Sponsored by:

What's your predictions of the future price of the c3

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 PM
atthemattin
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What's your predictions of the future price of the c3

Every time I find something new I need to fix, I ask myself if it's worth it. Now I know this isn't a car that you buy trying to get every penny back when the day comes to sell it. But, I do question what's going to happen to these cars now that we can see a push for electronic. I'm curious if these will ever be as valuable as the c2s. Or, if we will still be able to drive them in the next 20 years. What's your thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

They made way more C-3 s than C-2s. For that reason alone, I dont think the C-3 will ever rise to that level. That being said, don't care. I bought a 69 because for me thats the car that does it . Personal choice. Seems like the numbers I am hearing right now, are around 40 grand buys a nicely appointed BB car, with the exception of the pedigree cars and special interest vehicals. I think we may see that # move north in the coming years, but I dont have any research to back that up. Just my appreciation for a car I fell in love with as a young man.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by atthemattin
I'm curious if these will ever be as valuable as the c2s. Or, if we will still be able to drive them in the next 20 years. What's your thoughts?
I dont think the C3's will ever be as valuable as the C2's, of course we are talking about condition being comparable.

Not sure what model year you have, but I do believe the chrome bumpered ones will continue to slowly appreciate.

Keep up on the maint and they should have no problem running for another 20 years!
Old 06-19-2019, 06:46 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

The C3's in general, will never be worth what the C2's are worth, simply because they only made C2's for five years and they made C3's for three times as long. Workmanship wise, the dashes on the C2 are sure a lot easier to work on, ditto the door panels and the C2's had electric motors for the headlights! Why they went to vacuum on the C3, is beyond me Add the panache of the C2's always being a 'hot car' through it's production run, versus the C3's early legacy, getting watered down at the end.

Comparing the C3 Corvette to it's Bowtie siblings, like the Camaro and Chevelle, while not apples to oranges, certainly more people are finding the Camaro/Chevelle cars are in demand. They don't have a complex rear suspension that rusts likes nobody's business just from sitting, versus a solid rear axle, that hardly has to get touched or even messed with. The interiors are tough, with the door panels a bitch to get to fit back, forming themselves into potato chips after decades, versus the flat cardboard backed Camaro/Chevelle panels and we won't even go into the four piece dash, nor the tough job of finding anywhere to put anything aftermarket into these cars. And I've never seen so many door lock and latch troubles with any Chevelle, Camaro, Impala or Nova, like I see with the C3.

That being said, the one thing going is the attrition rate of these cars, because so many of them will go by the way side eventually, that the rarity itself, might just boost the prices. You've got to be really dedicated to own one of these and keep it going. They are sexy looking, they are a sports car and they have a legacy all their own, but that doesn't mean, everybody wants one either, when given a choice. The proof is in the pricing of the C3, versus it's Bowtie siblings. I love my '74, even with being a cantankerous, tough to work on, little bitch and I've nearly replaced every part on this car.
Bally (01-08-2021)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 541 Posts

Some perspective on the value of the C2s vs. C3s. I owned a 67 vert for 12 years. Paid $2450 for it in 1972. Drove it almost every day thru snow, sleet etc. Loved the car until I realized what it was worth. I then was afraid to drive it. Sold it for almost $25K. I now have a 78 S/A that I paid about $1000 for it. Putting a lot of money in it, but I will never have to worry about it being worth so much money that I will be afraid to drive it. And if I leave it with it's original PATINA, I won't have to worry about someone stealing it. Now if I can only finish the project and drive the thing....
Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by atthemattin
. I'm curious if these will ever be as valuable as the c2s. Or, if we will still be able to drive them in the next 20 years. What's your thoughts?
Depends what you consider value?

To me the value is from the satisfaction and enjoyment I get from working and driving my C3s.

I've had a couple C2s- but more emotionally attached to the coke bottle shaped ones- since 40 years ago in High School, I purchased my first vette -a 68. And will never forget at 11 staring at the bright yellow 71 sitting on the dealership showroom.

So to me- the C3 has a lot more value.

The future? Autonomous cars and the problem will be "you" driving. Government won't make driving illegal- but insurance companies will price you out of driving your own car.
AllC34Me (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

i think all of them (corvettes) are done appreciating and they are also done depreciating
plus fewer and fewer folks want the high end all numbers cars.
those of us that know how to shift gears are dying off...
laws are constantly giving us the disincentive to own one.

of course one will get extra for anything they do to improve their car vs less for doing something that will lower the condition of their car.
F22 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 PM
firstgenaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 230 Posts

The high performance versions which relatively few people actually chose when new will continue to climb in value.
It was once thought that Model A's would eventually stop being restored etc... the market has come back a bit on them as demand from younger enthusiasts are reducing the available inventory... they are simple to work on and simple to repair...
Although quite a bit more technology is in the C3 they are not full of processors running code... thus they are relatively easy to repair.
F22 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I love this question and I am glad you posted it for us; I had to think about it for a while honestly, before answering. The future of the gasoline engine in general is, unfortunately, uncertain. The future of generations wanting to work on these cars to keep them running it also uncertain. My son became a part of the small car modification crowed for a while and has since grown out of that phase but he told me he couldn't afford to play with a Corvette, so he played with a Ford Focus. The hobby isn't dying, the hobbyist are, which means fewer people to own and maintain these wonderful C-3's. I took a 65 convertible to my senior prom in high school (1971) and wished I owned it now. Borrowed from an uncle that passed away long ago. Cousin had a 69 big block he took into the ditch after Viet Nam. He survived, the car did not. I have owned and worked on and driven a 77 modified; a 77 stock; a 71 frame off restoration; a 72 road race replica big block; and now a 74 convertible. I managed to have them in my life and pass on to another gaining a lot of knowledge with each car I owned. Didn't make money on them; likely lost money on them all; but learned a great deal. The value has been in my being able to learn and wrench on these cars. My son my want my 74 convertible when I am gone, not sure, but I am putting it back to "nearly new" so it has a chance of living as long as it can before becoming another junk yard tragedy. Value isn't going to go up on this one in my opinion; that ship has sailed. If you have a numbers matching, restored, 69 350/350 L-46 convertible in excellent condition then you have an appreciable asset in your stable. My 1974 L-48 automatic convertible; not so much; but like Richard suggested earlier I am good with it because I get value in working on it. Everyone wants to sell when the market is high, and buy when the market is low, and this is a buyers market. Me, I'm going to hold now.

Thanks again for asking, good question.

David Howard
AllVettes4Me
The following 5 users liked this post by AllC34Me:
Bally (01-08-2021), F22 (06-20-2019), leigh1322 (06-21-2019), maj75 (06-20-2019), Old-Dog (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 AM
Barrist
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I can't say I even think of future prices. I'm not playing this Corvette Game for any return, just a hobby.

I convinced myself ( and the Better-Half ) that I could spend those same dollars setting at a Bar. But instead buy my beer at the grocery store and drink at home.....

The SAVINGS go into the cars.

Have a Great Day,

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Barrist:
20mercury (06-21-2019), Metalhead140 (06-21-2019), Steven_Belgium (06-22-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I really could care less what the value or price of the future holds for my 2 cars. I am in this for the hobby. It is therapy for me. I have way to much money in both cars, probably north of 6 figures and will never get that back. If they both vanished tomorrow well that sucks but life goes on. If you are looking to make money or break even while driving these probably not a good idea to own one. They will cost you money. Your money is better invested in other areas if you are looking to not lose money. These are a fun hobby. Some guys play golf some own boats (I have one of these also) and some have other hobbys. They are all expensive. Enjoy it for what you want out of it. When it comes time to check out weather you have 1 penny or a billion dollars you will never regret saying "I had a cool Vette".
The following 4 users liked this post by Gordonm:
AllC34Me (06-21-2019), Hayes69 (06-23-2019), JW3101 (06-22-2019), Metalhead140 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:57 AM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

Predicting future prices for collectibles is always a crap shoot, it's basically a matter of timing and personal preferences. Who would have thought that some of the 50's and 60's toys would appreciate in value to collector status? That being said, things come into and go out of fashion with each generation. We do know that current stock of C3 cars, particularly chrome bumper types are dwindling relatively fast. I used to see C3s with regularity around these parts (along with old Mustangs) but lately it is rare that I see them. The thing that the C2 (and to a lesser degree the C3) had going for it is classic lines - lines that even today draw the eye. Classics generally don't fade in value much since they transcend time to a degree that even the young today go "wow" when they see one. Add to this the relatively ease of repair (compared to today's hyper complex engines and mechanics shoehorned into small areas) and, IMO the C3's will at least hold their own. Remember that much appreciation (like the value of your house) is due to the federal government's need to monetize the debt and create bubbles to keep the debt fueled economy on life support.
Hayes69 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

C3's are fully valued. I do not see much of an upside. Good ones will always be in demand but lesser C3's will not improve much in value.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:09 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

I have been thinking and seeing the decline for a while now. I bought my first Vette in 2016??? I then had quickly decided I NEEDED another one. A very specific convertible of course. So I have been carefully following the market. Unless the car is something very special or priced very very competitively they are not selling. I see cars that have been on the market for months and some years at the same asking price going nowhere. I also have encounter many “flippers” or restorers who are significantly upside down in a car and cannot and probably won’t get their money out.

I think we are seeing a general decline decline in all collector cars across the board. Face if we are old and not enough of the new generation is interested. For the most part the 80s and 90s were not stellar years for US muscle cars. So that’s a lost generation or two.

But in saying that and as as it’s been already stated I do this for the fun of it. I have worked hard and rarely treated myself to something frivolous. ( don’t get upsets all know I really don’t need to have a vette or two but I really want to have them ). So this is my reward, my fun, my play thing especially when I retire etc. Will I make money of of them. I seriously doubt it but that’s the nephews and nieces problem. In fact when I bought the first one I texted them that I was spending their inheritance.

The demise of the gas engine may be the final knife in the back for them. When who knows. But I also like to say that this generation is so easily swayed by the media. One good movie or video game about a Vette could resurrect the hobby. Will that happen, will it last, probably not. So enjoy and have fun and I hope you can make your money elsewhere!!!! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 06-20-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:42 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
The hobby isn't dying, the hobbyist are, which means fewer people to own and maintain these wonderful C-3's.
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Pretty much sums it up, simple and to the point. I would like to see an age break down for c1-3 owners. If the majority is in the 30-40 year old group that is positive for values, support business, and keeping the cars on the road.

If the majority is in the 50-60-70 group, which I am, then good night Irene.
AllC34Me (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I DON'T CARE! I read endless 'pricing threads'....I do believe this turns this 'hobby and 'affliction' into a commodity. Makes my stomach hurt. Look at the housing market and the 'house flippers'...disgusting!

If money is your goal invest in Google. There is a certain sub-set of Corvetters that act like C-3's are Krugerrands.

Enjoy your 'commodity' one mile and one dollar at a time.

Being older...if you want a look at the future, look to the past. I remember the chrome bumper value discussion when the urethane bumpers came out.

As long as there is Alcohol let alone gasoline available or make-able, I'll be driving a Vette!

Unkahal
The following 4 users liked this post by L-46man:
AllC34Me (06-21-2019), cor66vette (06-24-2019), leigh1322 (06-21-2019), Metalhead140 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Pretty much sums it up, simple and to the point. I would like to see an age break down for c1-3 owners. If the majority is in the 30-40 year old group that is positive for values, support business, and keeping the cars on the road.

If the majority is in the 50-60-70 group, which I am, then good night Irene.
...yep, Gary I'm in the same boat @ 58yrs old. I "like" the C1s & C2s, just don't "love" them like C3s. I can't justify even wanting a C1 or C2 for the money they're asking for them. Just reckon I'll be stuck with my two original C3s that I bought in '88 & '89.

1968 Corvette conv bought 4/'88

1974 Corvette coupe bought 5/'89
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Borowski:
AllC34Me (06-21-2019), Gold Dragon (06-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To What's your predictions of the future price of the c3

Old 06-21-2019, 01:52 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I wonder if possibly the "decline" in values in the US over the past 5 years or so is (at least partially) about the world market. While the US $ was low 5-10 years ago, thousands of US cars came here to Australia, and I would expect that was true for many other countries also. Cars that were common in the US but always rare and desirable here, like C3s and Mustangs came in at a phenomenal rate. I'd basically never seen a C3 Corvette until that time, and now there's at least a couple at almost every weekend classic car show. These cars were worth substantial money before then, and a lot of people made a lot of money by importing and selling them. The values of the cars here went down substantially, and it was a buyers market. Since, the US $ has come back up, and restrictions have made importation harder, and the values have climbed continually as a result... You guys wouldn't believe the prices that rubber bumper c3s regularly sell for over here. A pretty rough but drivable registered small block auto rubber bumper c3 sells for up around $20,000US. A nice rubber bumper car can be $35kUS or more.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 06-21-2019 at 01:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Metalhead140:
AllC34Me (06-21-2019), F22 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 12:13 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

My 2 cents:

Haggerty has C3's at 8th place from the bottom of the bottom 25:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ssics-cool-off

I would not say Haggerty is 100% the sole accurate source, but one of many data points to consider. In general IMO, Haggerty is overpriced.

And, the gasoline engine is not going anywhere and will be around a very long time.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:24 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,656 Likes on 2,917 Posts

Cars and Corvettes get restored everyday and sometimes more than once in the cars life.
My 73 was restored by the 2nd owner about 20 years ago with new paint, interior, some suspension and engine work.
When I complete my frame off resto/mod everything will be new.
It's the build and driving a classic that keeps the value of these cars up and ever increasing.
There is a guy who just built a Factory Five Racing 33 Hot Rod with an electric motor putting out 700 foot pounds of torque.
Could we actually see hot rods of the future with electric motors?
I think we could.
Would I drive a C3 with an electric motor pushing over 700 ft lbs tq?
Yep.
Old-Dog (06-23-2019)

Quick Reply: What's your predictions of the future price of the c3