C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank sealer on 81?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 01:24 AM
bn7035
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank sealer on 81?

I have a very small leak on the fuel tank. I was thinking of using the POR 15 tank sealer kit. I searched the forum and I found out that the 81 has a bladder in it. Does the sealer work on a tank with a bladder? If not were is the best place to get a new tank? I would rather not spend 200 bucks right now unless I just have to on a new tank.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:41 PM
PureSilver
Racer

is it really a bladder, or a plastic liner? I think my '78 is similar, though I haven't got to the point of pulling the tank apart yet. I have some good size (1/8-inch or so) holes where the bottom of the tank sets on the frame, but the tank only seeped fuel, leading me to believe the liner is nearly gone, but not all the way. My plan is to pull the tank cap assembly and look. If I think the liner can come out, i'll pull it and use the POR-15 after welding a patch (lots of water or nitrogen blanket, I know, the fuel tank is a bomb waiting to go off!!!)

If, on the other hand, you really have a bladder (and believe it to be in good shape, pull it, place the POR-15, and reset the bladder.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:59 PM
KENS80V
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

You have a plastic liner inside the tank. It isn't a bladder. It is rigid plastic that is not collapsible. No one makes a new tank for this 78/82 style. Your best bet is to find a used one.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:05 PM
milocrafts
5th Gear

I just pulled a tank out of a 80 that seems to be good. I have not taken the sending unit out to check the bladder yet. To bad your not closer (I'm in NC) I would sell at a reasonable price. I don't know about shipping rules on gas tanks.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Gas tank sealer on 81?

Quick Reply: Gas tank sealer on 81?