Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 Telescoping/tilting steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 10:51 PM
'73BlueRagtop
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 Telescoping/tilting steering wheel

Steering wheel tilts and telescopes a little too freely. Anybody have ideas on how I can "tighten" things up a little bit?
Old 10-15-2001, 06:33 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: 1973 Telescoping/tilting steering wheel ('73BlueRagtop)

excessive play in the tilt mode is usually loose 4 bolts under the turn signal switch, hard to see, way down in there, that star=wheel plate is a bitch to remove/reinstall....need a special tool, I use a piece of 2 inch pipe cut into a C shape, and use the original steering wheel bolt on the tele shaft, after clamped tight with star bolt originally going to the tele ring....
that play in the tele part is to tighten the wheel one more notch on the ring, with positioning screws...
this tilt/tele wheel assy is the most difficult part/assy on the entire car to work on, you gotta have lotsa patience and ingenuity .......

GENE
Old 10-15-2001, 10:06 AM
Maco Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 1973 Telescoping/tilting steering wheel ('73BlueRagtop)

I agree, its the bolts alright. If you're lucky, and I mean lucky, you will be able to tighten 1 or 2 of the bolts without getting into the column. I did this on my 73. It just depends on how the column is assembled if you can get to the bolts without getting into the rough stuff. Anyway, tightening 2 of the 4 bolts is temporary, but it worked for me. good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Telescoping/tilting steering wheel

Quick Reply: 1973 Telescoping/tilting steering wheel