Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 Fuel Tank & Gauge Problem

Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Psychovette
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 Fuel Tank & Gauge Problem

When storing my '79 vette for the winter, I filled the tank with premium fuel and added gasoline Store And Start liquid like I do every fall. Usually I have no issues in the spring when removing the car from storage. This spring the gas gauge stays "pegged" past "F" regardless of how much is actually in the tank. I've been told that '78 and '79 Corvettes have rubber "bladders" in the tanks that come apart over time and cause the fuel sender float assembly to jamb. Is it possible to remove this bladder from the top of the gas filler after removing the door and fuel tank filler pipe? I'd hate to have to drain and remove the tank in order to do this. Anyone ever have any luck dealing with this issue?
Thanks, "Pychovette"
Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM
MelWff
CF Senior Member

Received 653 Likes on 627 Posts

first check the ground wire for the sender, poor connection or broken connection you get a full reading
Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 PM
bradleyb66
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

The 'bladder' on my 79 tank is a hard plastic, so it cannot be removed period. I assume that all 79 tanks were this way, but can't be 100% certain. I'd check out the gauge and sender before messing with the tank. Willcox Corvette has some good debug info: http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=&s=fuel+gauge
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 PM
KapsSA
CF Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

The following users liked this post:
bradleyb66 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Psychovette
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 Fuel Tank & Gauge Problem

Originally Posted by MelWff View Post
first check the ground wire for the sender, poor connection or broken connection you get a full reading
Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping that it IS only the ground strap. The only wire that seems to be a ground strap is located on the driver's side on the frame near the tail lights. It looks clean but I'll clean it again and check for conductivity. Changing out the fuel gauge is much easier than draining and dropping the fuel tank! I had been told that the '78 and '79 Corvettes had rubber linings instead of plastic ones.
Psychovette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '79 Fuel Tank & Gauge Problem

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: