Notices
C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted C3 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: I may need a original 862 GM horn relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:43 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Default I may need a original 862 GM horn relay

Thanks,
I was troubleshooting my horns as I am getting around to putting them back on the car and they do work when putting 12v to the green wire, but when I press the horn button I only get slight clicking in the horn relay. The horn contact button is good as I tried jumpering it also. I do not get 12v at the green wire when I press the horn button also I hear the clicking.
I have not had time to open the relay as of yet to check the contacts.

So, anyway, I thought I would do some early checking for availability of a good working original horn relay.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhudec
Thanks,
I was troubleshooting my horns as I am getting around to putting them back on the car and they do work when putting 12v to the green wire, but when I press the horn button I only get slight clicking in the horn relay. The horn contact button is good as I tried jumpering it also. I do not get 12v at the green wire when I press the horn button also I hear the clicking.
I have not had time to open the relay as of yet to check the contacts.

So, anyway, I thought I would do some early checking for availability of a good working original horn relay.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe, if I remember correctly the relay your referring to is on the left inner fender well and is also the key buzzer, at least it is on my '69. There is a mechanical points contactor in there and the lid can be removed from the relay by bending the small tabs on the cover back. I had to do that to my original and got everything working.

Dan
Old 09-15-2017, 10:33 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Dan,
Thanks. That is exactly where it is. Again I can hear it clicking, so at some point I will
find some time to remove it and the cover and see if I can get it working. I think it is the
original.
Joe

Last edited by jhudec; 09-15-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:09 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Just an update. I removed the cover today and there was some rust inside. A small piece of rust was on the coil magnet so when energized it would not close the contacts.
Cleaned out that bit of rust, treated the other rust and I have a working horn again.
A good day, I do say.
Joe

Get notified of new replies

To I may need a original 862 GM horn relay

Quick Reply: WTB: I may need a original 862 GM horn relay