Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F/S 72 corvette small block smog system with exhaust manifolds. NICE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 03:30 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Default F/S 72 corvette small block smog system with exhaust manifolds. $1250, NICE!

This is an original 72 corvette smog system. I am asking $1250 for it. I have had it for a number of years. For a project, I cleaned it up and now I am selling it.

I try to keep stuff as original as possible and just do a real good cleaning and replace only what needs to be replaced. This pump was in remarkable condition to begin with. I did carefully disassemble it. I carefully cleaned internally and externally. It has the original finish on the aluminum and has not been media blasted.

The back cover was repainted. The rear bearing was in excellent condition (they are very heavy duty and survive quite well). It was cleaned and greased. The front bearing was stiff so I replaced it with a correct NOS bearing and injection molded it in place as original. The pump vanes were in great shape. They were removed, cleaned and reinstalled.

Pulley was chemically cleaned and painted as original. Hoses and clamps are original. Clamps are dated 1/72 and 2/72. The system is very complete and is perfect for a 72 corvette corvette owner.

Fan is a nice black square blade style.

Please look at pictures and feel free to ask questions.

The only boo boo is where my finger is pointing in the one picture (exhaust manifold tube has a dent in it), this does not effect function. If someone wants to, they could probably find a replacement. I just wanted to keep it together and original as a unit.

The picture speak for themselves. If somebody buys it and what's it made non-functoinal, I can correctly remove the vanes for them and supply them with the sale.

If I think of more stuff I will post it. If I don't sell it, I will consider parting it out. Thanks for looking.You get all that is pictured. Nice original stuff. Uber rare system.

You get all that is pictured. The exhaust manifolds are in excellent condition. Surface rust only, exhaust studs are excellent and intact. Just surface rust. No pitting.

Semi-front view of pump assembly. Nice original aluminum finish.

Pump is dated 167 day of 1972. This is not a re-stamped Frankenstein-pump.

Exhaust manifold part number.

Part number on the other exhaust manifold.

Date on back-side of exhaust manifold. Note that the injector tubes are nicely intact. They are not rotted but they have normal accumulation of combustion deposits on them.

Date on the back side of the other exhaust manifold.

Last edited by tfringo; 09-05-2016 at 08:22 PM. Reason: new price
Old 08-20-2016, 04:20 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Check valve picture.

Back side of pump and hoses.

Original numbers are still readable on the hoses and they are ribbed. Nice original hoses.

hose to vacuum pod is original 3 rib.

Check valve.

Picture of the dent in the injector tube.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default More pictures

What the insides looked like after cleaning. Those things in the middle are the paddles that need to be removed if you want to make the pump nom-functional. There are also graphite seals that they slide through and there is a spring that keeps the seals up against the paddles. All this needs to be assembled with regards to rotation of the pump. The seals also need to be installed in correct direction.

Rear bearing just before I greased it with high pressure axle grease. I uses a type of lock tight on the rear bearing that is made for bushings. It is also staked in place as originally done at the factory.

NOS front bearing with the groves in the outer race as originally. I am not confident others rebuilder theirs with the original bearings. You can see the paddles sticking out of the pump. They are graphite type paddles. As the cylinder rotates on an eccentric axis, it pumps air. Not sure if I described that right.

4000 PSI expoxy injection. This keeps the bearing from migrating forward in the housing

What it looks like after the glue has set up. If you look closely you can see the casting date on the pump. Everything has to be assembled before injection so that you know you have good rotation and alignment.

A nice pump that is ready to go back on a nice 72 corvette.

Last edited by tfringo; 08-20-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 08-21-2016, 10:57 AM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default 72 smog pump

bump

Originally Posted by tfringo

Check valve picture.

Back side of pump and hoses.

Original numbers are still readable on the hoses and they are ribbed. Nice original hoses.

hose to vacuum pod is original 3 rib.

Check valve.

Picture of the dent in the injector tube.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:22 AM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default Bump

Bump

bump
Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Bump
Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

Very nice Original package and a very fair price when compared to "restored" packages with many reproduction parts.
Bump
Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

I'm not an expert on this stuff so I did know what to ask for it. But a TI distributor can go for $1200 - $1500 correctly dated. It is a lot of stuff and all original. But I bet it takes a while to sell. The small smog hose it seems is very rare. I hope someone wants it. I really really have no need for it. Terr
Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default 72 corvette survivor smog system and manifolds, price reduced NICE!

Price is $1350. Pretty good deal.

This is an original 72 corvette smog system. I am asking $1500 for it. I have had it for a number of years. For a project, I cleaned it up and now I am selling it.

I try to keep stuff as original as possible and just do a real good cleaning and replace only what needs to be replaced. This pump was in remarkable condition to begin with. I did carefully disassemble it. I carefully cleaned internally and externally. It has the original finish on the aluminum and has not been media blasted.

The back cover was repainted. The rear bearing was in excellent condition (they are very heavy duty and survive quite well). It was cleaned and greased. The front bearing was stiff so I replaced it with a correct NOS bearing and injection molded it in place as original. The pump vanes were in great shape. They were removed, cleaned and reinstalled.

Pulley was chemically cleaned and painted as original. Hoses and clamps are original. Clamps are dated 1/72 and 2/72. The system is very complete and is perfect for a 72 corvette corvette owner.

The only boo boo is where my finger is pointing in the one picture (exhaust manifold tube has a dent in it), this does not effect function. If someone wants to, they could probably find a replacement. I just wanted to keep it together and original as a unit.

The picture speak for themselves. If somebody buys it and what's it made non-functoinal, I can correctly remove the vanes for them and supply them with the sale.

If I think of more stuff I will post it. If I don't sell it, I will consider parting it out. Thanks for looking.You get all that is pictured. Nice original stuff. Uber rare system.

You get all that is pictured. The exhaust manifolds are in excellent condition. Surface rust only, exhaust studs are excellent and intact. Just surface rust. No pitting.

Date on back-side of exhaust manifold. Note that the injector tubes are nicely intact. They are not rotted but they have normal accumulation of combustion deposits on them.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:56 AM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default Bump

Bump

This is an original 72 corvette smog system. I am asking $1350 for it. I have had it for a number of years. For a project, I cleaned it up and now I am selling it.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:18 PM
tfringo
Melting Slicks

Default bump

Bump

This is an original 72 corvette smog system. I am asking $1350 for it. I have had it for a number of years. For a project, I cleaned it up and now I am selling it.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

so how many times do we have to see the same pictures????

Get notified of new replies

To F/S 72 corvette small block smog system with exhaust manifolds. NICE!

Quick Reply: F/S 72 corvette small block smog system with exhaust manifolds. NICE!