Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger floor wet

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 03:48 PM
dsmithh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the good advice. I did see a small pool of green fluid on the floor this morning. I like the tips of bypassing the heater core since I dont need heat in the summer. Can then fix in the winter.
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:01 PM
dsmithh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mention putting car on ramps. These hoses accessible from under side?
Old 05-08-2024, 08:54 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Yes, on mine anyway, the core / hose connection is way down at the bottom of the firewall.

If you do this repair quickly enough, minimal coolant will escape. Save you from draining / refilling, maybe.

With the front on ramps, locate where the hoses join the heater core. Loosen hose clamps and slide them back a ways.
Tip: Use a socket driver on the clamps for speed and torque.

Grap either hose and see if its willing to depart by twisting back and forth. If they are ready to come off, have your splice adaptor handy and a drip pan underneath.
Work quickly to join both hoses.

If nether hose is budging, you will have to drain the system and slit the hose for removal.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 05-08-2024 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:58 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,401 Posts

All 81s had AC, so your best bet is likely from below to get to that end of the hoses. The rest you can do from up top.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2024, 10:05 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

If you are going to use a bypass adapter, there is no need to disconnect the hoses at the heater core. I believe on your 81 there is a metal pipe that carries the coolant from the water pump under the ac compressor. I would cut that hose long enough so it goes over the valve cover. Cut the other hose that comes from the intake manifold so it meets the other hose. Insert the bypass adapter secured with two clamps, and top off the coolant. You can cut off the other hoses to neaten up the engine compartment. One hose goes to the shut off valve and the other to the heater core. You can raise the car up and cut the hose that comes from the heater core or leave the cut end if you don’t want to raise the car. When you replace the heater core you would most likely replace the heater hoses anyway.

Last edited by mark79,80; 05-08-2024 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:15 PM
vtech
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I have learned so much from this forum. Sorry to hear about your Heater Core leak, with any 30+ year old cars, it is not a question if your heater core will leak but when. I am so glad I installed "Shut Off Valves" on both of my heater core lines when I replaced my water pump last month. The real advantage is how much cooler the temperature inside of the car is - I also added a heat resistant barrier pad under my new carpets. Lastly, my AC system runs so much more efficient than before, once I installed the shut off valves. I live in Palm Desert CA and would rarely need heat though will practice turning on valves every three months to flush heater core as suggested.
The following users liked this post:
interpon (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 08:20 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 780 Likes on 545 Posts

Just vacuum up and save as much as you can and try a coolant tester. My be it is your heater core. Been there, done that and now my heater core is bypassed. My engine and transmission heat me up enough......
Old 05-10-2024, 09:54 PM
socal_tom
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I just had the wet floorboard due to the heater core, I just looped it to by pass it for now. I did like the plug in the water pump and the barb in the intake looked good
Old 05-11-2024, 08:01 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 431 Likes on 309 Posts

Been there done that on my 79. Yes, that's a good winter project, because the whole dashboard has to come out to replace it. Then you run into the "while I'm here's". When you go to do it, make sure to get a seal kit for the entire system from one of the vendors (I got mine from Zip) and pay attention to anything else that needs addressing while you've got the dash out. Not a hard job, just a lot of steps, and takes some time.

Quick Reply: Passenger floor wet