C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Starter Question? Need help Quick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
68coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Starter Question? Need help Quick!!!

Hello,
I am working on installing the mini starter right now, but here is my problem.
I do not understand the wiring.
ON the old starter there is one wire coming from the battery going to one post.

There is one wire going to an R post. (Run)
There is one wire going to S Post. (Run)

On the new starter there is just one post (for the battery I assume) and a spade terminal which according to the directions is for the starter switch. (other than that there are no other electrical directions.)

Do I put the wire that was going to the S and run it to the starter switch spade terminal?

What about the wire that went to the R? Do I just leave that out? Do mini starters use that wire?

Please help!!!!
Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-21-2005, 05:54 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One wire is the start wire (s)
The other is the Run wire (R)
the run wire has a resistor built in so you don't burn up the coil. That is the one you want to use.
The S wire does not need to be used.

BUT, make sure you actually have the resistance wire hooked up. There should be 6 volts to the coil with the key on but the engine off... ( with the points closed of course )
Old 05-21-2005, 06:00 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

One wire is 12 volts from the start postion on your key switch to energize the starter. The other feeds 12 volts to your coil on start up for easier starting, once your release the key to the run position your coil is fed a lower voltage thru a ballist resistor or a resistance wire. This was to ensure longer life for the the points. Hope this helps. Ron B.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:07 PM
68coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by 427V8
One wire is the start wire (s)
The other is the Run wire (R)
the run wire has a resistor built in so you don't burn up the coil. That is the one you want to use.
The S wire does not need to be used.

BUT, make sure you actually have the resistance wire hooked up. There should be 6 volts to the coil with the key on but the engine off... ( with the points closed of course )

I have electronic ignition

start wire to the start switch?
Thanks,

JOe
Old 05-21-2005, 06:08 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 68coupe
Hello,
I am working on installing the mini starter right now, but here is my problem.
I do not understand the wiring.
ON the old starter there is one wire coming from the battery going to one post.

There is one wire going to an R post. (Run)
There is one wire going to S Post. (Run)

On the new starter there is just one post (for the battery I assume) and a spade terminal which according to the directions is for the starter switch. (other than that there are no other electrical directions.)

Do I put the wire that was going to the S and run it to the starter switch spade terminal?

What about the wire that went to the R? Do I just leave that out? Do mini starters use that wire?

Please help!!!!
Thanks,
Joe

I had the same issue when I put my mini starter in, if you are still using a points style distributor you will need the s wire. The S wire is used to provide a solid 12v to the coil whilst cranking. As per Powermaster and CSR, you need a "diode" kit (they sell for $20 from Jegs, but you can make one for $3 if you can use a soldering iron) This lead attaches to the large terminal on the motor side (not on the solenoid...it has the spade going into the motor windings).
Go to powermasters website, they have all the info you need.

Nick
Old 05-21-2005, 06:14 PM
68coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
I had the same issue when I put my mini starter in, if you are still using a points style distributor you will need the s wire. The S wire is used to provide a solid 12v to the coil whilst cranking. As per Powermaster and CSR, you need a "diode" kit (they sell for $20 from Jegs, but you can make one for $3 if you can use a soldering iron) This lead attaches to the large terminal on the motor side (not on the solenoid...it has the spade going into the motor windings).
Go to powermasters website, they have all the info you need.

Nick
I have electronic ignition.
Should I just use the run wire and not the start wire?
With electronic ignition do I have to get the resistor kit?
Right now I have tyhe s wire to the starter switch terminal and the run wire disconnected. It starts , but I am worried about bruning up the coil. Should I be worried?
Went to powermaster site and I could not find anything..
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by 68coupe; 05-21-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:19 PM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delete the resistor wire (wire with cloth screen covering). I have mine coiled up for future use. S = Switch.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:21 PM
68coupe
Pro

found the info on Powermasters website.
It says that with MSd which I have, the R termainal is not needed.
right now I have the s going to the starter switch and the R not connnected.
It starts fine, but I anm still a little worried.
Any suggestions????
Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-21-2005, 07:24 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

You're fine. The extra wire was only used with points ignitions. The points would burn up if full power was run thru them so the feed to the coil from the ignition switch had a resistor built in that limited the voltage to about 6-7V. During cranking the battery is heavily loaded and voltage would drop. That meant the coil got even less than 6V and sometimes the engine wouldn't start.

The wire you're not using fed full voltage to the coil during cranking.

With electronic igition you should not have the resistor wire anymore (you DID get rid of it, right?) and the extra wire is not needed.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:24 PM
68coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by zwede
You're fine. The extra wire was only used with points ignitions. The points would burn up if full power was run thru them so the feed to the coil from the ignition switch had a resistor built in that limited the voltage to about 6-7V. During cranking the battery is heavily loaded and voltage would drop. That meant the coil got even less than 6V and sometimes the engine wouldn't start.

The wire you're not using fed full voltage to the coil during cranking.

With electronic igition you should not have the resistor wire anymore (you DID get rid of it, right?) and the extra wire is not needed.
Hey,
Thanks for the post.
I am only using two wires...
The start wire that went to the S terminal and now goes to the start terminal that is labeled starter switch. The only other wire that I am using is the one from the battery.
It starts fine and I think I am in good shape, but is there anything I should be aware of?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Jack71
Drifting

My ministarter is wired the same way Joe. You are all set. Just make sure the spade connector is on tight.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:23 AM
68coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Jack71
My ministarter is wired the same way Joe. You are all set. Just make sure the spade connector is on tight.
Thanks Jack!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Mini Starter Question? Need help Quick!!!

Quick Reply: Mini Starter Question? Need help Quick!!!