Sponsored by:

Ethanol free gas for ZZ4 engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:24 PM
PRIrish
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ethanol free gas for ZZ4 engines

What do ZZ4 engine owners think about ethanol free gasoline? I believe 92 octane gasoline is recommended for ZZ4 engines. Since pure gasoline has higher content and burns more efficiently, would 90 octane ethanol free gasoline work as well as 92 or 93 octane ethanol mix gasoline? I would appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM
Edward Ackley
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default gas

do a search for pure gas in your area lists sta that sell it
Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ethanol free would be my choice, but running eth wont hurt your engine.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:10 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The octane rating is the octane rating.
Your question is like which weighs more. A ton of feathers or a ton of lead weight. Both things are made up of different things but the weight is the same.
92 Octane E10 has the same octane rating as 92 octane E0 "pure" gas.... 92
Look for 92 octane pure gas.

Last edited by ConnecticutJunkman; 06-25-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

While ethanol has less specific 'power' per gallon it has a much higher octane number than gasoline...something like 128 Octane.
So you could put a tidge more alky in it to raise it to 92.

Otherwise the only fuel that I know of is AVGAS that has no ethanol in it.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM
PRIrish
Instructor

Originally Posted by ConnecticutJunkman
The octane rating is the octane rating.
Your question is like which weighs more. A ton of feathers or a ton of lead weight. Both things are made up of different things but the weight is the same.
92 Octane E10 has the same octane rating as 92 octane E0 "pure" gas.... 92
Look for 92 octane pure gas.
I understand that 92 octane means the same regardless if it is pure or an ethanol mix. A local Buc-Ee's sells 90 Octane pure gas. The question is, since pure gas burns more efficiently than an ethanol mix, would the 90 octane pure be as effective as a 92 octane ethanol mix gas?
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PRIrish
I understand that 92 octane means the same regardless if it is pure or an ethanol mix. A local Buc-Ee's sells 90 Octane pure gas. The question is, since pure gas burns more efficiently than an ethanol mix, would the 90 octane pure be as effective as a 92 octane ethanol mix gas?
Octane is the measure of a fuel's ability to resist detonation.
So your 90 octane fuel has a higher chance of "pinging" then the 92 octane one.
If your motor needs 92 octane to not ping then your only option here is the 92 octane E10. Or 92 octane "pure" gas. Or 92 octane leaded.
The 90 octane "pure" gas does not fit their recommendation.
Besides, the ZZ4 came out long before E10 gas was common. That 92 octane recommendation came about when _ALL_ gas was "pure" gas.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:06 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Are you running a carb or Fuel injection.
If you are running a carb, do not put ethanol in your car
or your lawn mower, snow blower, weed whacker, etc
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 AM
PRIrish
Instructor

Originally Posted by L-46man
While ethanol has less specific 'power' per gallon it has a much higher octane number than gasoline...something like 128 Octane.
So you could put a tidge more alky in it to raise it to 92.

Otherwise the only fuel that I know of is AVGAS that has no ethanol in it.
I didn't know ethanol had a higher octane rating than pure gasoline, so thanks for the information. I guess this is a counterbalance to ethanol not producing as much energy as gasoline.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 AM
PRIrish
Instructor

Originally Posted by ConnecticutJunkman
Octane is the measure of a fuel's ability to resist detonation.
So your 90 octane fuel has a higher chance of "pinging" then the 92 octane one.
If your motor needs 92 octane to not ping then your only option here is the 92 octane E10. Or 92 octane "pure" gas. Or 92 octane leaded.
The 90 octane "pure" gas does not fit their recommendation.
Besides, the ZZ4 came out long before E10 gas was common. That 92 octane recommendation came about when _ALL_ gas was "pure" gas.
I want to thank you for the information you have provided as it is very helpful. It looks like I will need to stick with the 93 octane E10 as there are no local stations that sell 92 octane pure gasoline.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:31 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

been running E10 for 25 years, in just about everything omit 2 stroke equipment (I get the pre mixed from lowe's, for ease of use) and I have never had one problem ever with it. Probably because manufacturers have been using E10 compatible parts for a couple decades now.
E10 in my Race demon 1000cfm for 10 years, 0 issues
E10 in my troybilt lawn more since 2002, 0 issues

The ONLY time you could have a problem is if you are running a never restored classic which still has original fuel system parts in it, otherwise, most if not all mnfg of fuel components have switched to E10 compatible stuff years ago.
Now the QUALITY of the gas you put it varies from station to station and I have had more problems with that than it being E10 (quality meaning sediments, freshness of gas etc)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

the problrm with ethanol in 2-stroke stuff is the chinese deliberately use rubber that ethanol destroys. they put lead paint in kid's toys fer crissakes. i bet no lead paint in toys that don't get sent here.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Edward Ackley
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default ethanol

the question was should he use ethanol or not and where to get it? in my opinion a lot of us do not use are vettes as daily drivers, that being said, if ethanl sets in your lawn mower, car, boat gas tank and what ever it seperates in 30 days, there fore it can and will damage your engine, I,am a strong believer that ethanol should be baned, had a friend who owned a marina in wisconsin who told me since ethanol got put into gas his repair business increased over 5 times. ethanol has been proven to reck havock on rubber hoses ect.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:02 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward Ackley
the question was should he use ethanol or not and where to get it? in my opinion a lot of us do not use are vettes as daily drivers, that being said, if ethanl sets in your lawn mower, car, boat gas tank and what ever it seperates in 30 days, there fore it can and will damage your engine, I,am a strong believer that ethanol should be baned, had a friend who owned a marina in wisconsin who told me since ethanol got put into gas his repair business increased over 5 times. ethanol has been proven to reck havock on rubber hoses ect.
I simply have never experienced this 30 day thing you're talking about...idk if it is because I take care of things better than others or if because when I know a car will sit (or my boat) I use treatment, but, I can tell you I've run gas older than 30 days and it has never damaged anything let alone "damaged an engine"

one car of mine typically takes much longer than 30 days to go thru a tank (or simply getting low enough to go add some) is my c6ZR1. It has 0 issues with 45 day gas, or even 60 day gas. Again, I don't wale on it with old gas, and I have a dashlogic so I can monitor things. Drives perfectly fine "normal driving"

2018 boat sat all winter with 1/2 tank of E10 (and some fuel treatment), started this season with 0 issues and ran fine (granted I put fresh 93 in it for safe measure)

2002 boat with a merc V6 injected, owned it for 7 years, same thing E10, treatment, year after year never had an issue

In the past, I've had my stroker BBC camaro sat for 60+ days with the same gas, no issues. That one was pickier than other, and any gas (even none E10) that sat in the tank for a little while (as in even 30 days) it made it run just ok..

Never had any lines, any seals degrade out of thin air because of E10....I've had old old line going bad simply because of age, and they were going to go no matter what.

Only exception I can say are the two stroke lawn equipment. It seems that the fuel lines in those are crap but I have had two break down very early (perhaps from E10). I solved it using fuel line for RC nitro cars....but that was the only thing E10 took out in those...carbs were fine, ran great. On those I use the premade stuff from the store, mostly because it's simpler than having to pre mix and my two stroke stuff each have diff oil ratios anyway.

Please understand I'm not saying you are incorrect on some of those side effects of E10, but as a user of E10, that is not what I have seen.

Also, if we were talking about E85, that would be a different thing...I simply believe from my experience that E10 has not enough E in it to do anything much...and bare in mind the max would be 10%, I can guarantee you it's not...just like E85 is often less than that at the pump.

Last edited by mirage2991; 06-27-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:26 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 06-29-2019, 08:37 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Originally Posted by Edward Ackley

Get notified of new replies

To Ethanol free gas for ZZ4 engines

Quick Reply: Ethanol free gas for ZZ4 engines