Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early C3 Steering column rebuild needed

Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM
69_Shark
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Early C3 Steering column rebuild needed

Hey all you C3 folks! Any of you rebuild a tilt tele steering column, live in the Pacific Northwest and willing to do it again or guide the process?
I live in Everett Wa and have TWO early C3 tilt tele steering columns.

If you are near me and this post interests you, give me a shout.
I'd love to talk options!

I posted a similar post in the PNW section however do not expect much response there.
Thanks
Scott
Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Gold Dragon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Scott,

We meet again. Not surprised at the lack of response from the PNW. Seems to be more of a new Corvette Forum. Not much love for the Vintage type. I have rebuilt several columns in the past and made some repairs, but a tilt column could be tricky. You mentioned discussing options. Have you considered trying to locate a good 69 tilt column. There is one for sale right now in Lynnwood on Craigslist that comes with a nice Teak steering wheel for 250$. Might be worth a look. I am always willing to lend a hand if you need help. I am home most nights working on my 69, and always have time to talk about Corvettes. PM me if you would like to get together and discuss projects.

Ray
Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM
69_Shark
CF Senior Member

Dang, that column is listed as sold! Doh!
If it really was good, I'd have bought it!

My issue with the installed column is the perfect "tilt" position is great but any tension on it it it may or may not pop down to the next tilt position. With my current drivetrain and sensitive rack and pinion it can be dis concerning! LOL!

Scott

PM SENT

Last edited by 69_Shark; 05-15-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:45 PM
TimAT
CF Senior Member

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts

Another one of those "if I'd have known then what I know now!" things. Things that were affordable in the past you can't touch now. I'd love to find a tilt column for my 69- no matter what shape it's in. I can bring it back to life unless the outer jacket is crushed. I bet that one on Craigslist was snapped up in a flash!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 PM
77vettes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default We can fix column

American made classic if you do t find someone local were out of houston
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Al.
CF Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I shipped mine to Paragon Standard column
they took it apart cleaned glassbeaded the shaft
replaced bearings and all electrical and painted.

The following users liked this post:
69_Shark (05-21-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Boswell

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott,
I live on the southern Oregon coast. Probably 8 hour drive from Everett. I do have a 69 with a tilt-tele wheel I rebuilt 7 years ago. They are not overly difficult provided you have a good core. Happy to assist by phone or email. PM me if I can be assistance.
Norm
69_Shark (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 PM
seacliffe301
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in the early 2000ís I sent my Ď72 tilt/tele column for a rebuild to Columns Galore. They did a great job at a reasonable price. All these years later Iíve had no problems.

Last edited by seacliffe301; 05-22-2019 at 05:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by seacliffe301:
69_Shark (05-21-2019), 77vettes (05-20-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 AM
69_Shark
CF Senior Member

First, I want to thank everyone who replied!

OK, after poking around and reading the posts here I am starting to think I'll rebuild it myself. Since I have two, I'll leave the one in my car as is and rebuild my spare.
Assuming all is well with my rebuilt column, I can simply swap them when I am ready. Given the offer for assistance from multiple members here, I'm pretty confident it is doable in my garage.
I have found Jim Sheas Steering pages and downloaded all relevant pages. I can study those and be familiar with what I am working with.

I won't be able to start for 4 weeks as other projects are in the way. Once complete I should have a left over column which will get sold most likely here on the forum.

If there is interest, when I start the rebuilt I can document similar to my LS7 swap post and post here.

Scott
Old 05-21-2019, 10:51 AM
bradleyb66
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_Shark View Post
If there is interest, when I start the rebuilt I can document similar to my LS7 swap post and post here.
Definitely document it with a rebuild thread - loved following your LS7 swap thread. My 69 tilt column is pretty sloppy too, so maybe I'll tear into it later this year if it doesn't look too daunting (or as schedules go, it'll probably slip into next year. )
Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 PM
69_Shark
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bradleyb66 View Post
Definitely document it with a rebuild thread - loved following your LS7 swap thread. My 69 tilt column is pretty sloppy too, so maybe I'll tear into it later this year if it doesn't look too daunting (or as schedules go, it'll probably slip into next year. )
I will document it then! It will be about 4 weeks before I start though. I will do the same as the LS thread and post pics!

Scott
bradleyb66 (05-21-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early C3 Steering column rebuild needed

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: