Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:49 PM
grumpy73
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

2 weeks the 73 and me will run the tail!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by grumpy73:
74_stingray (06-23-2019), juggernautZ06 (06-26-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...have fun & be careful. Have done it twice on a rented Harley trike. Watch especially for motorcycles & people coming at you LEFT of THEIR center!!!
The following users liked this post:
74_stingray (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 09:31 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

I expect it to be fully documented, with photos and videos, just like @Techoca 's trip:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tail-trip.html

Have fun and be safe!
74_stingray (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:02 PM
addballer696
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You’re gonna have a blast! Be carful, there was a biker pinned against a rock wall when I was there. Also be sure to check out the photo websites. Sorry if the photo is huge, on my phone
The following 3 users liked this post by addballer696:
74_stingray (06-23-2019), kenpofan (06-28-2019), mrichi (06-27-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:21 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

It’s great fun! I am planning on going back this fall, I want to do it with the new 17” rubber on the car. Any excuse is ok

Last edited by 74_stingray; 06-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.
cincygman (06-26-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Parade Rainer....sorry...35 mph speed limit....I'd die of boredom first.

It ain't what it used to be.

edit....road trip article. (ps My Bro did the TOTD on his BMW Sodermichael....his assesment 'waste of time')

1. The curves. If you’ve never been to the Tail of the Dragon, you probably think it’s a fun, winding road where you can have a good time exploring the limits of your car. But really, it’s like trying to drive a pontoon boat through Venice.

There are two main problems. One is the sheer number of curves. Think of it this way: 318 curves in 11 miles translates to an average of one curve every 60 yards. That means just as you’re coming out of one curve, you’re slamming on the brakes for the next one. You never get above 40 miles per hour.

The other problem the type of curves. These aren’t sweeping bends. No, sirree. These are harsh, tight corners; the kind where you might say “Honey, we can’t take that road!” if you were, for example, bringing home a fish from PetSmart.

2. It’s crowded. I recently made the mistake of visiting the Tail of the Dragon on a weekend in the summer, which meant I encountered what I can only assume was every single car club that operates between Miami and Greater Toronto. As I recall, it was the Isetta Club that really ruined things for everyone.

It’s not only cars. The sheer volume of motorcycles at the Tail of the Dragon is such that riders who frequent the area have taken to manufacturing a robotic arm that sticks out from their chest and gives that two-finger wave that motorcyclists are always giving to one another. If bikers didn’t have this, they would never have their left hand on the handlebars.

3. Police are everywhere. The last time I visited, I was given a ticket by a police officer who openly admitted he had “no idea” if I had committed the offense he described. Of course, I paid the ticket anyway, because going back up there would probably mean a) getting another ticket, or b) getting stuck behind the Isetta club.

4. There are better roads nearby. And now we come to the biggest problem with the Tail of the Dragon. While the Dragon is full of tight corners, and traffic, and police, many nearby roads have none of those problems. In fact, there are dozens of well-paved, little-traveled area roads with excellent sweeping corners and little traffic. And they’re largely free from police, who are busy clearing an accident where two motorcyclists lost their hands after colliding while attempting to give each other two-fingered waves.

Seriously: it doesn’t matter if you visit the Devil’s Triangle, or the Cherohala Skyway, or some other road that sounds like a place Harry Potter might wake up with his lightning bolt scar throbbing. All of the area is a car lover’s paradise.

And so I suggest: forget about the Tail of the Dragon, and instead enjoy everything that the North Carolina and Tennessee mountains have to offer. And don’t worry about getting lost. Just follow the signs with the bullet holes.

Unkahal

Last edited by L-46man; 06-24-2019 at 02:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by L-46man:
jimco84x (06-25-2019), Puniphorous (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been there at least 20 times over the years and got Tee shirts to prove it!! Just something to do on a dull Saturday.Its not a fun ride - constant turning, watching out for cycles cutting corners, passing in no pass zones, and rounding curves on both sides of the road. Not unusual see a wrecked cycle on every trip. Narrow road - sheer rock walls on one side, sheer drop offs on the other..Do it just to say you have, then move on to the more scenic roads....
There is a motel/restaurant/gas station at the southern start of the tail that has a huge tree - called the tree of shame - something to see, Covered with car parts, motorcycle parts and maybe a few body parts from those who didn't make it unscathed. Good Luck!!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 AM
Puniphorous
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man

edit....
4. There are better roads nearby. And now we come to the biggest problem with the Tail of the Dragon. While the Dragon is full of tight corners, and traffic, and police, many nearby roads have none of those problems. In fact, there are dozens of well-paved, little-traveled area roads with excellent sweeping corners and little traffic. And they’re largely free from police, who are busy clearing an accident where two motorcyclists lost their hands after colliding while attempting to give each other two-fingered waves.

Seriously: it doesn’t matter if you visit the Devil’s Triangle, or the Cherohala Skyway, or some other road that sounds like a place Harry Potter might wake up with his lightning bolt scar throbbing. All of the area is a car lover’s paradise.

And so I suggest: forget about the Tail of the Dragon, and instead enjoy everything that the North Carolina and Tennessee mountains have to offer. And don’t worry about getting lost. Just follow the signs with the bullet holes.

Unkahal

I can confirm this.
Best time to drive the dragon is late at night or VERY early morning on a weekday.
MUCH better roads exist within 30 minutes of the dragon. Look in Cocke county for 3 digit hiways leaving the "city" of Newport.

Last edited by Puniphorous; 06-25-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:40 AM
cincygman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to the dragon 17, 18, 19 times. I also have the t-shirts to prove it. 😀 as mentioned earlier, best times are very early or late on week days. Miggle og the week is better since most od the dragon enthusiast go on extended weekends. As far as excellent raods to cruise, look up "America rides maps" an inexpensive place to purchase maps for that entire area listing the best routes.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I've done it 3 times, fun but watch the motorcycles!
Old 06-26-2019, 12:35 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,934 Likes on 1,620 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Drove it once, kind of a "been there-done that" thing. Cool after the first 50 or so turns, but about halfway through, I found it so tedious, couldn't wait for a straight-a-way.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:49 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Sounds like the road to Hana... https://roadtohana.com/ at least the curves part. Pretty cool though.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:54 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

It sounds perfect for my first trip.
I'll be taking it easy getting the feel of the car, and more interested in the scenery at this point since I covet the mountain roads as much as you guys enjoy the fast drives.
Faster turns can come with more experience (and leaving "Precious" at the main street mall in town for the day
Old 06-26-2019, 02:56 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Go on a Tuesday or Wednesday and after the summer is over and it may not be too crowded. I have been several times ad have followed this rule and had a lot of fun. I love the tight curves, it is like being in a video game. You just need to know your limits and not exceed them. My personal rule: if I touch the center line or the edge of the road, I have to slow down.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:11 PM
cincygman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Go on a Tuesday or Wednesday and after the summer is over and it may not be too crowded. I have been several times ad have followed this rule and had a lot of fun. I love the tight curves, it is like being in a video game. You just need to know your limits and not exceed them. My personal rule: if I touch the center line or the edge of the road, I have to slow down.
Good advice. I pushed the limit on the fast bike and all i can say is that God must have had special guardian angels for me that day. I pushed the front end so hard and low, that there were scuff marks all around to the side of the tire where it read "Bridgestone"........ I now ride a cruiser..... Some day I'll take a Vette on it to check that one off the list.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:46 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the Hana comment... Been there and done that too!! And survived.....
Old 06-27-2019, 04:02 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Originally Posted by JimT
Love the Hana comment... Been there and done that too!! And survived.....
Me too, but not in the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Tail of the Dragon

Old 06-27-2019, 09:14 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

Been there done that and it was fun I hope you have fun as well. The worst thing is the cops literally despise people coming there to drive that road.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Have you ever been before?

I just recently went (from Arizona), and while the 'Tail' was nice, the outlying circumference that includes the 11 miles of the 'Tail' was so much better for me.

Don't forget the Foothills Parkway, Cherokee National Forest, and if possible, the Great Smoky Mountain National Park is also nearby.
Enjoy!!

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 06-27-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:38 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man

edit....road trip article. (ps My Bro did the TOTD on his BMW Sodermichael....his assesment 'waste of time')

1. The curves. If you’ve never been to the Tail of the Dragon, you probably think it’s a fun, winding road where you can have a good time exploring the limits of your car. But really, it’s like trying to drive a pontoon boat through Venice.

There are two main problems. One is the sheer number of curves. Think of it this way: 318 curves in 11 miles translates to an average of one curve every 60 yards. That means just as you’re coming out of one curve, you’re slamming on the brakes for the next one. You never get above 40 miles per hour.

The other problem the type of curves. These aren’t sweeping bends. No, sirree. These are harsh, tight corners; the kind where you might say “Honey, we can’t take that road!” if you were, for example, bringing home a fish from PetSmart.

2. It’s crowded. I recently made the mistake of visiting the Tail of the Dragon on a weekend in the summer, which meant I encountered what I can only assume was every single car club that operates between Miami and Greater Toronto. As I recall, it was the Isetta Club that really ruined things for everyone.

It’s not only cars. The sheer volume of motorcycles at the Tail of the Dragon is such that riders who frequent the area have taken to manufacturing a robotic arm that sticks out from their chest and gives that two-finger wave that motorcyclists are always giving to one another. If bikers didn’t have this, they would never have their left hand on the handlebars.

3. Police are everywhere. The last time I visited, I was given a ticket by a police officer who openly admitted he had “no idea” if I had committed the offense he described. Of course, I paid the ticket anyway, because going back up there would probably mean a) getting another ticket, or b) getting stuck behind the Isetta club.

Unkahal
L-46man, I was originally going to point out one funny quote out of your post (the PetSmart comment), but as I continued reading I realized the whole thing was riddled with superb comic writing, yet still containing very useful information. You are knocking on HeadsU.P.'s door!

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 06-29-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon