Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this 1968 Convertible 427 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 05:06 PM
Noy2014
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's this 1968 Convertible 427 worth?

Hey Vette Fam, I need your opinion.

She doesn't look like THAT anymore. 1968 Vette, all matching numbers, automatic, stereo radio, power windows, hard and soft top, original Corvette bronze color.

She will need an off-frame restoration for sure! Just been sitting for 6-7 years, and currently NOT running. Carb needs to be changed or rebuilt, but otherwise engine should be fine.

PREVIOUS: For reference, here are the photos of what she USED to look like when I got her.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...TX?usp=sharing

CURRENT: Here is the current condition.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._u?usp=sharing

I'm estimating a $15K off frame restore. Thoughts?

And what is she worth as-is?

Old 05-10-2024, 05:29 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Probably not enough. To be honest.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:29 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,399 Posts

If that's a real VB&P spring, it might be worth $200-.

The next owner will need to replace the frame and rebuild/replace every part on the chassis. $15K might only cover that. Was it sitting outside, over dirt, in Florida perhaps? What does the birdcage look like?
Old 05-10-2024, 10:11 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,256 Likes on 784 Posts

Are you going to do most of the work? If not, your estimate of $15K is woefully short. Paint alone will likely approach that figure.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:24 PM
Noy2014
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69L88
Are you going to do most of the work? If not, your estimate of $15K is woefully short. Paint alone will likely approach that figure.
Originally Posted by Bikespace
If that's a real VB&P spring, it might be worth $200-.

The next owner will need to replace the frame and rebuild/replace every part on the chassis. $15K might only cover that. Was it sitting outside, over dirt, in Florida perhaps? What does the birdcage look like?
It was sitting over pavers in Fort Lauderdale. What's the birdcage?

I saw you can get a used/refurbished chassis for $3500. Figured the labor to transfer the car is about the same. So I estimated about $7K
Old 05-10-2024, 10:25 PM
Noy2014
Advanced

I mean it's not like it can't get painted for $5K, and look just fine. Heck even a Maco job starts at $799. lol
Old 05-10-2024, 10:41 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,235 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Are your goals to maximize a sale price, or to restore the car?

Before you dive in, the birdcage is the metal structure that holds the fiberglass, separate from the chassis/frame.

Here's a recent related thread that includes a clear picture of the birdcage itself (on page 2). The best place to look is behind your kickpanels, and behind the VIN tag.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-from-c3.html
Old 05-10-2024, 11:20 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

The vast majority of folks who frequent this forum are aficionados of these cars and a lot of us have over 50 years of experience with them. Some are die-hard supporters of originality, some want to build their own version of their dream car with various customizations, some want to restomod them, some want to race them. But there is one common attribute among all of us and that is to be proud of the car(s) we own. We don’t do anything half-assed. We share our experiences, ideas, tips, and try to be as helpful as we can to those whose are new to the forum. We all hate to see someone getting burned.

Yes, you can go the Maaco/Earl Scheib route on paint. Yes, you can roll the dice on a who knows what shape replacement chassis. Yes, you can cross your fingers that the engine “should be fine”. You can be clueless about what a birdcage is and find out later that Corvettes do indeed rust and realize you have a rusted ‘cage that will essentially turn your buy into a parts car. And a few hundred other important items.

Phineas Taylor Barnum coined the phrase “a sucker is born every minute”. It’s your money and your choice. You can try to do things on the cheap but at the end of the day, you’ll have a perfumed pig that only another uninformed buyer will, unfortunately, be disillusioned with. Or, you can educate yourself and set a realistic estimate of what it will take to put a car together that you can be proud of and at least have a chance to get you money back when you eventually sell. That education will also allow you to properly assess the condition of the car you’re looking at and make an informed decision as to buy or walk away.

We’re happy to help but you need to open your eyes (and mind) on what you might be getting into to avoid that disillusionment.

Last edited by 69L88; 05-11-2024 at 07:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
60 SHARK (05-11-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 11:51 PM
Noy2014
Advanced

The vast majority of folks who frequent this forum are aficionados of these cars and a lot of us have over 50 years of experience with them. Some are die-hard supporters of originality, some want to build their own version of their dream car with various customizations, some want to restomod them, some want to race them. But there is one common attribute among all of us and that is to be proud of the car(s) we own. We don’t do anything half-assed. We share our experiences, ideas, tips, and try to be as helpful as we can to those whose are new to the forum. We all hate to see someone getting burned.

Yes, you can go the Marco/Earl Scheib route on paint. Yes, you can roll the dice on a who knows what shape replacement chassis. Yes, you can cross your fingers that the engine “should be fine”. You can be clueless about what a birdcage is and find out later that Corvettes do indeed rust and realize you have a rusted ‘cage that will essentially turn your buy into a parts car. And a few hundred other important items.

Phineas Taylor Barnum coined the phrase “a sucker is born every minute”. It’s your money and your choice. You can try to do things on the cheap but at the end of the day, you’ll have a perfumed pig that only another uninformed buyer will, unfortunately, be disillusioned with. Or, you can educate yourself and set a realistic estimate of what it will take to put a car together that you can be proud of and at least have a chance to get you money back when you eventually sell. That education will also allow you to properly assess the condition of the car you’re looking at and make an informed decision as to buy or walk away.

We’re happy to help but you need to open your eyes (and mind) on what you might be getting into to avoid that disillusionment.
That was very well said, and puts things into perspective. Thank you for taking the time to express that. I agree with it all, but I am the seller.

So if someone is offering me $13K for it as-is, and I hear you correctly, ...take it and run?

Old 05-11-2024, 01:49 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,798 Likes on 2,889 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Kiss him on both cheeks and RUN to the bank.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 07:56 AM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
kiss him on both cheeks and run to the bank.
lmao!!!!
Old 05-11-2024, 11:26 AM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 834 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Noy2014
I mean it's not like it can't get painted for $5K, and look just fine. Heck even a Maco job starts at $799. lol
. OK,,,,,,, With that being said,,, you MIGHT,,might, might pull it off for $15k. But most likely not going to happen. In my mind, that expression on paint set your standards for the work thats acceptable for you...
. Today's priceing on the needed parts is mor than your imagining.
. Is certainly will be a big project. Not an investment 👈
Old 05-11-2024, 11:30 AM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Perhaps the frame was already seriously compromised when the OP bought it, but cosmetically, that poor car has aged 30 years in just 6 or 7! What a shame.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:48 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 481 Likes on 285 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Noy2014

$5k, I can have it painted with a bunch of cans of rustolium spray paint, for under $100 bux. B U T, If you want to paint a "CORVETTE" depending on where you live & what color, your going spend close to $5,000 just in materials !!! A Good show quality, hand sanded all the way down removing EVERYTHING previously applied, ( not scuffed n painted ) ( everything removed not taped over with over spray ) will cost you $20 - $25K

Get notified of new replies

To What's this 1968 Convertible 427 worth?

Quick Reply: What's this 1968 Convertible 427 worth?