C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 10:23 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update on Shifting Problem

I recently posted a problem concerning my '69 427/435. The car was difficult to get into Reverse. It shifted into the four forward gears of the Muncie M-21 manual transmission but Reverse was hit and miss. It felt like the shifter was hitting something as you tried to move the lever to the left. It eventually would go, but it wasn't right. We got several responses and ideas on what to do and they were all helpful. I printed them out and took the car, along with the suggestions on what the problem might be, to my mechanic. As it turns out, the car needed new transmission and motor mounts. They were original and completely shot. Corvettes are unlike most cars in that the engine/transmission/linkage is not a self contained unit. If the engine or transmission mounts move, it will throw the geometry off and the linkage will appear to be out of adjustment. Once the new motor and transmission mounts were installed, the mechanic was then able to readjust the linkage with the tool GM recommends and now the car is absolutely fantatic. It hasn't felt this solid in years. If any of you C-3 owners are experiencing a similar problem, you might want to check your mounts. I decided to go with the stock factory mounts and not the neoprene. The neoprene are "better" but you will get more vibration and since the stock mounts lasted several decades, I thought this was the best way to go. The theory about changing the forkball and the clutch rod and various other parts may have worked but the mounts needed to be replaced no matter what. I would have to say this is the place to start if you have a shifting problem. The car does have a CenterForce clutch and it also has the stock forkball and other related parts. The mounts were definitely the culprit in this case. Again, thanks to all who responded.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:03 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What model of Centerforce do you have? Need a new clutch setup and am looking at a Centerforce II for my 383. How do you like the Centerforce? Stock pedal feel, as advertised?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:07 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by glen242
What model of Centerforce do you have? Need a new clutch setup and am looking at a Centerforce II for my 383. How do you like the Centerforce? Stock pedal feel, as advertised?
I have the centerforce 2 on my 383/ 4speed----yes stock pedal feel and great hook up...good info fontking
Old 02-13-2005, 10:25 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

I have the CF Dual Friction on my 427/435. I do like it, especially now that all the geometry is back to normal. The car feels so much different with new motor mounts. It shifts like a dream and getting into any gear is like warm butter.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:53 AM
meangreenie
Racer

Thanks for this posting. I've only had my '73 since september last year. And it's been put away for the winter since about november. Have a similar problem, getting into 1st & 2nd gears. It will go into these gears, but I need to play with the shifter until it feels like it wants to go in, and I don't want to force anything. It also supposedly has a new clutch, and I tend to believe the guy. But I do have clutch chatter engaging 1st gear. My Chilton manual says the chatter could be caused by loose engine mounts.

Your solution of new motor & tranny mounts, might just fix both of my problems? Thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Update on Shifting Problem

Quick Reply: Update on Shifting Problem