C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove the dash 1972

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
kswezey
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remove the dash 1972

Where can I find out how to remove the dash to get to the headlight switch and dash lights???
Old 03-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Entropy
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Have you tried the Haynes or Chilton manual?

Otherwise I have an ecklers restoration manual and I have some of the original GM manuals for that year for working on a 1972 vette. If you can't find what you need in Haynes, email me (ted.weiland@gmail.com), and I can try to scan in what you need and send it too you.

I had my dash apart to fix the clock, but that's separate from where the headlight switch is. Good luck for when you do take it on.

trw
Old 03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
kswezey
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So in order to get to the headlight switch I do not need to remove the dash???
Old 03-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Entropy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

That's not quite what I mean.

The dash is not completely connected all the way across. The part that house the clock, oil pressure, etc is separate from that which houses the speedo, tack, etc. So when you pull the dash, you don't have to pull it all the way across the car, only the section that houses the speedo, tack and headlight switch.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not you'll have to pull the dash, but I'd say I'm about 90% sure without checking the manuals or my car (as it is in the shop right now) that you'll have to partially pull it to change it. But since I haven't pulled apart that part of my dash, I can't say for sure. Anyone with practical experience for this problem???

good luck
trw
Old 03-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably don't have to remove your dash completely to get at the headlight switch. There are two screws on the door pillar and three screws across the top of the driver's side dash section. There are also two screws from the instrument panel to the driver's side dash section. After these are removed, you will be able to pull down on the dash slightly, and this might be enough to get at the headlight switch (since it's on the far left side of the dash). If you need a little more clearance, remove the trim panel directly underneath the steering wheel and loosen and/or remove the two bolts the hold the steering column to the dash support. You may also need to loosen the two nuts where the steering column penetrates the floor pan to get the steering column to drop a bit further. This will allow the driver's side dash section to drop far enough down from the dash cap to get at the headlight switch.

I just had my dash apart to put in a new wiring harness this weekend, and can tell you how to diassemble it completely, but I think that the above should be enough to get at the headlight switch.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

in the last year I've had my dash apart alot , drop your steering column 2 bolts , remove screws on both sides of the drivers panel , and three screws at top pull panels out enough to get to switch , switch has a button on the base that allows you to pull shaft out
Old 03-28-2005, 09:12 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Todbo,
thanks for the tip on getting the lightswitch shaft out.

After you get the shaft out there is a headlight switch nut that can be screwed out from the drivers side of the dash. The light switch can then be taken out from under the dash area. There are two vacuum tubes that run to the light switch that signal the headlights to come up, or go down. A replacement lightswitch is $60 - $75 because of the vacuum feature.

kdf

Get notified of new replies

To remove the dash 1972

Quick Reply: remove the dash 1972