C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM and Ford Merger looking increasingly more viable (Link)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:53 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default GM and Ford Merger looking increasingly more viable (Link)

An interesting read, albeit, still not really something that is being considered. Ford down 45% in the last 5 years doesn’t shock me. They have nothing that really competes with GM other than the F series truck.

Enjoy
-Stroke
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/finan...a0QtnKgVURbvoM
Old 05-30-2019, 03:49 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
They have nothing that really competes with GM other than the F series truck.
I'm pretty sure the Mustang outsells the Camaro and the Challenger, so that's another product. But I will agree that Ford does not offer much in the way of economical cars - IMO their focus on
SUVs above everything else is a mistake. With robots doing much of the grunt work, there is no reason an American car company could not develop a Honda Civic like car. Of course we shouldn't
forget that GM and Dodge got a considerable federal infusion of cheap money (to retool) that Ford did not need, so in essence the feds tipped the scale in favor of both GM and Dodge.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

You're correct about Mustang out-selling Camaro...IMHO Camaro is too large,bloated, heavy, ugly, can't see out of it and lacks utility with its 'gunslit trunk'....shame that...they kept making it worse while touting that it's improved.
They were making 444 a DAY!

Guess in the future....will buy GERMAN instead....I will not buy a FORD ANYTHING, EVER, whatever they call it.

Unkahal.

Owner of a Mercury Corvette...ugh!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Well in the last 10 years the Mustang has only outsold the camaro in the 4 most recent years. And THE ONLY reason for that is because of the extremely low price point of the base line V6 mustang model. Those things sold like Big Macs. I’d like to see “total revenue” compared instead of “units sold” to get a better idea of the comparison though.

The following users liked this post:
Greg (05-30-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:04 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

I do not see this likely, no matter how much the bean counters run their numbers. They are not taking into account the rabid fans. Unkahal showed us a great example with his statement of never owning a Ford. Many people are so brand loyal to the point of fanaticism which would be the downfall of a merger like the one proposed.

If we are being honest, the Mustang did a better job of capturing the 'retro' feel that is currently vogue which I believe is a large part of the reason why they sell so well. I am not a Ford fan by any means but if I were in the market, I would likely go with a Mustang over a Camaro at this point.

The F series trucks are legendary. Anyone who lives in an area where work trucks are the norm can tell you that, although lately the trend has been shifting to Toyota and I am also seeing a lot more GM trucks on the road.

Now, with that all said, I still think GM has a leg up in both value and quality. IMHO, they are shooting themselves in the foot with the different branches and should streamline. They were on the right track when they dropped Pontiac and Oldsmobile but should have continued to include Buick and GMC.

Chevrolet and Cadillac are really all that is needed and would save the company a substantial amount of capital. Anyone who is buying GMC would easily convert to Chevrolet as there are no substantial differences between GMC and Chevy trucks other than cosmetics. The 'luxury' buyers who would normally consider Buick could easily be brought over to the Cadillac family.

I worked for GM in the 80's when literally the only difference between a Buick Skyhawk, Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunbird, Cadillac Cimmaron, and Oldsmobile Firenza was mouldings/stickers and interior packages. Why the hell would you make 5 different cars to compete for the same market against yourself? They are still doing that today, although to a lesser degree.

Anyway, my rant on poor GM economics is over :-p
20mercury (06-01-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 PM
txfatboy1
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

This reply has been changed by myself.... it should have said... I just don't see it happening. But who knows, stranger things have happened.

Last edited by txfatboy1; 05-31-2019 at 11:10 PM. Reason: changed reply
Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jpatrick62
I'm pretty sure the Mustang outsells the Camaro and the Challenger, so that's another product. But I will agree that Ford does not offer much in the way of economical cars - IMO their focus on
SUVs above everything else is a mistake. With robots doing much of the grunt work, there is no reason an American car company could not develop a Honda Civic like car. Of course we shouldn't
forget that GM and Dodge got a considerable federal infusion of cheap money (to retool) that Ford did not need, so in essence the feds tipped the scale in favor of both GM and Dodge.
According to caesalesbase.com 2018 sales all models.
Charger - 80,226
Mustang - 75,842
Challenger - 66,716
Camaro - 50,963

Old 06-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Chevord or Fordolet?
Jstan2014 (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 09:55 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Well in the last 10 years the Mustang has only outsold the camaro in the 4 most recent years. And THE ONLY reason for that is because of the extremely low price point of the base line V6 mustang model. Those things sold like Big Macs. I’d like to see “total revenue” compared instead of “units sold” to get a better idea of the comparison though.

I count 5 years or does 2009 not count?
Old 06-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Dougie McIntire is a moron.
There is a possibility that Ford would acquire GM as GM came to Ford and proposed during the last downturn, but probably not until the next ice age.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 AM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Honestly, it would be a disaster if either Ford or GM would succumb. These are American icons akin to the 4th of July. I love the rivalry and I love that they are American
Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jpatrick62
Honestly, it would be a disaster if either Ford or GM would succumb. These are American icons akin to the 4th of July. I love the rivalry and I love that they are American
Just how "American" are Ford and GM? With all the transplant plants in the US, Toyota, BMW, etc and many of the Ford and GM components made elsewhere, is there really an American car? I know someone will dig into this, but IIRC, one of the Toyota models was the most American a few years ago.
Kacyc3 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 09:23 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

that would be the merger from hell
Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Dougie McIntire is a moron.
There is a possibility that Ford would acquire GM as GM came to Ford and proposed during the last downturn, but probably not until the next ice age.
Didnt they say they are no longer going to build cars other than the Mustang..The only upside I could see to this is having the rights to the LS platform so they could put it in their trucks and the Mustang.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:35 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slammin
Just how "American" are Ford and GM? With all the transplant plants in the US, Toyota, BMW, etc and many of the Ford and GM components made elsewhere, is there really an American car? I know someone will dig into this, but IIRC, one of the Toyota models was the most American a few years ago.
Manufacturing is one thing, and that can change by the decade. Design and development for Ford and GM is still domestic and the loss of either would be catastrophic for US manufacturing.
PainfullySlow (06-04-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Well, this made CF front page news. Not only did I beat them to the punch, but it seems even the CF agrees in it's plausibility.

:P
-Stroke
Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

What Ford and GM should be more concerned about is the foreign manufacturers increasing their domestic sales in the USA.
One of the reasons they loose these sales is Quality...
Fix that and they might increase sales

Get notified of new replies

To GM and Ford Merger looking increasingly more viable (Link)

Old 06-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

I don't think "quality" is a big reason people turn away from GM/Ford for an import. I think "value" is the reason people shy away from domestic for import.

I'm not in the auto industry so I am only being speculative from my anecdotal experiences.

-Stroke
Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't think "quality" is a big reason people turn away from GM/Ford for an import. I think "value" is the reason people shy away from domestic for import.

I'm not in the auto industry so I am only being speculative from my anecdotal experiences.

-Stroke
I bought my DD corolla because I wanted a reliable car that wouldnt need to be in the shop, didnt have an interior that would rattle and break, and still be driven long after its paid off. It currently has 175K miles on it has only been to the stealership for the included oil changes that expired at 25k miles, Its now on its 3rd set of tires,2nd set of wiper blades,2nd set of brake pads,
Old 06-04-2019, 03:07 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I'm now ret'd from auto mfg ... process & q eng ... so what ... never had a decent crystal ball.

One thing seems apparent to me ... seems dealerships' names and owners change much more often than in past.

Seems there was strong dealer loyalty ... often within buying families ... dealer changes hands/names, old loyalty becomes only a memory.

I'm seeing same thing in funeral home businesses.

is it just me? or is it so?

Quick Reply: GM and Ford Merger looking increasingly more viable (Link)