opposite direction.

This was 4 fine examples of early iron, on a 7 mile stretch of road, on a Tuesday afternoon!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

We just arrived in Phoenix yesterday.....On the way to my place I saw six newer vettes (2005+), and on our drive around today I saw four newer ones. I haven't seen anything older yet......
Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by sstocker31
We just arrived in Phoenix yesterday.....On the way to my place I saw six newer vettes (2005+), and on our drive around today I saw four newer ones. I haven't seen anything older yet......
Yup, Phoenix is the hub for collectors from around the world for the winter months. Where else in the world is there 7 car auctions over the course of a week?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:05 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
We're in Kalifornia, hardly anybody even cares about old iron anymore. You can't park them in front of your house and work on them, all the old school auto parts stores are gone, replaced by Corporate Look-Alikes, employing kids that barely know what you're talking about. The Hot Rod and Customizing culture was just about born here in SoCal. We used to have drag strips and even circle track racing, like Saugus Speedway (until they built the cookie cutter houses too close by and the yuppies bitched about the Saturday night noise). It's totally pathetic. Oh and we can't get certain 'speed parts' anymore from Summit or Jegs and the sheeple approved a crazy gas tax on top of all the other taxes, because they were too stupid to see it for what it really was: Another Sacramento Money Grab. And let's not forget the $1,000 ticket for 'loud exhaust'. Sheesh, do I hate this state. Love the weather, hate the rest.
I have a Kali-born&raised nephew who did reside in Pacific Palisades and, in about 1998, opened a "genuine texas bbq" joint near LAX. I visited him at his restaurant that year. As I arrived & parked, I noted a medium-size wheeled bbq smoker contraption in lot with smoke wafting out of it. Well, after long-time-no-see greetings complete we began to chat about his bbq "technique." He told me the C.A.R.B (Kali air board) pounced all over him about the smoke from his bbq cooker. He told them it was Not a cooker ... somehow he prevailed. Here's the irony. He did NOT cook a damn bit of Q. It was cooked in TX and flash frozen, then air-freighted in small blue plastic barrels. In his kitchen he thawed it, warmed it and then served it. The smoker in lot was merely a "prop." The smell attracted business. And it seems it is illegal to commercially open-air or pit-cook bbq in southern california.
F22 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Oh ... there's plenty of old iron on road here in SC. Also, there is absolutely NO passenger vehicle inspection nor smog inspection. No regulators/agencies even looking at exhaust/smog/carb ... no one checks at all. Of course, if you really show your azz and flaunt loud pipes in quiet areas, you may be cited by traffic cop/trooper. There has been some pushback on racetracks but it's only been successful in thwarting a couple NEW tracks. Racetracks & car-engine constructors-builders doing vibrant business.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackson:
F22 (04-24-2019), Greg (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

SC = Real America.
74_stingray (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:33 AM
brushmor
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DB Cooper
I moved to the Detroit area a few years ago and that was one of the first things I noticed. It's one of my favorite things about living here. It's a big difference from other places I have lived, that's for sure. It's just too bad the roads are in such poor condition.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by jackson
Oh ... there's plenty of old iron on road here in SC. Also, there is absolutely NO passenger vehicle inspection nor smog inspection. No regulators/agencies even looking at exhaust/smog/carb ... no one checks at all. Of course, if you really show your azz and flaunt loud pipes in quiet areas, you may be cited by traffic cop/trooper. There has been some pushback on racetracks but it's only been successful in thwarting a couple NEW tracks. Racetracks & car-engine constructors-builders doing vibrant business.
Originally Posted by Greg
SC = Real America.
Some states ARE car friendly....

Yep- The wife retires in August- selling the house in Atlanta and moving to SC.

The property tax difference saving alone is worth SEVERAL hundred dollars a month.Then I can build a shop and not be limited to height-size. Not to mention Georgia's emission testing and nailing you every time you register a car a one time fee- using NADA value!!!

And when we do the Route 66 trip- we'll probably just turn around at Arizona!!
Greg (04-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Not seeing old iron anymore

Old 04-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Was driving this last week. My buddy bought it at Mecum for his wife...

Handles like a boat compared to my C3!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:46 AM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

I think in general u have seen less sightings of old iron. I am presently down near Naples Fl and although there are newer vettes to be seen, I haven't seen a C2 or C3 yet. I suppose as time goes on there will be fewer and fewer C3s to be found. In Maryland I see a few Mustangs and other older machines, but not many C2s and C3s.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

SC...hmm.
If I got pulled over (67 abody)asked to pop my hood, and saw I had headers or no smog pump it could get impounded believe it
Last car that happened to the engine, rear end was blown out and tons of parts missing when i got itback. Not a car friendly state.
Waiting for retirement to process, 2 surgeries then Im out!

I do see a number of new Challengers, Mustangs Camaros mainly by the younger crowd.

Last edited by cv67; 04-24-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Not seeing old iron anymore