C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please read these emails with Edelbrock Tech concerning hooking up carb properly

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 03:24 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read these emails with Edelbrock Tech concerning hooking up carb properly

Here are a series of email with a tech from Edelbrock. The basically said in his last emai.....tough chit......I can't help you.....WTF??

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 7:07 AM
To: edelbrock@edelbrock.com
Subject: 1406 carb question

I have purchase the 1406 carb for my 1981 Corvette (no computer) and do not have anywhere to hookup the detent cable (tranny kickdown) at the throttle linkage. I am extremely confused as to what to use for this.

Also, is there a piece of hardware that will accept both the detent cable and the cruise control?

Brian

----- Original Message -----

To: 'BrianC'

Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 4:13 PM

Subject: RE: 1406 carb question

Brian,

What model of transmission do you have?

Chris Wiesinger

Edelbrock Corporation Tech Department

Sport Compact Tech

Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 9:20 PM
To: Chris Wiesinger
Subject: Re: 1406 carb question

Chris, as far as I know it's the stock automatic TH-350 tranny.

Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:31 AM

Brian,

If you have a TH350 you will want to use a 8018 to attach the Detent cable to the carb. You will also want to use a 8031 throttle cable bracket.

Chris Wiesinger

Sport Compact Tech

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 4:56 PM

I still don't understand or see where the stud with hook on the throttle assembly at the carb?? There is no were to put the stud.....

Brian

Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:51 AM

Brian,

The Stud bolts through one of the holes in the throttle arm

Chris Wiesinger

Sport Compact Tech

Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:19 AM

Chris, I don't see any available holes. Check pics, as I may have something hooked up wrong.

Brian

Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:31 AM

Brian,

You will need to attach the kick down stud through the bottom hole where the throttle return spring is. You will have to move the throttle return spring to the top biggest hole on the lever, and make it pull from the front.

Chris Wiesinger

Sport Compact Tech

Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:20 AM

Thank....

Return spring from front? You mean from the other direction? What do I attach the other end of spring to on the front?

Thanks again for the help.....

Brian

Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 11:24 AM

Brian,

You are going to have to attach the spring to something, the kick down should go in the lowest location.

Chris Wiesinger

Sport Compact Tech

Oh come on........there has got to be some reasonable way to hook up the spring return other than a sky hook!! As many carbs as y'all sell, I'm the only one having this problem with an 81 vette, 350 stock motor, auto. tranny, th350? If I can't hook this carb up properly with attachments you sell, or can recommend, I would like you to issue me a RA NUMBER ASAP, for two EB carbs, the 600, and the 750 I have both purchased in the last few months.

Brian]

Last edited by MsVetteMan; 05-26-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not uncommon to use a retrun spring forward of the carb. For under $10 you can buy a pair of shiney springs and a bracket that attaches to the second front left intake manifold bolt.
Gary
Old 05-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Not uncommon to use a retrun spring forward of the carb. For under $10 you can buy a pair of shiney springs and a bracket that attaches to the second front left intake manifold bolt.
Gary

that's how my '76 with the auto trans was hooked up.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:59 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Gary
Where do I get the bracket and springs, and part# if you know.....

Thanks in advance.......
Old 05-26-2005, 04:06 PM
scotty13
Instructor

any of your neighborhood autoparts stores. i got mine at advance autoparts. or autozone
Old 05-26-2005, 04:10 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Summit Racing, Jegs, local speed shop, even (heaven forbid) Pep Boys or Autozone.
All these places should have something to suit yoru needs.
Heck - you just need an angled piece of steel or aluminum with two holes drilled in it.
You can use the springs you have - for now.

I would have been a bit concerned ... third line down:

Chris Wiesinger

Sport Compact Tech

The only thing 'tech' here is that he is using a computer to
retrieve your (numeric part number) answers. I bet he knows which
cam to pick for a 99 Accord, though.

Good luck

Last edited by NHvette; 05-26-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:23 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Having the spring forward is actually the correct way. The way you have it hooked up puts rearward stress on the throttle shaft bushings (throttle cable pulls rearward as does return spring). You probably had a bracket on the 2 front intake manifold bolts from the factory. The bracket served double duty. It was used as a lift bracket to lift the engine out and also a place to hook your return spring.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:26 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zwede
Having the spring forward is actually the correct way. The way you have it hooked up puts rearward stress on the throttle shaft bushings (throttle cable pulls rearward as does return spring). You probably had a bracket on the 2 front intake manifold bolts from the factory. The bracket served double duty. It was used as a lift bracket to lift the engine out and also a place to hook your return spring.
Hmm......I think their is still a lift bracket there, don't know if it's close enough.

Could I use this? Link....... http://store.summitracing.com/largei...part=SUM-G1339

Last edited by MsVetteMan; 05-26-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:35 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Went down and checked the spring to the front bracket and it was a long stretch. Pretty firm.........
Old 05-26-2005, 04:47 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

I read all the emails, and to me it looks like "Chris" did a pretty good job hanging in with you. He worked you through all of your problems until you got to the final problem of where to hook the spring from the front of the car.....and from the other posts it doesn't seem like that was a difficult problem to work.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:52 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zwede
Checked the AIM and it shows the spring being hooked up similar to what I have now, not going towards the front. I'm sure it will work, just gotta find the right bracket. HOW MUCH TENSION SHOULD BE ON THE SPRING?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I read all the emails, and to me it looks like "Chris" did a pretty good job hanging in with you. He worked you through all of your problems until you got to the final problem of where to hook the spring from the front of the car.....and from the other posts it doesn't seem like that was a difficult problem to work.
First off, their is no mention anywhere in the carb instructions or sale info. that any special type of brackets are needed for the hookup on chevy 350 automatic........

Second.....you ever try to call EB for tech assistance?

Third.....He works for EB, he should now exactly what it takes to hook up this carb for my car, as it sold for my car. I shouldn't have to pry or reads one mind digging for information.

Typical of understaffed corporations with unqualified personel calling themselves techs.

He did try, however, but he left me hanging.........
Old 05-26-2005, 05:07 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree he tried - but unqualified to serve you properly.

That bracket looks fine ... as long as the mounting hole is correct diameter (5/16).
There doesn't need to be much initial tension with the double return springs you have.
Set it up to have similar tension to what you currently have.

I too have stretched the springs out far before. It works, but for how long ?

While our Edelbrocks did not come from the factory, I thought the
rear position was stock, also. You can see mine in this picture from last night:
http://NHvette.com/ftp/in/fiberglass_cafeteria_tray.jpg
Old 05-26-2005, 05:12 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Ms -
When you install custom aftermarket components, you have to do custom fabrication. This is the norm, and it is an accepted practice. Your Vette never came with an AFB, so using a generic aftermarket carb that is not built specifically for your car will require that you do some custom work. Build a bracket for the spring and run it forward as the tech suggested. You will have to find a place to bolt it down, and arrange the geomtry so that the tension will be correct for the application. The tech has given you complete and correct info.

Your other option is to install the actual factory correct carb for the car. Only then will all items simply bolt up. This is called the 50% hobby for a reason: Only 50% of the parts you buy will fit or work...
Old 05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lars
Ms -
When you install custom aftermarket components, you have to do custom fabrication. This is the norm, and it is an accepted practice. Your Vette never came with an AFB, so using a generic aftermarket carb that is not built specifically for your car will require that you do some custom work. Build a bracket for the spring and run it forward as the tech suggested. You will have to find a place to bolt it down, and arrange the geomtry so that the tension will be correct for the application. The tech has given you complete and correct info.

Your other option is to install the actual factory correct carb for the car. Only then will all items simply bolt up. This is called the 50% hobby for a reason: Only 50% of the parts you buy will fit or work...
Thanks for the reply Lars, but I don't want to be BUBBA! (unless I have to that is)!

I'm not mad at the kid.......I just think they should give you some type of warning with the product, and in this case there was none! I'll figure something out I'm sure........
Old 05-26-2005, 05:33 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

In all fairness to the tech......he keeps trying and responding. This is the latest.......

Brian,

You can use our 8005 Universal throttle return spring and plate. This plate will bolt to one of the carburetor bold down holes and have a spring come off of it. Im sure you can figure some way of mounting the spring, but you might have to get creative.

Chris Wiesinger

Sport Compact Tech
Old 05-26-2005, 05:36 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NHvette
I agree he tried - but unqualified to serve you properly.

That bracket looks fine ... as long as the mounting hole is correct diameter (5/16).
There doesn't need to be much initial tension with the double return springs you have.
Set it up to have similar tension to what you currently have.

I too have stretched the springs out far before. It works, but for how long ?

While our Edelbrocks did not come from the factory, I thought the
rear position was stock, also. You can see mine in this picture from last night:
http://NHvette.com/ftp/in/fiberglass_cafeteria_tray.jpg
I'm going to try and figure out a way to mount something about the same distance and spring tension as the original. There is a little tension on it now, but no much. Around and around and around we go................

Get notified of new replies

To Please read these emails with Edelbrock Tech concerning hooking up carb properly

Old 05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

So...... why exactly did you waste your time and emailed them instead of asking here ???

I was very disappointed with Edelbrock's tech support when I asked about my cam and heads on my L48... it took them almost a week to figure out that their performer RPM cam doesn't work on a low compression engine. I installed the milder 'performer' model and everything was fine.... they insisted I needed new pistons to make it work

Their products are awesome, their support sux.....
Old 05-26-2005, 07:07 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

heres my forward mounted spring for my speed demon

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 PM
MsVetteMan
Melting Slicks

That looks good bob.....where you get that, and what is it?

P.s.: you don't have to manually add the [img] when you click the pic button, it does it for you!

Quick Reply: Please read these emails with Edelbrock Tech concerning hooking up carb properly