C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker box

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speaker box

has anyone seen or have one of these if so what are the demsions of the box because I like the Idea i just want to build it with a 8 inch subwoofer and 2 6x9 vertical insead of horizonal. thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 08:42 PM
vette_newb
Instructor

i'm interested in any replies here as well....what year are you looking at? i have a '74 coupe and, though sound won't be an issue for a long time, i'll be wanting to make my own box as well.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

75 coupe
Old 02-20-2005, 09:05 PM
bbeck
Pro

I actually have one in the back of my car, but I won't be able to pull any dimensions for a while. My car is back in central Michigan, and I'm in Pittsburgh, PA
Old 02-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

When you get back to your car it would be greatly appricated if you could get the deminsion. I am a long time away from installing my stereo. Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 09:32 PM
bbeck
Pro

k, I'll keep you in mind, cause I too would like to add one or two small woofers
Old 02-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

that is greatly appriciated
Old 02-20-2005, 09:53 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Silver00V6Camaro
has anyone seen or have one of these if so what are the dimensions of the box because I like the Idea i just want to build it with a 8 inch subwoofer and 2 6x9 vertical instead of horizontal. thanks
They suck, they suck, they SUCK!!

I got one of those and thought they would fit in the back in a way that it would not block the T-tops. Well, that was $150ish wasted. I made larger corner boxes instead and tossed that P.O.S. "Custom Fit" conglomeration of presswood and carpet.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Silver00V6Camaro
Drifting

Do you have the demensions I am not wanting to buy the one from ecklers I just want the demensions so I can make my own out of either fiberglass or mfd speaker board.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 PM
vette_newb
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSeery
They suck, they suck, they SUCK!!

I got one of those and thought they would fit in the back in a way that it would not block the T-tops. Well, that was $150ish wasted. I made larger corner boxes instead and tossed that P.O.S. "Custom Fit" conglomeration of presswood and carpet.
hmmm..... corner boxes you say? i was just looking at a few designs on corvettefaq.com, but they seemed generally to be for fastbacks. i'm gonna go at it with some cardboard this weekend and see what flies as far as corner boxes in the coupes. i want something original and different. we'll see, eh? good luck to us all
Old 02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Silver00V6Camaro
Do you have the dimensions I am not wanting to buy the one from Ecklers I just want the dimensions so I can make my own out of either fiberglass or mfd speaker board.
You would be better off not using those dimensions is what I should have said. It doesn't fit worth a damn and just sits on the floor. A simple box could give the same effect as their "custom fit" box did.

sorry, no dimensions. Just a warning that the box is not all it's supposed to be. You would be better off making your own that copying that thing.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:37 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one for my 80 with two 6x9s. My electronics buddy said the box was too big for just 6x9s but I did not want a big woofer. Turns out we both were right. I get plenty of base for my taste. I kept it simple using 1"x12" press board. In other words it is 42"Lx12"wx12'h. This size still allows me access to the storage compartments. I would never build one of these based on someone else's measurements. I later cut the "ears/corners" off of the front so I could remove the box when I wanted to without removing the trim pieces. Just leave the carpet extending past the box and it will fill the corners nicely. Total cost if I remember right was about $50.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:21 PM
soggybottomboy
Instructor

I just finished building boxes for my 77. I used 3/4" plywood to put two 10" subwoofers and a 375 watt amp in the back. I did it differently than the one shown because that setup doesn't leave any room in the floor for tops. I used a width of 41" to allow for carpet. This sets on top of the humps and everything else is above that. 6X9s would easily fit and probably could sit even higher. My setup leaves about 31/2" to the bottom of the rear compartment. 6X9's could probably sit on the second hump using a width of about 48". That would leaves lots of room underneath.
Mark
Old 02-20-2005, 11:51 PM
breathial
Pro

I've been building speaker boxes for cars for a while, now...

While mid and high frequencies speakers aren't too finicky about the size or shape of their enclosure and mounting, the mid-bass and bass woofers are VERY finicky.

Each speaker design has its own unique set of characteristics, know as Thiele-Small Specifications. Six parameters that, when computed out, will give you an "ideal" box size in cubic inches for that particular speaker. Want more "boom," like the kids who listen to rap? Then the box should be smaller. Want a flat response curve (it sounds the same in volume from ~20Hz to 100Hz), then either a vented large box, or what's called an "isobaric push-pull."

There is FAR more to having a nice speaker set-up then simply going to Wally-world and buying a couple of cheapies...

Why would I say such things, you ask??? Because I got tired of speaker salesmen trying to blow smoke up my behind, about how this will work perfect with that, etc... And he didn't know what kind of music I even LISTEN to!!! (it makes a big difference, believe me)

IF you're looking for a speaker that will sound pretty good with a variety of music types, I'd recommend JL Audio. They have some nice-quality speakers, priced very competitively... And the key for them is that they work VERY well in small speaker boxes (~1 cubic for per 8" mini-woofer, and I've seen them require ~1.8 cubic feet per 10" sub, and two of them were hitting VERY hard, in a Geo Storm).

If you want that "boomy" bass that is with dance/hip-hop stuff, than use a vented enclosure. If you want more rapid response- like listening to rock, metal, etc... then go with a sealed enclosure...

I wrote a program on Excel to calculate the numbers, but I'll have to rewrite it again, as my old computer died and took the program with it... But I will rewrite it soon, as I'll be doing the same to my '74 Coupe, and also building some custom speaker systems for a couple of local bands...

Sorry to be long-winded, but I guess the bottom line is simple: there is NO box that is "universal" for a decent-sounding stereo... I would shy away from the box that's advertised.

Last edited by breathial; 02-20-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:23 AM
ferndog4
Instructor

Originally Posted by breathial
IF you're looking for a speaker that will sound pretty good with a variety of music types, I'd recommend JL Audio. They have some nice-quality speakers, priced very competitively... And the key for them is that they work VERY well in small speaker boxes (~1 cubic for per 8" mini-woofer, and I've seen them require ~1.8 cubic feet per 10" sub, and two of them were hitting VERY hard, in a Geo Storm).

JL 8w1 subwoofer, great space saver, great bass!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:02 PM
bbeck
Pro

breathial, I would like to see what you have in mind for your car- whenever you get around to working at it. pics or drawings
Old 02-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Suncountry
Instructor

Here is what I am doing with speakers in the back end. I am not that interested in a high dollar system so I went basic. This keeps the backend open for T-tops and luggage.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

I've got a JL 10" sub that has been in my last car. I agree that JL is good stuff. Also look at MB Quart speakers. The JL 10W3 won't get in the 'Vette because the motor makes the music I want to hear there!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought a speaker box at a parts store. This allowed the installation of two 6.5 speakers and a mid range. Instead of putting in on the floor of the rear compartment, I built a shelf that layed across the humps in the rear. The speaker box sits on this wooden brace, and allows for room underneath to use for t-top storage.

I know the sound may not be the best with this type of box, but it serves the purpose in the short run while I spend my money on other interior pieces.

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker box

Quick Reply: Speaker box