Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Cylinder heads - replace w/ close to factory

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 1981 Cylinder heads - replace w/ close to factory

Guru's,
Need some parts help.....

** I do not have the budget this year for a new engine, nor a top-end kit. I also have a 2 and a half year old son so I do not want to spend hours over many weekends turning wrenches just yet...waiting for my son to get older to do that

I have several bent valves and a few rocker arms all out of wack....engine is running like crud under load and inst performing well (well in terms of the 190HP she had....LOL)

This being the case, my L81 w/ 86K miles sits as follows:
  • CCC 100% operational - no error codes
  • E4ME Carb - fresh rebuild from National Carbs
  • MSD Coil, Cap, Rotor, MSD 8.5mm Plug Wires
  • Accell Ignition Module (MSD doesnt make a 7-PIN..Accell Does)
  • Corvette Central True Dual Exhaust Kit (* No Cat - straight duals to H-pipe to Magna Flows)
  • Stock L81
  • Compression test completed (155-162psi) accross all 8 cylinders

All I want to do is get thru the rest of this year with a running engine while I work on saving for a new motor

I am looking for help in choosing either a Summit Racing brand or Chevy performance brand cast iron "facotry replacement" head.
And again I fully understand performace, etc, etc but its not in the budget now...just want to keep it driving for the rest of the year.

When I searched Summit for my 1981 350 5.7, for the chevy perf brand I saw a lot of "Vortech" verbiage, etc (One option here). I just want to make sure I choose the correct bolt on heads, that will also fit the patriot headers that i got from the exhaust kit....per the details on the headers fitment:

Fits D-Port cylinder heads including ZZ4 crate engines. Also fits Dart-S HP Heads (** Hint here - I am saving up for a ZZ4 **)
Will NOT fit:
* GM 340292 "turbo" or "bowtie" heads
* Airflow Research (AFR) heads
* Trick Flow (TFS) 195cc with D port heads
* Aluminum heads from Blueprint Engines
* Dart Pro I
* Dart II/Sportsman
Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts