C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi friends! Looking for my first Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 AM
DrGibi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi friends! Looking for my first Corvette!

Hi guys!
New guy here
After wanting to have a C3 for as long as I can remember I am ready now to pull the trigger and purchase my first one, but I have a million doubts!
I will not be dailying this thing but it will get used on the weekends and on some roadtrips later this summer around the south of Europe. My other "Toy" car is a Wrangler TJ and was wondering how does the mileage compares to the TJ? That thing is deadly. Just last weekend drove about 1000 Km with it and with the gas prices in Germany and Italy the bill came to around 230 euros ( So just under 260 usd for 621 miles). I dont expect the vette to be much better but Im hoping it wont be much worse.
The Car will sleep on a covered garage, I am not a mechanic but I do know my way around a shop. I have been restoring bikes for a while now and I do most work on my wrangler alone. Im sure that most jobs Ill manage with help and guidance from you gentleman
I found this guy online and it seems to be a decent deal for what I have to work with here in Germany.
I am parcial ( apologize for the missuse of correct terminology here) to the "flat" back ones, since I can then mount a lugage rack and travel away.
Any do´s and dont´s to help me search? A particularly bad year? Anyone from Germany here who can point me in the right direction ( Good dealer to work with and so on)
Thanks!
Best
Gilberto
Old 05-19-2019, 10:03 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Welcome to the C3 Forum. Let's reduce those doubts .It seems M.P.G. is at the top of the list along with luggage storage.
If you prefer an "Original" car you limit any upgrades to improve fuel consumption.
A "Non-Original" car allows you to convert the fuel supply system for better fuel economy. You can also install a different engine/transmission/differential gears to get better m.p.g.
You need to decide if the costs of modifying the drive train will balance out the fuel usage per year. Example: Determine what you plan to spend per year on gasoline.....then decide which modifications to the drivetrain you can justify.
Also consider the number of years you plan on owning the car....the longer you own it the less it "hits" your wallet when making upgrades.

The above is just a general outline for M.P.G. improvement....Make a "Pro/Con" List of changes (including Costs) you want to make.

I hope this helps you narrow down the doubt-list.
The following users liked this post:
DrGibi (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM
DrGibi
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you sir!
I was starting to look into possible gearing to improve fuel economy. The car I am looking at has the 350 engine on it. When I look at the different posts related to fuel economy I tend to find wild swings in what people get, even with the same motor. I guess people do all sorts of crazy stuff to this cars. Can wait to get my hands on one!
What would you say is the average consumption for a relatively stock 350?
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!
Old 05-19-2019, 11:49 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

with original trans around 12 mpg or so. with overdrive, either auto or 5 speed it will cruise much more modestly and comfortably. this thread has a nice instruction book of what to look for and what to avoid. the original post has been deleted. but it can be found in post 107. open the thread and rool down to 107. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Last edited by derekderek; 05-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hi friends! Looking for my first Corvette!

Quick Reply: Hi friends! Looking for my first Corvette!