Best place to sell a C3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 AM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best place to sell a C3

My C3 is for sell, but since I already listed two Corvettes this year on Corvette Forum For Sale threads, I cannot list my C3 on the Corvette Forum For Sale thread. So, my question is: where is the best place to list my C3? I am extremely paranoid and scared of idiots that just want to go for a joy ride in a neat car without regard for damaging it. I would rather lose a little in price to feel better about letting strangers test drive the car.
I know of Hemmings, autotrader, cars.com, and eBay. Which of these (or some other) would be the best place to list my C3 with the fewest crazies responding?
Old 06-28-2019, 12:41 PM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
My C3 is for sell, but since I already listed two Corvettes this year on Corvette Forum For Sale threads, I cannot list my C3 on the Corvette Forum For Sale thread. So, my question is: where is the best place to list my C3? I am extremely paranoid and scared of idiots that just want to go for a joy ride in a neat car without regard for damaging it. I would rather lose a little in price to feel better about letting strangers test drive the car.
I know of Hemmings, autotrader, cars.com, and eBay. Which of these (or some other) would be the best place to list my C3 with the fewest crazies responding?
Try your local Facebook marketplace. It has replaced craigslist for the most part. Good luck selling!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:37 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

a really good interview between buyer and seller usually solves anguish regarding the test drive. make sure you know their requirements, where their money is coming from, have them describe their wants, etc.. and agree on a ballpark price before the visit.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

[QUOTE=gr8corvette;1599661048] I am extremely paranoid and scared of idiots that just want to go for a joy ride in a neat car without regard for damaging it. I would rather lose a little in price to feel better about letting strangers test drive the car.

If ever the time comes to sell, there is no way I would let a stranger take the car for a ride. I would need something of equal value to hold for collateral, and would be in the passenger seat.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:43 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 840 Posts

Local FB marketplace is effective but like CL, you get a lot of tire kickers.

I suggest, get it super clean, take awesome pics, nice write-up, and post on Ebay as a classified ad or 'buy it now' with your 'dream price'. it is a good platform to advertise and get interest. Also list or link to that ad from CL & FB. Consider a Youtube walk-around if you're ambitious.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:09 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

One of the guys in the office just mentioned Hemmings as the best place to sell a car. Comments???
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you a member of NCRS? They have a monthly ( actually I think it's 10 issues per year ) publication , the Driveline, that is full of cars & parts for sale. Only NCRS members get this publication so it eliminates most of the tire kickers and dreamers as they are serious Corvette people. Good way to advertise a solid quality Vette. Free 50 word ad for NCRS members. Sold my '66 this way and could not of been a easier transaction. Gotta plan ahead as the deadline is about 45 days ahead of when they get mailed out.

How quickly do you want it gone? Try attending local car shows, cars & coffee events... with a sign in the window.
I did sell a C5 last year on Craig's List - had to weed through some of the weirdos and spammers but got lucky & sold within a week. The test drive is the most difficult thing. I made a specific point in my ad that I go with you on the test drive.

Last edited by 1Sweet66; 06-28-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:12 PM
1Sweet66
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
One of the guys in the office just mentioned Hemmings as the best place to sell a car. Comments???

Looked into Hemmings too. I think they were around $75 ( if not a member )for a listing ad?? Lots of good cars sold through that publication and again serious car people. The common person would not look through the book or go on line - way too many cars to search through.

Edit - NCRS will cost you around $40/yr if I remember correctly

Last edited by 1Sweet66; 06-28-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:19 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Sell it on ebay

eBay for me
+ No reserve, starting price very lowest you would take
+National audience
+Lots of photos honest objective description
+10 day auction
+No overseas sales and no bidders with less than ten positive feedback
+Contact phone of seller to answer questions and establish a rapport

Hope this helps have bought and sold a number of Corvettes like this

Last edited by 20mercury; 06-28-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:23 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I’ve never understood the paranoia of test drives. I’ve had 17 Corvettes since the 70s and haven’t sold one without allowing a test drive. Conversely, if a seller suggested he wouldn’t let me test drive a car I’d just walk away. Youre selling a car.

Ebay is a good start. Craigslist is a little creepy. Haven’t tried fb marketplace but it’s getting popular.
The following users liked this post:
Bagpype (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:24 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

I think it depends a lot lot on the car. A high quality, high value car probably is better off in Hemings, NCRS or maybe even one of the auctions. A project car is best sold on Craigslist or FB but will certainly bring out the crazies. eBay is a nice compromise but takes patience. Just because it sells doesn’t mean the deal will close.

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
I’ve never understood the paranoia of test drives. I’ve had 17 Corvettes since the 70s and haven’t sold one without allowing a test drive. Conversely, if a seller suggested he wouldn’t let me test drive a car I’d just walk away. Youre selling a car.

Ebay is a good start. Craigslist is a little creepy. Haven’t tried fb marketplace but it’s getting popular.
I once drove a couple of hours to look at a car I was really interested in. After spending another hour in the heat inspecting it, I wanted to go for a test drive. The seller told me no, he didn’t allow them. I was hot and tired so I asked “why, what are you hiding?” Thought he was going to punch me. I literally walked away and thanked him for wasting my time.
vettebuyer6369 (06-30-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:00 AM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
I think it depends a lot lot on the car. A high quality, high value car probably is better off in Hemings, NCRS or maybe even one of the auctions. A project car is best sold on Craigslist or FB but will certainly bring out the crazies. eBay is a nice compromise but takes patience. Just because it sells doesn’t mean the deal will close.

I once drove a couple of hours to look at a car I was really interested in. After spending another hour in the heat inspecting it, I wanted to go for a test drive. The seller told me no, he didn’t allow them. I was hot and tired so I asked “why, what are you hiding?” Thought he was going to punch me. I literally walked away and thanked him for wasting my time.
I don't mind a serious buyer wanting to test drive the car. It is the crazies that just want to see the limits of a Corvette that scare me!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:11 PM
l82vett
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I was talking to a guy a couple of days ago, he wanted to sell his car, People have came and looked at it , had the money he wanted for it but he said he didn't feel right about the sale as he thought they might not take care if it like he did. He also told me he would sell it for less if he felt good about the buyer. WTF . Dam, its just a car. As I was leaving he told his wife , i just got to let things go. Some people have the same feelings about a test drive. I have sold cars but went along on the test drive with no problems. I have see on a TV show where the owner of the car drove the test drive , put the car through some lets say spirited driving and said to the potential owner , you can drive it when the cash is in my hand.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:13 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

I’ve had some success with Autotrader Classics. $99 for a 6-mo listing. Great luck with CL but as we all say you need to weed out tire kickers. Still, that’s where many people look.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:53 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Why be afraid of someones test drive ?

Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 AM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by l82vett
I was talking to a guy a couple of days ago, he wanted to sell his car, People have came and looked at it , had the money he wanted for it but he said he didn't feel right about the sale as he thought they might not take care if it like he did. He also told me he would sell it for less if he felt good about the buyer. WTF . Dam, its just a car. As I was leaving he told his wife , i just got to let things go. Some people have the same feelings about a test drive. I have sold cars but went along on the test drive with no problems. I have see on a TV show where the owner of the car drove the test drive , put the car through some lets say spirited driving and said to the potential owner , you can drive it when the cash is in my hand.
I don't care if they abuse the car after they buy it. It is just a car as you say. What I care about is if they break it before they buy it and then just walk away.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

I drove the buyer on a test drive once when I was trying to sell my Taurus SHO. I would have let them drive the car after me, but they just said "no thanks" and left. Maybe I drove it too hard for their liking?

Passenger seat for me while they drive is the best way IMO.
cor66vette (07-02-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to sell a C3

Old 07-02-2019, 12:49 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I'm surprised no one suggested Bring A Trailer

I believe they charge $99 one-time fee for a 7-day auction, and no extra fees for the seller.
There is constant commentary amongst the BaT "community", where the seller has the opportunity to address questions asked.
You can post as many photos as you like, and they write up an ad based on the info you provide to them.

GLWS
Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Craigslist has always worked for me. Price it fairly and it will sell. Take good photos for your ad and be honest in your description. As far as test drives go, I start out driving the car especially if the buyer isn't familiar with roads in my area. As you drive you can get a feel as to their interest level. After driving it myself I then allow a serious buyer to take over. I would not buy a car I hadn't driven and wouldn't expect anyone else to either.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id guess the age of the guy buying an expensive vette isnt a first timer who wants to show you his powershifting prowess

You have to screen people which means, phone, not email or text. Make it real clear if the test drive part comes up its driving...not testing.
They can do that once the $ is handed over if they are serious they will understand. If you get a couple 25 yr olds showing up taping it all with their cells for YT you know its BS

I had some idiot try and jump my truck off a curb "Its only a truck besides I want to see what an lx feels like". Closest Ive coming to smacking someone.

Talk to people you can tell a lot by a voice....and never discuss money til they have seen the car.
That phone chiseling tells me they are full of it or lowballing 10 guys at a time hoping to land a qiuck flip.

Quick Reply: Best place to sell a C3