Sponsored by:

1975 L-82 4spd, whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1975 L-82 4spd, whats it worth?

I am trying to get an idea of how much I could get for my 1975 L-82 4 speed manual t-top.
Seems as the original owner only wanted to pay for the better engine but not really for anything else. So there is no AC, no power steering, no power brakes.
The car runs well and strong.

I am trying to see if the car will bring back the money which I put in to fix it up more. Other things came up and the money is getting tight.

I am unable to provide any pictures since I have not really finished the car yet. But let me try to give an Idea of what it will be like:
Runs well and strong.
Brand new professional paint job
New carpet inside
New seats
New tires
New brakes

There is nothing really wrong with the car. so this will get the car pretty close to Done. What would be the price this car could go for?

I wanted to get an idea to decide if I should sell the car unfinished or finish it and then sell it. Thanks for input.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:28 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by skhan
I am trying to get an idea of how much I could get for my 1975 L-82 4 speed manual t-top.
Seems as the original owner only wanted to pay for the better engine but not really for anything else. So there is no AC, no power steering, no power brakes.
The car runs well and strong.

I am trying to see if the car will bring back the money which I put in to fix it up more. Other things came up and the money is getting tight.

I am unable to provide any pictures since I have not really finished the car yet. But let me try to give an Idea of what it will be like:
Runs well and strong.
Brand new professional paint job
New carpet inside
New seats
New tires
New brakes

There is nothing really wrong with the car. so this will get the car pretty close to Done. What would be the price this car could go for?

I wanted to get an idea to decide if I should sell the car unfinished or finish it and then sell it. Thanks for input.
do you have the build sheet that proves it was ordered that way and the options werent removed?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:35 AM
skhan
Intermediate

I dont have the build sheet, but why would someone remove features, thats like, going backwards.

Where would I get the build sheet anyways?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

I dont have the build sheet, but why would someone remove features, thats like, going backwards.

Where would I get the build sheet anyways?
They could have been removed to save weight and make the car faster while racing, some dont like the way power steering feels compared to manual, power brakes also don't give the feed back like manaul brakes do while racing. Have read people up near Canada remove it because they dont need it, it is also removed because it doesnt work and is in the way. Hell Ive seen guys strip those parts out of almost brand new cars they street raced with to save weight and make them faster. Some are on top of the gas tank, some are in the bottom of the seats.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:53 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
They could have been removed to save weight and make the car faster while racing, some dont like the way power steering feels compared to manual, power brakes also don't give the feed back like manaul brakes do while racing. Have read people up near Canada remove it because they dont need it, it is also removed because it doesnt work and is in the way. Hell Ive seen guys strip those parts out of almost brand new cars they street raced with to save weight and make them faster. Some are on top of the gas tank, some are in the bottom of the seats.
Well I guess even if thats the case. Me putting all those feature back in will only increase the expense of it being fixed up. But thanks for bringing it up, I wasnt thinking about it in that way.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Your car doesn’t seem like it’s the type to have those features removed for “performance” or weight concerns. AC particularly usually leaves some traces behind. If you don’t see A/C in it, it likely didn’t have it. More people added PS and PB than removed it.

Im assuming you were talking about fully painting the car, adding new interior, etc, unless I misread your post. Those items you listed are what you plan to do, correct?

Im not going to quote a number, but these cars have been soft at auction these days, particularly coupes. If I were in your situation, to answer your question I would not dump the time and money it would take to restore a car like that, with the end game being to sell it. You could easily exceed the value of the car with a restoration and you will likely be working with numbers in the red at resale time. For example, a “brand new professional paint job” probably costs more than the value of a completed ‘75 low option coupe.

If you plan to sell, get it running right and as cosmetically acceptable as you can without spending a lot of money and let the new owner spend all the money. Let the low price be its selling point.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 06-04-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I dont have the build sheet...Where would I get the build sheet anyways?...
You can't if the previous owner did not include it with the car.
Why not post pics of the car as it sits?
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Using the Corvette DNA app a 75 L82 in Excellent condition, Slightly used restoration or well preserved, with no more than 50K miles with 4 speed is $15,500.

Last edited by MelWff; 06-04-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Not to be contrary, I specifically removed AC and power steering in my 4-speed 80. Not so much to race, but to reduce weight and complexity. My car has one fan belt and three pedals, just the way God and Zora intended.

Can you see a hint of your tank sticker? Mine was faded, but still readable, mostly.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:49 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Using the Corvette DNA app a 75 L82 in Excellent condition, Slightly used restoration or well preserved, with no more than 50K miles with 4 speed is $15,500.

And IMHO that's on a good day with no more than 50K ORIGINAL miles.
The following users liked this post:
F22 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

10k tops. maybe a little more if the paint is exceptional. I've see some really nice rubber bumper cars that cant bring 10k.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tiger Joe:
540 vette (06-04-2019), F22 (06-04-2019), ntfday (06-04-2019), zapper295 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Price depends on a lot of things, year, options, rarity, originality. A 75 L82 4 speed no option coupe is not a high dollar car and I doubt it ever will be. However, I was a sophomore in trade school when they were new and recall seeing them in a full page sunday paper ad. I didn't care if it was a 205 hp slug, I wanted that car. Many years later I bought a 75 L82 4 spd, 355, gymkana, PS coupe with a rotted top windshield frame. The paint was fresh the rest of the car worn.
I paid $3k 10 years ago for it and gave it to my son. I still like the 75's and would consider a nice one so a guy with interest in that setup is what you need to find. The average vette buyer most likely will not be concerned about any of that since it would be a foundation for a resto mod and probably not bring much. Some guys will marry the car and it won't matter, others may think they can flip it and will most likely lose out.

If you have to sell it I would figure your costs. Paint even if you do all the work will still cost over $2000 for materials and paint. It will sell better with good paint more so than say a rebuilt engine since more guys will wrench then do body and paint work. The problem is all those guys like me that wanted that car are hitting 60-65 now, your market is aging.
F22 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:25 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by MelWff
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe
10k tops. maybe a little more if the paint is exceptional. I've see some really nice rubber bumper cars that cant bring 10k.

15+ for a '75 coupe is extremely high.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:28 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Not to be contrary, I specifically removed AC and power steering in my 4-speed 80. Not so much to race, but to reduce weight and complexity. My car has one fan belt and three pedals, just the way God and Zora intended.
Understood, and no offense meant. My point is, in his situation Im going to maintain that removing these items on that model is probably not terribly common and given the price ramifications, any detective work trying to discover the potential of the AC being removed on a '75 coupe is likely not worth the effort given everything else he has to do. YRMV.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by GTR1999

If you have to sell it I would figure your costs. Paint even if you do all the work will still cost over $2000 for materials and paint. It will sell better with good paint more so than say a rebuilt engine since more guys will wrench then do body and paint work. .
Yeah, I was trying to nail down if he was going to paint it, or what a "brand new professional paint job" is supposed to mean. Generally that results in more than a 2k expense. Need more info.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
Yeah, I was trying to nail down if he was going to paint it, or what a "brand new professional paint job" is supposed to mean. Generally that results in more than a 2k expense. Need more info.
Agreed, I last priced PPG paint and material probably over 10 years ago now, where did those years go? At the time $2k is about what it would cost, no labor just paint and material. So current pricing?

Another point of view. I need another corvette like the proverbial hole in the head and a C5 would probably make more sense but if I found that 75 I always wanted I still wouldn't be interested in spending more then $10k knowing it would not be good return on investment. My son bought 50k mile 75 L48 4 spd coupe with very good paint and mint black interior, suspension was rebuilt, new tires, and all the paperwork about 8 years ago for $7500. I would have bought that car for that, it was a complete turn key,low performance driver.
vettebuyer6369 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Understood, and no offense meant. My point is, in his situation Im going to maintain that removing these items on that model is probably not terribly common and given the price ramifications, any detective work trying to discover the potential of the AC being removed on a '75 coupe is likely not worth the effort given everything else he has to do. YRMV.
No offense taken, certainly! I doubt I'm a typical buyer, but I like to think I represent a small and growing demographic that sees these cars as a starting point for a fun restomod. I think GTR1999 nailed it, the value of this car is in the 4-speed, and a bit in the L82, and it is all in the potential for fun, not as a high-option survivor.

Anyway, I fully agree with your previous point. Unlike adding an NCRS correct smog pump to a pristine 69 L-46, for example, almost nothing that is done to this car, beyond making it clean, presentable, driveable, and safe, is likely yield a positive ROI. I'd like to see some as-is pictures.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 L-82 4spd, whats it worth?

Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Well see the Paint is whats actually pushing this resto out of my budget. the PPG paint is going to cost me about 6K. and all the weather stripping is going to be changed as well. Probably new tail lights and emblems as well, on top of the 6K paint job. The finished car will look really clean, I am certain of that. But its about the $ that its going to take. And I dont want to destroy the car by taking it to a corner paint job shop.
The other thing is, I do have all the new parts that I need for it, except (seats). Meaning I am so deep in to resto, its going to be difficult to pull back, but I still rather go a less lose route. May sell the parts separate if the next car buyer doesnt want them.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:30 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ntfday
And IMHO that's on a good day with no more than 50K ORIGINAL miles.
My car has lower than 50K original miles. Somewhere around 44k or 45k I believe. I will have to check.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Your best bet would be to clean it up really well (detail the outside, interior and engine compartment) and sell it 'as-is'. You already have spent a lot of money on "niceties" (rather than necessities), and much of that cannot be recouped. You cannot predict what a potential buyer may or may not want on a car. But, it would be BEST (IMO) to clean it well and sell as it is now.

Removing A/C and P/S was a mistake, unless you wanted to keep it that way for yourself. Your sales dollars will clearly give you that message.

Quick Reply: 1975 L-82 4spd, whats it worth?