Sponsored by:

81 A/C won't blow out top vents - stuck diverter

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 PM
rodb
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 81 A/C won't blow out top vents - stuck diverter

Need ideas for an issue with air con and vent setting only blowing out lower heater ducts. Believe I have proper vacuum going to the actuator on the orange stripe line for the diverter door but the door is stuck. This has happened once before to this car and was freed up by someone else when the AC was converted to R134A. The car then sat again for a long period and guess what. The door is once again not working. What is the best way to get at the divertor door to try and free it up? I’ve tried feeling around the actuator under the driver side dash with no luck. Is it possible to remove the glove box or center console gauge cluster to gain access? Perhaps insert something in the upper vent. I have the Shifter Console Trim Plate removed.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

That door has an actuating 'crank' sticking out of the plenum and a vacuum actuator attached to it. With it set in the position to "DEFROST", pull the hose off that actuator and see if it really has vacuum at the actuator. If not, it could be a heater control distribution problem. If it has vacuum, unclip the actuator link from the crank; then put hose back on to see if the actuator works. If not, replace it. If it does work, try to "exercise" the damper crank to get it moving freely. Use rust penetrant at the base of the crank in attempt to free it. If you get it moving, shoot some white lithium grease into that joint. Then reassemble and see if it works properly.
The following users liked this post:
rodb (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 AM
amvenne
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem with my '77. Could it be the same issue? I'm not smart enough to know if the '81 and '77 have the same concept for diverters...
Old 07-07-2019, 02:27 PM
rodb
8th Gear

Finally got the diverter working without having to pull the dash pad and center gauge cluster. What a relief! After feeling my way around under the dash trying to move anything that felt like it was related to the divertor I decided drive around for a while. I had temperature set to cold, fan on high while switching between vent, heater and defrost every few seconds. Out of the blue the unit started working. The door must have been stuck and after some nudging from the vacuum it broke loose. This took about 10 minutes. Any suggestions on possible ways to lubricate the door now that it is working again?
Old 07-07-2019, 10:47 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,552 Posts

If like my 79..i vote on leaking duct controller

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-switch.html
The following users liked this post:
rodb (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 09:26 AM
rodb
8th Gear

Excellent suggestion. Would not have considered this w/o your post. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 A/C won't blow out top vents - stuck diverter

Quick Reply: 81 A/C won't blow out top vents - stuck diverter