Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB Alarm horn for 69

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Default WTB Alarm horn for 69

Looking to purchase an alarm horn for my 69. Original has worked until last summer. I will consider a good used or NOS. Thanks!
Jeff
Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Did you try spraying some wd40 in it and letting it sit overnight? I did this with mine and it is still working.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffstuarts
Looking to purchase an alarm horn for my 69. Original has worked until last summer. I will consider a good used or NOS. Thanks!
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Are you sure it's the horn? If it's still on the car,check the relay located under the passenger side storage compartment jack tray. If you hear the relay click when you try to set off the alarm it may be stuck. Tap it lightly with a screw driver handle it may free up. If you've checked that take the horn off and try to loosen the adjusting screw carefully. Sometimes turning it one way or the other will get the horn working again. Check it off the car with a 12 v battery. If the horn clicks but doesn't sound that means the wiring wrap in the horn is ok.
Good luck.
Tooch

Last edited by Tooch1; 01-12-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:54 AM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Hi Jeff,
Are you sure it's the horn? If it's still on the car,check the relay located under the passenger side storage compartment jack tray. If you hear the relay click when you try to set off the alarm it may be stuck. Tap it lightly with a screw driver handle it may free up. If you've checked that take the horn off and try to loosen the adjusting screw carefully. Sometimes turning it one way or the other will get the horn working again. Check it off the car with a 12 v battery. If the horn clicks but doesn't sound that means the wiring wrap in the horn is ok.
Good luck.
Tooch
Thanks for your responses. As far as soaking or spraying in WD40 or anything else, I was warned against this on the other Discussion Board but since it seems like it is toast anyway, maybe I will try soaking in Evaporust and see what it does. I have the horn out of the car and hooking up directly to 12 volts does not sound the horn but it does make a "clicking" sound. The rest of the system is working fine since you can hear the relay click and the flasher operate when the system is activated. A standard car horn operates the system properly.
Jeff
Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffstuarts
Thanks for your responses. As far as soaking or spraying in WD40 or anything else, I was warned against this on the other Discussion Board but since it seems like it is toast anyway, maybe I will try soaking in Evaporust and see what it does. I have the horn out of the car and hooking up directly to 12 volts does not sound the horn but it does make a "clicking" sound. The rest of the system is working fine since you can hear the relay click and the flasher operate when the system is activated. A standard car horn operates the system properly.
Jeff
If you can get the adjusting screw loosened you might be able to get it to work again. Takes patience turning it in different directions and testing it though. I'm not sure I would soak it in anything though They can be taken apart, but it's not easy. You'll need to grind off the rivets with a dremmel to get it apart. Once open there are points inside, they may need cleaned. They gum up just like points on a car. You can clean the contact with Emory cloth. You'll need to replace the gasket and the rivets to get it back together. There are NCRS guys who restore these ( The Horn Works). But I did mine myself just to learn what was inside. There are some sold on eBay from time to time pretty reasonable.
Just make sure the seller says it works.
Take care.
Tooch

Last edited by Tooch1; 01-12-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:24 PM
70s Vette Guy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 1974 alarm horn, don't know if they are the same. It's original, I can pull it off and send pictures, $25, plus shipping from CA.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 PM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1977hotwheels
I have a 1974 alarm horn, don't know if they are the same. It's original, I can pull it off and send pictures, $25, plus shipping from CA.
PM sent. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To WTB Alarm horn for 69

Quick Reply: WTB Alarm horn for 69