Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:16 AM
DueVette
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power brakes yes or no?

Hi guys,

maybe it's one of these typical noob questions... but what's your opinion: Especially the older C3 models sometimes come without power brakes. Sure, it's authentical especially for a numbers matching car. But would you upgrade to power brakes? Or even more to a set of Wilwoods? Even if you "hurt" the original set up of your Vette?

w/kind regards from Ol'Germany

Roland, driving just for pleasure
Old 05-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I upgraded because the drivers around me keep getting worse. Some people say that their old manual brakes would stop the car on a dime. Then why did they invent power brakes? My old brakes sure didnt stop as fast as power brakes do and I've had to emergency stop a few times this summer already. I dont know f its because my vette sits so low to the ground it makes it look like its further away but these people wait til I get close then pull out.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:22 PM
robmccon
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roland, willkommen! In my experience, I have found the standard (non-power) brakes sufficient. Mine is a weekend cruiser and I always leave extra room when driving. If I drove more frequently, or in heavier traffic, I would definitely consider the upgrade.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:49 PM
DueVette
Cruising
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rob,

thx a lot for your statement. I‘m in the process of choosing a C3 during the next few months. Though I‘m not in a hurry - I move a few British and Italian Old- and Youngtimers - I‘m quite curious about suggestions and personal experiences regarding the differences between power and non power brakes of the early C3 Vettes. Your comment is helpful because my future C3 would be a weekend cruiser too ;-)

w/kind regards
Roland
Old 05-29-2019, 01:13 PM
BigBill94
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Hydroboost and don't look back IMO.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Not exactly a fair comparison. The booster on mine failed last August, so I drove the remainder of the year with 'manual' brakes. Not a perfect comparison as the pivot points are different between manual and power brake linkages. I had no trouble stopping the car, and could lock the wheels (yes, I tested). As I'm a bike rider my legs may be stronger than average, however. The relationship of leg length to seat placement should not be overlooked, either, as if one's legs are stretched out less pressure can be put on the pedal.

The one really annoying issue was that, when stopped on even a minor incline, I had to keep significant pressure on the brake pedal or the car would roll. This might not be true in a car built with 'manual' brakes.

Ein bier, bitte!
Old 05-29-2019, 02:38 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

I had to overhaul my manual braking system because of the scary performance. It helped but it is still a tromp on the pedal experience at times. I have read that adding the power to the C3's only helps about 30%....however that is measured (pedal pressure?). The PB upgrade is on my list since my car is not an original in many ways.

What's funny is when I go back to a modern power brakes car I tend to way over do it.

Redvette2
Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I rebuilt the entire manual brake system on my '68 project car. The brakes worked great.
The problem is....Louisiana drivers think they are on a "Go Cart Track"....they do not know how to drive safely.
I "got tired" of "standing on the brake pedal" so I upgraded to a power brake master cylinder and booster.

There is a BIG difference....I can stop the car with less effort when some Clown darts in front of my car.
I DID save the original manual master cylinder (in case I move to another state...LOL)

I wish I didn't need the booster set-up, though.

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-29-2019 at 10:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

My plan is to delete the power brakes and move to manual brakes.

As part of the process, I will be trying out different brake pads, paying attention to initial bite and perceived pedal pressure.

Right now the Raybestos pads are a significant improvement over the pads that both came in the car, and were supplied with "loaded" calipers.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684

By changing out one axle set at a time, it's easy to see the improvement in brake performance when doing a lock the brakes stopping test.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:35 PM
VERYSOON
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I rebuilt the entire manual brake system on my '68 project car. The brakes worked great.
The problem is....Louisiana drivers think they are on a "Go Cart Track"....they do not know how to drive safely.
I "got tired" of "standing on the brake pedal" so I upgraded to a power brake master cylinder and booster.

There is a BIG difference....I can stop the car with less effort when some Clown darts in front of my car.
I DID save the original manual master cylinder (in case I move to another state...LOL)

I wish I didn't need the booster set-up, though.
Hey doorgunner
I left New Orleans 60 days before Katrina hit. Lived uptown on Audubon Park. Divine intervention maybe? Moved to North Central Texas. It was a great choice.
Texas is a good spot where I live. Field larks are the biggest problem going to town. My 69 has regular brakes just like my Zcar of 40 years. Love em. I do tend to over brake when I switch to the C5!!
All the best
VS
Old 05-29-2019, 10:42 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Try driving good examples of both if you can. Probably difficult where you are, but who knows. I have always been leery about easily locking up power brakes in a panic stop. To me manual with good pads is perfect. Have Wilwood replacements with Hawk AutoX pads.

I wouldn't say the Wilwoods are an upgrade in performance. They have the same specs as the originals. If you go to bigger rotors and calipers to match that is a different story.

Last edited by ignatz; 05-29-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:09 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

My 6t8 has manual brakes while the 69 are power, the 6t8 will outbrake the 9-car any day of the week, now a friend has a 68 BB with power brakes WOW his P/B work great and if my 69 P/B brakes were only that good. T
Old 05-30-2019, 09:14 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,314 Posts

All that power brakes do is lessen the amount of pressure required to push the pedal, they have no effect on stopping power or braking distance.

I've driven both manual and power brake Corvettes, a couple times, back to back. Personally I prefer the manual brakes, I just think the manual brakes provide a better pedal feel. In my opinion, the manual brakes seem to provide better feedback, and are easier to modulate. Corvette brakes have always had a numb feel to me, when equipped with power brakes.

Upgrading to aluminum Wilwood D8-4 calipers, should have no bearing on the braking ability, of the typical street Corvette. The Wilwoods use the same size pads as OEM calipers, so they don't provide any more friction surface, than a stock caliper. The advantage to the Wilwoods is that they are lighter than stock calipers (6 pounds verse 13 for stock cast iron calipers), which reduces unsprung weight and improves high speed handling, but has little effect on handling in normal street driving situations. Being aluminum, they may also dissipate heat a little quicker, reducing fade, but the likely hood of ever generating enough heat in normal street driving to notice a difference is slim at best. The 6 piston Wilwood D8-6 front calipers, should in theory, improve stopping power and distances, but again I don't know that it would be all that noticeable in typical highway use.

Probably the best upgrade you can make to the Corvette brake system, would be a good set of street performance pads.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

My car is equipped with power brakes, but I remember when I used to drive cars with manual brakes. I do not miss those days at all. If you are not doing an NCRS type of restoration, I would upgrade to power brakes for the sake of safety.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Probably the best upgrade you can make to the Corvette brake system, would be a good set of street performance pads.
The influence that brake pads have on brake performance is vastly underestimated.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:24 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
The influence that brake pads have on brake performance is vastly underestimated.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:47 AM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62

Cheap organic brake pads are an accident hazard and should be banned!
There are so many better choices available.

Get notified of new replies

To Power brakes yes or no?

Old 05-30-2019, 12:17 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Dear Due Vette; I'm in a unique position to answer this, insofar as I HAVE BOTH!

The 69 L-46 M-21 has MANUAL brakes.
The 82 CE has power brakes.
The OWNER has the same legs for BOTH lol!

Given the preference for general overall driving, I'd say POWER BRAKES, CHEVY POWER BRAKES as God and ZORA DUNTOV and countless testing hours and 500,000 units can attest to.

Power brakes may 'overboost' slightly....this is an Owner familiarity issue.
Manual brakes work fine...but upon repeated use, such as going down a big hill, can get tiring. You can really 'feel' the brakes and incipient lock-up and modulation better than the power brakes.

Be careful of this Forum....Many posters will spend your money like it's FREE MONEY....CHEVY power brakes are fantastic, and 'Wilwood's' and etc ARE COMPLETELY UN-NECCESARY.

In the history of C-3's and countless 'articles' on C-3's....I cannot recall ANY auto writer or tester complaining about Corvette Brakes.

Given That I've driven the Autobahn....I'd go with the power brakes. Will not affect the value of your car at all! In fact having them increases your potential market when you sell.

cheers Unkahal.

Auf Weidersehn!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:31 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I did the conversion a year or so ago after multiple times bleeding the brakes. The only thing I did to the actual brake system was add the new power brake master and booster, and move the pedal rod to the proper hole (the conversion does involve more than that but thats already covered in other threads) same hoses, calipers and pads. The difference was night and day. Now saying that, I don't know if the PO had a power brake master in there or a manual brake master in there, but the difference was dramatic

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-30-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Power brakes are a good option to have, if you just drive the car in a normal manner. Trying to get the car turned from a dead stop is almost impossible with standard brakes. The solution to that, if you have standard brakes, is to get the car rolling slightly before turning the wheel.

The braking power is the same for standard brakes and power brakes (most folks don't get that); but the pedal effort is much less with power brakes. Nice to have in busy traffic.

If you are going to road race your car, standard brakes (upgraded properly) are preferable, as you have better 'feel' of the road, IMO. Other than racing the car, having power brakes is a real plus. I've had both and there is no doubt as to which is best for me.

Quick Reply: Power brakes yes or no?