C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Sportwagons handleing / market value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 04:19 AM
Merlinwag
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C3 Sportwagons handleing / market value?

I can remember a late 70's rubber bumper sportwagon running around my hometown in the 80's. Most of my friends thought it was hideous, I thought it was unique. I know it's sacrilegious to cut up an original vette these days, and would never do that to one. But, if it's already been converted, do you restore it to its converted sportwagon glory? Is it even possible to recreate an original Brady due to extensive modifications? I would love to hear more info from anyone that has one, or has seen one converted in person. How much of the structural integrity is removed? Are the handelimg characteristics drastically changed?

This one is for sale right now. 68 427 4-speed. Not too much info. The price was dropped from $15k to $10k. Is this a realistic number? What do you look for when inspecting something like, this? I have a 73 454 convertible that I am trying to bring back as close to original as possible, so this one I could have a little more fun playing with (I have a GM performance crate LS-7 BBC that could make one mean sportwagon... maybe even a sportwagon gasser...), lol.

Any thoughts, suggestions, experience greatly appreciated.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:42 AM
Dazaa Rafae Aman
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts

I don’t have enough words to describe how awful that thing looks.

It’s like someone decided to stick the boxy back end of a Reliant Scimitar on a car that was all about curves.

Last edited by Dazaa Rafae Aman; 01-17-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:20 AM
rikzvette
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

For 10k that is a deal if it runs and is not rusty. I like it.
The following 2 users liked this post by rikzvette:
'75 (01-17-2021), Merlinwag (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:31 AM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts

awesome find but you really don't want it trust me you will pay way too much for it and it will not be worth your time or any money that you put into it
Do yourself the favor and tell me where it is so I can save you from it. LOL

All kidding aside that was killer back in the day. If it is a true big block numbers car you could always back half it with an original clip but I see a lot of work here.
The following users liked this post:
Merlinwag (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 10:51 AM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 583 Likes on 384 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you like it, and can justify the cost ... who cares! Look, I'm a fan of the 70's retro cool Kraze, and there are those that stock is the only way too go. Keep your eye's on the costs and build the car you want, there are those that think there was no C3 built after 72, that your 73 is a waste of money ... but here you are preserving history, but it doesn't matter its a 73 some would say.

Anyway, the wagon aspect of the car is a kit add on, the bones of the car are still a c3 corvette, all the warning signs will be there, follow what you know about the cars and if it checks out and you can justify it, buy it and join that 70's show!!

Good Luck,

Dave
The following 3 users liked this post by The Phantom:
jkippin (01-17-2021), Merlinwag (01-17-2021), platinummaker (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:53 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dig it, an SUV Nobody else has..BB and a 4 spd. Id consider it for 10 or close, where in Ca is this?
Do the interior up throw a rediculous sound system in it etc
The following users liked this post:
Merlinwag (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 12:22 PM
Sir Keith
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 124 Posts

You couldn't pay me enough to put that monstrosity in my garage...
Old 01-17-2021, 12:45 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

looking at it closer it looks like it may have convertible windows in it and the roof looks like it also Does anyone else see that?
To each their own its funny guys with customs never seem to kick the original types but......kind of reminds me of tattoos..... the only guys that have problems with them are the guys without.
The following 2 users liked this post by jkippin:
Merlinwag (01-17-2021), oldgto (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:18 PM
Merlinwag
Cruising

Originally Posted by jkippin
looking at it closer it looks like it may have convertible windows in it and the roof looks like it also Does anyone else see that?
To each their own its funny guys with customs never seem to kick the original types but......kind of reminds me of tattoos..... the only guys that have problems with them are the guys without.
well said. The “harm” has already been done. purists will always be just that, and that’s ok, preserving the “originality” in an unmolested car is always the best avenue to me as well. That being said, the harm already being done, I don’t feel it deserves to go to crusher as some purist would have it. Take wild game for example, you can have a perfect 5 x 5 buck, and some crazy non-typical sitting right next to it.. which one gets more attention, lol. (That’s probably going to spark a fire, oops). Another thread was saying that these usually were wrecked when they converted them. I guess the dirt one done was for a rock band drummer that wanted to carry his drum kit in his vette to his gigs. Didn’t look like his was wrecked when they converted it.

anyways, yeah, I’m into drag boats as well, pretty crazy what kind of engines you can find. So, as pretty much a big block collector, I feel a big block 427 and 4 speed is worth 4-5k even more depending condition all day long, regardless of the numbers. The fact you get a whole car with it it for another few grand, might as well, lol. as always, trying to get the misses on board is becoming an issue for my addiction, lol.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Merlinwag
Cruising

awesome find but you really don't want it trust me you will pay way too much for it and it will not be worth your time or any money that you put into it
Do yourself the favor and tell me where it is so I can save you from it. LOL

All kidding aside that was killer back in the day. If it is a true big block numbers car you could always back half it with an original clip but I see a lot of work here.

it’s on Facebook market place. I have the link, pm me if you like. I don’t think I’m going to get the wife on board. And the one friend that would usually go in halves is super skeptical. I think it would be crazy cool with a rack and some surfboards on top, with a crazy stereo and original interior kit. But that’s just me, there’s a butt for every seat. Lol.
Thanks for your positive input.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:32 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ill take a look but my finances are getting low lately.....Seems im spending too much on engines lately.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:17 PM
Merlinwag
Cruising

Ill take a look but my finances are getting low lately.....Seems im spending too much on engines lately.
schweeeew, neither of us need to worry about it now. Marked as sold, lol.

i still personally like them. And price wise, I think it was worth it to the right person. There was a red one on FB market place with a 327 in it. But it was way more rough than the blue one (appearance wise). anyways, fun to talk about them. I’d still like to check one out in person to see how it was all put together.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

"Oh! The humanity!..."

Must have been a surfer 'thing'. First out to the waves...eh, dude?
Old 01-18-2021, 06:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

WishI had the dough to pick it up and finish it, that could make one unique st machine.
Imagine loading groceries in that! always loved oddball cars.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:08 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 450 Likes on 307 Posts

I would have the zip saw out before the ink was dry on the title.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:44 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I hate to admit it, but I like it. I've seen a number of them over the years, and most of them are complete abortions, but that one works. I wouldn't be ashamed to own it, but I would definitely clean it up a bit.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:05 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,460 Likes on 1,577 Posts

My car came with some very 70's seat covers. Well done, in original pattern, but in Black Crushed Velour.
That would look perfect in that Vette-wagon!
Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 AM
KaelFarmer
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I would have definitely considered that blue sport wagon. I agree, it looks like it may have been a convertible previously as I don't remember ever seeing one that didn't have t-tops.

The only thing I would have wanted to change would have been the side pipes. The side view of the car seems to flow nicely except for the side pipes. They look more like side steps or running boards from a truck.

Kael

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Sportwagons handleing / market value?

Quick Reply: C3 Sportwagons handleing / market value?