Sponsored by:

Adjust headlight closed position

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Fastclient
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Adjust headlight closed position

Installed a new actuator on my '79, opens and locks with a nice "thud" but when it closes it doesn't close all the way to hit the down stop. I can push the headlight down till it hits the stop and is level with the body but it just pops back up a quarter inch or so.My question is do I shorten the the pull on the actuator by screwing the clevis in or do I make the adjustment by moving the bracket. I'm not sure which to do because I don't want to screw up the open position. I watched the Willcox you tube video on adjusting the clevis but don't understand if the actuator rod is out or in or what is going on. Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

I just went through this a few months back during my reassembly. There's a lot of little adjustments - I took lots of "before" photos and marked them so I could get them back together in the same spot. I also took measurements of the actuator rod and various other areas that helped. It sounds like you just replaced the actuators (which I did too) but from what you're describing, it sounds like you need to screw the clevis in to shorten the throw in it's seated position. Then adjust the little screw/bolt stop to make sure your height is still good. I messed around with it for a while before I got it just right - probably could still be adjusted a wee bit, but it's pretty close to being right on.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Zip posts instructions with useful photos that really helped me to get through it last weekend. It includes a pic of the adjusting stop bolt (lengthen or shorten for down or up) so that you don't need to mess with the clevis-actuator length.
Good luck -
Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I was able to hunt down the link to the Zip article that helped me to adjust what you are encountering. hope it helps. Dave V.

https://www.corvettemagazine.com/tec...l-replacement/

Get notified of new replies

To Adjust headlight closed position

Quick Reply: Adjust headlight closed position