C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best venue for selling a non collectable Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Whats the best venue for selling a non collectable Vette?

Gents, life is taking me in a different direction and Im considering selling my Vette. Its nothing special (to anyone other than me), as a restomod, franken-vette with nice paint and a healthy 454. As its built and given its condition, its a car worth about 10K.

Im wondering what some of the more successful sales venues out there are? Im not on Facebook. Ive sold on Craigslist before but OH MAN does CL bring out the weirdos. As newspapers and paper print adds are no longer a thing, what else can I use? I dont have much time to 'show' the car and very few shops up here will do a 'consignment' sale.

Again, this isnt a high dollar car and will not attract collectors or purists. It WILL excite a guy who wants a Corvette with a strong engine and nice paint for a decent budget. Any suggestion?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:26 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Hemmings, Autotrader
Old 06-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

List it here in the for sale section. Don't forget some pictures, too.
Duane
Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Why not advertise it here on the c3 cars for sale section ? It's free as well.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe Im afraid people will pick on me. The car is a 72 frame, 82 body, 454 powerplant, Z01 seats.....I mean its enough that the purists here will feel a disturbance in the force and hunt me down.

You guys are right, Ill give it a shot here. It cant hurt.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scottd:
EarlyC34me (06-04-2019), Steven_Belgium (06-10-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Maybe Im afraid people will pick on me. The car is a 72 frame, 82 body, 454 powerplant, Z01 seats.....I mean its enough that the purists here will feel a disturbance in the force and hunt me down.

You guys are right, Ill give it a shot here. It cant hurt.
Actually sounds pretty good for $10k. You might be surprised about posting it on here.

For that type of car, Craigslist works well though it does bring out the crazies. I would actually suggest eBay. You’ll certainly get a ton of attention and that isn’t enough money to scare people away.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

You can consign it with a classic car dealer. I have a '23 T- bucket consigned with Streetside Classics right now. I've sold plenty of cars myself but sometimes it's worth it to get a little less money to save a lot of work and aggravation.

Last edited by Cool95vette; 06-04-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:35 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

I sold my 1979 Corvette on Craig’s list two years go. I listed it on Hemmings, Auto Trader and on the Forum. Received a few responses from Hemmings and none from the others. I also listed on ebay for one week.

I listed on Craig’s lists in areas within several hours from my house. Sold it to someone about two hours away.

I did get the usual Craig’s list scammers, fishing for my email address and asking to ship the car with an agent.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd

The forum has clear specific rules against Interference in a Sales thread. That means any commentary about price, condition, assembly or anything else that does not forward the sale of a members car results in a Warning or time off.

Interference was a major issue awhile back and we don't allow it. There were people who were afraid to post their cars, much like you are suggesting.
The following users liked this post:
Steven_Belgium (06-10-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:28 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Big block Chevy c3 ? What's not to like , especially for that price your asking . It would help the sale if your pics show there's no rust in the usual places of course.
71 Green 454 (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:52 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Might try BRING A TRAILER online auction site. You can sell reserve or no reserve.
wer2xu (06-09-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 11:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The answer to your original question depends on where you live. If you are in an area where there are many folks looking for a C3 (larger cities), local want ads, quick-mart car sales paperbacks, etc. can be a good way to make buyers aware of your car. If you are in a more rural area (not many potential buyers locally), you need to advertise in regional or national ad systems. This Forum (sales section), internet car sales, nearest large city newspaper want ads, etc. would be a better choice, IMO.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-05-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I would absolutely positively recommend Hemmings magazine for sale section. They have several magazines, I'd recommend Muscle Car. Anyhow google Hemmings.

Also, restomods will sell on Barrett Jackson auto auctions. Of course, the restomods they sell which you see in magazines are big buck restomods, but they do sell cars more humble in appearance. It's pretty rare to see a 454 in a late model 82. With a 72 frame, you should be able to license it in a state like California which requires strict smog equipment compliance for 76 and up.

My next door neighbor makes his living selling expensive, upper end late model used cars. He's warned me to not use Craig's List to sell cars...to many scam artists.

My 68 Convertible is a restomod but still pretty "straight." The exterior is factory except for the 69 side mount exhaust and modified rear exhaust body panel (no exhaust openings). The interior is factory except for 69 seat headrests. It has factory duplicate shoulder belts with 69 seat back retainer clips. The shifter and shift pattern console plate look stock, but its really a Tremac 5 speed. The engine is a ZZ4 with the GM Performance Parts catalog serpentine belt drive. Except for the window roll up mechanisms, ring and pinion, roller bearings in the steering column, all moving parts have been replaced or rebuilt.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 06-07-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:14 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Sell it on ebay

Sell it on ebay.

Agree CL is full of some strange people depending on the commodity. Musical instruments are the worse. Auto and boat stuff have pretty good buyers I think.

I have bought and sold a number of Corvettes on ebay. Post with lots of photos, straight up honest good, bad, and ugly info. Post with a starting price that is the lowest you would take without a reserve (no games of a buyer guessing at your reserve). And there is a "reverse logic" with a no reserve pricing in that if you start too high (often the case), nobody will bid and you can then relist at a lower price if you like as you have learned something. If you start with too low a price, the market will bid it up which is also useful feedback. Ebay gives you a national audience for a reasonable cost I think. I avoid overseas sales as too risky for me, but that is just me.

Good luck and hope this might help.

Last edited by 20mercury; 06-08-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Many variables to take into account when trying to sell a car. Your location will really determine what you can use that will move the car to a new home.
Classic Auto Trader, Hemmings and Ebay will cost you money but some have list it until it sells guarantees. If you do enough research you'll know what the car is really worth.
You'll need to be patient if the price is fair and not a fire sale.
I would use Craigslist but be very specific that joy rides will not be allowed. Serious cash buyers only... no trades, no help and all that disclaimer stuff.
If you don't want to haggle much, find a price that you will not go below and list it as your very firm price.... you can lose money this way but an overly high listing price with lots of wiggle room may deter interested parties.
Require phone calls only will keep the spammers away for the most part. Use lots of pictures to answer the most basic questions.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:40 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That sounds like a perfect car for BAT, Bring a Trailer.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I would absolutely positively recommend Hemmings magazine for sale section. They have several magazines, I'd recommend Muscle Car. Anyhow google Hemmings.

Also, restomods will sell on Barrett Jackson auto auctions. Of course, the restomods they sell which you see in magazines are big buck restomods, but they do sell cars more humble in appearance. It's pretty rare to see a 454 in a late model 82. With a 72 frame, you should be able to license it in a state like California which requires strict smog equipment compliance for 76 and up.

My next door neighbor makes his living selling expensive, upper end late model used cars. He's warned me to not use Craig's List to sell cars...to many scam artists.

My 68 Convertible is a restomod but still pretty "straight." The exterior is factory except for the 69 side mount exhaust and modified rear exhaust body panel (no exhaust openings). The interior is factory except for 69 seat headrests. It has factory duplicate shoulder belts with 69 seat back retainer clips. The shifter and shift pattern console plate look stock, but its really a Tremac 5 speed. The engine is a ZZ4 with the GM Performance Parts catalog serpentine belt drive. Except for the window roll up mechanisms, ring and pinion, roller bearings in the steering column, all moving parts have been replaced or rebuilt.
Not entirely sure, but even though the OP car is described as a “restomod,” I’m not sure most people would consider it one. Just sounds like a modified car. People call everything that’s not stock a restomod these days.

That being the case, Craigslist, eBay and a free ad at this site sound like the best places to start.
71 Green 454 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:55 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Also need to do homework on emissions inspection. What state are you in and near?

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the best venue for selling a non collectable Vette?

Quick Reply: Whats the best venue for selling a non collectable Vette?