C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me spend $1500 on performance upgrades to 1981 C3

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 AM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me spend $1500 on performance upgrades to 1981 C3

Posted this on the motor board, but no responses. My all stock (almost) 1981 needs some performance tweaking. It's sluggish with a overhauled motor done about 5 yrs. ago. Computer system was disconnect by previoius owner. I want to feel like I'm driving a sports car, not my Mom's sedan.

Don't want to do any obvious exterior mod's...just some hard to see ones with the hood down. Not opposed to changing carb, cam, exhaust (no sidepipes).

Help spend my $1500, and do it wisely!!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:18 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

1) Headers and Straight Pipes.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:25 AM
steves_77vette
Racer

I'm building up a spare 350 that I plan to do the following:

1) Vortec heads - built up with the extra valve push for a hot cam (you can get them new and completely modified from Scoggin Dickey)

2) Edelbrock Performer intake manifold - this is a requirement with the Vortec heads to match the intakes on the heads

3) Straight pipe headers - pick you're type or brand I don't think it matters much once you get the stock manifold off

4) Cam - get a nice hot cam to match your motor and the Vortecs

You should be able to tune your stock Q-jet to get good performance without replacing it. Assuming your motor is in good condition and doesn't need a rebuild you should definitely be able to do the above for under $1500. And when you're done you'll be pushing north of 350 hp and tons of tire shredding torque. I doubt your mom's sedan could do that!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:01 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Wow........350 hp! You can't be serious. For 1500 bucks, that's a done deal. I like your setup suggestions......anymore?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:27 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Headers, exhaust and performance gears (gears give more seat of the pants performance for bang for the buck compared to engine upgrades )

Last edited by SmokedTires; 02-14-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:28 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by MsVetteMan
Posted this on the motor board, but no responses. My all stock (almost) 1981 needs some performance tweaking. It's sluggish with a overhauled motor done about 5 yrs. ago. Computer system was disconnect by previoius owner. I want to feel like I'm driving a sports car, not my Mom's sedan.

Don't want to do any obvious exterior mod's...just some hard to see ones with the hood down. Not opposed to changing carb, cam, exhaust (no sidepipes).

Help spend my $1500, and do it wisely!!

first start with a big new flashy dipstick!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

I didn't think any vette could give ya a feeling like your mom's sedan would.

Anyway, like alot of people said headers, and straight pipes are a good start, however I'd go with heads first.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:36 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Heads are always a very good upgrade when looking for more power, but without upgrading the exhaust, you're liable to chock those performance heads and not be able to cash in on their potential
Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heads and cam. I'm installing a set of Summit heads that have many Vortec-style features, but can use a stock intake manifold, for $650 a pair. Overall this is more cost-effective than a Vortec swap because you don't need a new intake, and the heads don't need to be upgraded like the Vortecs do. These heads will handle quite a bit of cam lift...so that's the next logical thing to do. Once you've selected heads, a cam vendor can help you select the best cam for your needs.

Carb. If you still have the computer-controlled carb and distributor on there, it's a miracle the car even runs. Assuming they've been replaced, it should be a simple matter to tune them to your needs. You can save some $$$ on this one.

Exhaust. You can go with long-tube headers, or keep the factory shorties you already have. But in either case, replace the exhaust system with true duals.

There. I think I've used up your budget!

Last edited by page62; 02-14-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:40 PM
grayhook
Pro

i just installed a holley sys. max 2 kit...425 hp. 435 tq. $1400!

i'm in south jackson if you like to see it and here it.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vortec Heads $550
Matching intake $150 (add more for a GMPP)
Valve Covers $50
Self-aligning rockers ??
Cam Kit $175
Gaskets ??
misc (plugs, oil, anti-freeze,etc..) $50

Still enough money left over to add headers and some exhaust work

Last edited by mandm1200; 02-14-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:12 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by grayhook
i just installed a holley sys. max 2 kit...425 hp. 435 tq. $1400!

i'm in south jackson if you like to see it and here it.
What's included in the kit?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:14 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mandm1200
Vortec Heads $550
Matching intake $150 (add more for a GMPP)
Valve Covers $50
Self-aligning rockers ??
Cam Kit $175
Gaskets ??
misc (plugs, oil, anti-freeze,etc..) $50

Still enough money left over to add headerd and some exhaust work
Good list......

Thanks for the replies guys....keep em coming. Heck, I might even sound like I know what I'm talking about when I go see my mechanic.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM
79Brian
Intermediate

Last edited by 79Brian; 02-14-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:20 PM
79Brian
Intermediate

I say go with the vortec heads and intake. Get a good carb and some headers and you are set. I just finished off a Vortec 350 that dynos just under 450. Now I have new pistons, roller rockers, cam and a few other things to get it to that HP but just the heads and exhaust are the perfect upgrade for the HP to cost ratio.

Last edited by 79Brian; 02-14-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:33 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

exhaust is absolutely critical. the factory cat is the single biggest restriction you have. GET IT OUT OF THERE!!!! just opening the factory exhaust up is worth ~20hp on a stock engine.
headers are good. the factory headers are a disgrace. get a decent set of aftermarkets but be concience of smog laws. i understand it's mississippi and all, but don't get surprised after you spend a few hundred bucks only to find out that next year (or the year after that) you'll have to smog the car.
cam, you said your engine was overhauled five years ago. do you have any idea what cam was installed? most people like to overcam engines. don't go over 270* duration. for a good street car with low end 'umph' something in the 262-268 range is pretty good.
i'm offended about the comments about the original computer. mine still has the computer controls and runs quite well, thank you very much. however, you mention that yours has already been removed. what size carb do you have? please tell me the "mechanic" that overhauled the car knew the distributor had to be replaced too. you didn't give alot of details but if you don't have a vacuum advance distributor, that's part of your problem right there.
what heads does it have? if they're already aftermarket or a different design than stock, you might want to find out what size chamber they have. if it's under a 70cc chamber, you might be better off spending your money on something else. like a gear.
go with electric fans.
and any money you have left over should be spent on brakes or suspension so that it doesn't stop and corner like mom's sedan too.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:55 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Hey Clutch....good post! I am not a mechanically inclined engine person, so I am going to take it to my mechanic to check out before I order, or do anything to it. I just bought this car from a lady who owned it for 22 years. She kept it up rather nice, but just did minimums. Not sure what all the overhaul entailed, as she is still looking for that folder with all of the records in it. (Which I doubt she will find.) I still have her mechanics phone number and between discussions with him, and my mechanic, I think we can figure it out.

In the mean time, it's up on jacks, and the hood is stuck shut, so I really couldn't look at see what actually was there as far as carb and distributor, and probably wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway. You do however have me scratching my head on the distributor though. I have seen numerous people say you don't have to change the original carb out if you unhook the computer, and I think that is the situation.

I have got a little legwork to do........thought I had gone over this pretty well before I bought it, but I guess not.

Whatever the case is, I appreciate y'alls posts, and don't stop now.....keep em coming....

Btw.....this was only a 190 hp motor from the factory (L81).

Get notified of new replies

To Help me spend $1500 on performance upgrades to 1981 C3

Old 02-14-2005, 01:55 PM
grayhook
Pro

look'm up at summit's site.
alum heads, cam, alum intake, dub. roller time gear and chane, lifters, pushrods, i added a 355 short block from local shop and a gasket kit and roller tip rocker. i only got about 10 mi. on it so far. get'n seats redone right now so cant drive it.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Vortec Heads
New Intake
New Carb
New Cam & related timing
New exhaust, true duals, H pipe.

That ought to wake that '81 up.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Nate '69
Pro

Originally Posted by Stoge
Vortec Heads
New Intake
New Carb
New Cam & related timing
New exhaust, true duals, H pipe.

That ought to wake that '81 up.

I recently did the vortec package/cam swap etc etc.

Well worth the money and time!

Quick Reply: Help me spend $1500 on performance upgrades to 1981 C3