C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Coat/Clear Coat - Is it Really That Hard to Touch Up?

Old 02-25-2005, 09:40 PM
wattac2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Base Coat/Clear Coat - Is it Really That Hard to Touch Up?

I've just got one part back from the painter with a base coat/clear coat finish, and it needs some more paint in a couple of places. He's saying it'll have to be completely restripped and repainted. Isn't there an easy way to touch up base coat/clear coat finishes?

Andy
Old 02-25-2005, 09:48 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

there is a process for blending but it takes an expert.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:09 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wattac2
I've just got one part back from the painter with a base coat/clear coat finish, and it needs some more paint in a couple of places. He's saying it'll have to be completely restripped and repainted. Isn't there an easy way to touch up base coat/clear coat finishes?

Andy
BC/CC is very easy to spot paint. Typically, the panel involved must be recleared or the clear 'burned in" to the existing clear and buffed. Usually easier just to reclear the whole panel.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:40 AM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BC/CC is one of the easiest paint to fix. just sand and paint the area that need to be painted and clear the entire panel.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:49 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Andy -
BC/CC is easy to repair as the previous posts state. However, if you have a single part that needs more paint, it's easier to simply sand the entire part and completely re-shoot it rather than doing a spot-blend: for a spot blend, the entire part will need to be sanded anyway, since the clear would normally be re-applied to the entire part.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:15 PM
wattac2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses. The part in question is one of the grilles behind the rear window. I can see now that any re-sanding of just part of it is almost impossible, so I understand why he said he'd have to completely re-do the part. And, by the way, painting these grilles and the one in front of the windshield is a PITA. Too many different surfaces and too many different angles.

Thanks again,

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To Base Coat/Clear Coat - Is it Really That Hard to Touch Up?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Base Coat/Clear Coat - Is it Really That Hard to Touch Up?