C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever set off a bug bomb in your car?

Old 02-20-2005, 07:07 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Ever set off a bug bomb in your car?

I'm heading out to California in a few weeks and I'll be taking my vette out of storage, It's in a shed at my folks house. My parents live in the hills in North Orange County and they get a lot of Black Widows there Last time I took my Vette out (8 months ago); I found one inside the car. If you've never seen a Black Widow up close I can tell you there's no mistaking it. Even if you can't see it's belly, they're very black & shiny.

Anyway, I don't want any surprises while I'm driving. I'm thinking about setting off a bomb inside of it just to be sure. Has anyone done this? I may use one of the smoking type chem reaction bombs to reduce the amount of insecticide deposits. Is this a bad idea?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:15 PM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never done this but i would say to open the doors on the car and hood and the storage compartment in the car also and just set the bomb off in the shed if it isnt to drafty that way you kill anything in the interior and also anything that might be in the engine compartment or crawling around under the car also. you might also want to remove the door panels also sense that has a big area for little things to crawl in. anyways good luck and hopefully you dont have any surprises.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:31 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no need for a bug bomb.

You say the car is stored in a shed? Roll the windows down, start her up, get out, leave the shed, close the shed door. Find something to entertain yourself with for 15 minutes or so.

When you return, anything in the car or shed will have either evacuated or will be dead.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:39 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Yep, I have and it works. I bought a repo from a credit union, and let's just say the previous owners of the vehicle had questionable hygiene habits and there were univited guest running all over the interior.
Bug bomb new carpet and on to the happy new owners
Old 02-20-2005, 07:40 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 45ACP

You say the car is stored in a shed? Roll the windows down, start her up, get out, leave the shed, close the shed door. Find something to entertain yourself with for 15 minutes or so.

When you return, anything in the car or shed will have either evacuated or will be dead.

That should work
Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by 45ACP

indeed...it would work around my shop...

start vette indoors...bugs, mice, dogs, most people--->
Old 02-20-2005, 09:38 PM
checklst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful some of the bug bombs use a flammable discharge agent(propane) and the clock of a 71(if it works) creates a vary large SPARK when the contact points reset the spring, if you happen to hit the right ratio of O2 verse propane she will explode,!!! Hate to explain that one to my insurance Co.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
bbeck
Pro

leaving the car run for a while sounds like a good idea
Old 02-20-2005, 10:49 PM
FEDX
Melting Slicks

Location: A high school diploma fixing what a college degree broke TN
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'

No,but a guy I work with has.Apparently for the life of the car no one could ride in the back seat or with the windows up because it was so contaminated with pine scented bug bomb,and the chemicals were strong enough to give you severe headaches,runny eyes and noses.But then again,you may not enjoy getting bit by a black widow either.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:58 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FEDX
No,but a guy I work with has.Apparently for the life of the car no one could ride in the back seat or with the windows up because it was so contaminated with pine scented bug bomb,and the chemicals were strong enough to give you severe headaches,runny eyes and noses.But then again,you may not enjoy getting bit by a black widow either.
That's my biggest concern, a nasty lingering smell. The shed has enough ventilation in the roof & doors that I don't think it will be effective holding in exhaust or insecticide. Once I get rid of them & their eggs, it's easy to keep them away - they hate WD-40. I have an old truck parked out in the weeds that was infested with Black Widows a few years ago. I used a pressure washer to get rid of them (along with most of the paint & some parts that wern't bolted on too good ). After the truck was dry, I sprayed down the eng compt with WD-40. Most critters stayed away from it for over a year. I just can't bring myself to spray my vette interior with WD-40
Old 02-21-2005, 01:21 AM
standup
Drifting

Originally Posted by 71coupe
...they hate WD-40.....
.....they hate the sole of a Nike too.........it's just a spider......if you're worried about surprises while driving, then check for rattlesnakes......kinda hard to shift and fire a shotgun at the same time, although I'm sure there's a few guys in Texas that can do it.... ....

.....the bug bomb is overkill and so is the WD-40......
Old 02-21-2005, 05:33 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by standup
.......kinda hard to shift and fire a shotgun at the same time, although I'm sure there's a few guys in Texas that can do it.... ....

"Watch yer foot Martha!"

Get notified of new replies

To Ever set off a bug bomb in your car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ever set off a bug bomb in your car?