C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help - Timing still off....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:17 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help - Timing still off....

Let me re-cap this, cause I'm not getting anywhere.

It's a Brand new 383, TFS heads, 10.3 compression, Edelbrock 600cfm, Edelbrock EPS intake, Lunati 227/230 HR.

I'm getting 34 degrees at idle (800 rpms ) without the vacuum advance...???

Currently - 800 rpms, vacuum advance disconnected, all vacuum ports pluged, 15" of vacuum (pretty steady but not perfect).

I checked the advance to be sure it wasn't stuck. Current springs are "silver" - medium ones. All timing is in by 3200 rpms with the silver springs. At 3200 - according to the Gun I have 60+ (which can't be correct).

I've checked the location of my timing light probe in three different locations. I am 100% certain I'm on the #1 plug. I've even connected right near the plug itself.

I'm running the Pertronix II ignition. I removed the excessive end play in the shaft with shims when it was installed on the original motor.

Everything (distributor, ignition and timing light) worked fine with the last motor.

It's a New balancer. I wouldn't think it would have slipped. The motor has only run 30 minutes total.

Engine was assembled by a local guy with a great rep.

Last night, I checked TDC. I used "Lars" TDC proceedure to verify TDC. Now, I didn't have a 14 mm bolt long enough to use as a piston stop. I used a mirror and a plastic rod to check when the piston was reaching TDC. I did this 5 or 6 times and I was within 2 degrees of TDC every time. I also pulled the valve cover to verify that I am on the compression stroke.

When aligned at TDC the rotor is pointed "exactly" at the number one point on the distributor cap.

I also borrowed a timing light from a fellow CF member (thanks Adam). It's a non-adjustable light. Same result as my adjustable light.

Ok, so I am at a complete loss. Is it possible that I am 1 tooth off with the distributor?

If I remove all things that would be known - Engine checks out at TDC, both timing light show same result, distributer and PerTronix were in original motor - that only leaves the installation of the distributor as the questionable part in my mind.

Anyone?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Drop me an e-mail and I'll send you my phone number here at the office. Then call me and I'll give you a few things you can do. The distributor installation won't cause any problem - you can install the distributor in any location and still time the engine.
lars.grimsrud@lmco.com
Old 03-15-2005, 10:05 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in good hands...
Old 03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are in good hands indeed. But let us know the problem when you find it, I for one would be interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help - Timing still off....

Quick Reply: Need Help - Timing still off....