C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[700R4 Speedometer Calibration] – Changing the drive and driven gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 07:46 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default [700R4 Speedometer Calibration] – Changing the drive and driven gears

This job took me 1-1/2 hours to complete.

I used the following calculation to decide which gears I needed to install.

Put car on jack stands or lift.

Remove the speedometer cable and driven gear carrier.
A very small amount of transmission fluid will spill out upon removal of the carrier.

Remove drive shaft from transmission yoke.

Remove tail-shaft housing from transmission.

After removing the four bolts which secure the tail-shaft housing to the transmission case I found that the transmission cross-member had to be lowered a little so the housing could be removed from the car. I was able to do this without lowering the exhaust system.

Remove the drive gear from the shaft.
The drive gear was VERY tight on the shaft. To speed up removal, using a wood chisel, I split the old drive gear. This only required one firm hit.

Install new drive gear.
The new gear was just as tight as the old one. To make installation possible I boiled a cup of water in the microwave and then dropped the new drive gear in the hot water for a couple of minutes. This expanded the gear enough to quickly slide it over the shaft by hand.
(NOTE: The metal retainer clip is positioned on the shaft by one of two holes. Be sure that you select the same hole it came out of. I mistakenly selected the wrong hole thus causing my drive gear to not be centered with the driven gear. I didn’t realize this mistake until I had re-assembled everything.
I guess it’s close enough because my speedometer is working! Good thing because I really didn’t want to tear it all back apart again. )

[pic of gear on shaft]

Last edited by MIKER; 05-28-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:51 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

good job sure glad mine turned out on the money....nice h pipe...

Quick Reply: [700R4 Speedometer Calibration] – Changing the drive and driven gears