C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Martin Turbo setup, or accel turbosonic

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supervett77
yeah a centrifigal would be nice it it didn't have to have this much work and a modified frame just to fit it under the hood take a look http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=8
No roots blowers because i like a stealthy look. Meaning no holes in my hood. Also nitrous is cool on top of a big block but how many turbocharged 77 corvettes do you see. Not to many. Plus turbos in my belief are the most efficient plus i love the blow off valve. For people to hear that coming out of a fuel injected 77 corvete would blow peoples minds. I dont plan to beat everyone I just find it fun to be competitve once in a while. Give that stock 05 viper a run for his money. Thats fun to me. The fastburn crate motor is temporary til i forge and blue print everything i guess i should have been more specific. depending upon weather i can afford it right away if not ill run low boost.. til i can. It will hurt nothing. with a built motor im looking for somewhere around 600 or so 650 max. Nothing crazy to some but crazy to me for the street. and maybe an autocross event. My car is not set up for drag. VBP suspension. Stage 3 diff and 17inch rims around. So i how can i get a single turbo in my car??? Could i make my exhaust a y pipe after the headers and install a turbo there. Or should i try something like what they are doing on the camaros and run it out by the back bumper. Im all ears.
They used a 12 rib pulley and a huge blower setup, requiring more space.

I will be using a ATI P1SC and 8 rib setup, (half the diameter they needed). intercooler, etc. I am using the new BG Mighty Demon blow through setup. Relocate the power steering, etc. I you think using a supercharger is hard, routing a turbo exhaust will be even more difficult under the hood. I am awaiting the brackets and pulleys from ATI anyday now. I am toying with the idea of using the split ATI intercoolers under my front nose like the fbody mounts.

Expect to modify with either method.

Do lots of research and which ever solution you pick will be fine.

Last edited by ylose; 07-27-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Hey, anybody remember Monty and his twin turbo 427 small block. 1200hp/1000 ft-lbs on 93 octane. One of the ultimate sleepers.
Here is a link to his sight:
http://www.montygwilliams.com

I think Monty switched to turbo'ing duel 500c.i. engines on power boats.
He was very informative and knowledgeable.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

monty has 2 540s w/ roots blowers on them, not turbos. He posted pics recently.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 PM
supervett77
Instructor

I like the idea of using the u bends from summit and welding them together so my piping is mandrel bent. So what kind of welder would i need for this job I've been thinking of getting one. I was also wondering my72bigblock if you are fuel injected or are running a blow through carb and are you running twins or single, and where is the placement of your turbo's.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:34 PM
supervett77
Instructor

I agree ylose I probably am going the harder route but in my own stuborness it just feels likes its going to workout... I have also researched that turbos have quite a bit of torque and also make more power under the curve which is what i want. This means the motor does more work for the same equivilancy of peak power. Also turbos are more efficient and are also known to have a pretty sick top end!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 AM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use a lincoln 110 volt wire feed, works great. I was gong to build all the exhaust out of stainless but its harder to work with than mild steel. I use a sawzall to cut the pipes and stainless doesnt cut very good with it and since it was an experiment I decided to go the cheap route first bacause it always seems there is somthing you want to do different after you get things up and running. I used some block hugger headers and looped under the frame and back up in the fender between the inner fender well and the firewall. I removed the stock heater- a/c and the vacuum tank to make room for the turbos. I have drooled over monte's car for a few years, its a beast! This is the first forced induction setup I have been around so I dont have anything to compare it to but I do know that my turbos will make full boost by 3000 revs.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Are you using your stock oil pan? And where are you getting your oil to lubricate the turbos?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:03 AM
my72vette454
Racer

Yeah the stocker, I drilled holes in each side and welded drain fittings in. The pan is easy to get off. For the oil feed lines I just used several tees off the oil pressure guage port, my feed lines are 1/4 inch.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Nice

Thanks
Old 07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
supervett77
Instructor

Now that i know what im going to weld with to do the piping. Is there an adapter i can weld to the blockhuggers or piping for where ever i decide to mount the turbo. I want a single turbo. What turbo would you guys recommend. For a while it will be low boost hopefully making around 525hp til i build the bottom end. I guess i want to buy a decent turbo i can upgrade the bottom end around when I can afford too. Trying to get buy as inexpensive as possible.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by my72vette454
I built my twin turbo system over last winter and used lots of u bends from summit racing to plumb it all in. My motor was tired and by the time I got everything working good the engine had lots of blowby so I am in the middle of building a new motor with eagle 4340 crank and rods with je forged pistons. I am using a 750 holley carb that I modified so I can blow through it and it works good, have had 15 lbs of boost through it so far and it works great. Blowers are definately easier to install but I am one of those wacko guys that always has to take the road less traveled, and yeah the blowoff valve does sound pretty cool.

Mike
pic's and info
Old 07-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

download a program called turbocalc its like 15 bucks. Using that and some of the engine dyno programs you can see about what you need.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Also if you want to run 1 turbo, I would look at a grand national header system.

Twin turbos I think would be easier given the layout of stuff. Long crossover tubes arent exactly great.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:31 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
Also if you want to run 1 turbo, I would look at a grand national header system.
The GN was a V6
Old 07-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 75 Stingray!
The GN was a V6
I know but there is alot to learn from it. Like the crossover tube and other header requirements.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:50 PM
supervett77
Instructor

ill download turbocalc then.
If i had a grandnational header i could cut off the part the turbo mounts too and weld it to my piping.. would that work too. Are grandnational exhaust manifolds expensive.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:08 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

here is a free calculator. Im not so sure how accurate it is though
http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/glo...rbo_calc.shtml

Get notified of new replies

To Martin Turbo setup, or accel turbosonic

Old 07-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by supervett77
ill download turbocalc then.
If i had a grandnational header i could cut off the part the turbo mounts too and weld it to my piping.. would that work too. Are grandnational exhaust manifolds expensive.
The point I was trying to make is that if you want to use 1 turbo you are gonna have to figure out where to mount the turbo. You could mount it like monty(www.montygwilliams.com), and just use 1 turbo. Or you could mount it like my72vette454, and run a pair of shorty headers into a y-pipe that is right under the header on the passenger side of the engine somewhere.

With a single turbo you have to figure out a cross over tube. and a big single exhaust.

Figure out where you want to stick your turbo, and then figure out how you are gonna get a 2.25" pipe to it, and a 3 - 3.5" exhaust away from it.

Just look at the V6 grand national and see who it looks. That is a really simple crossover system. and would be really easy to make.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:39 PM
supervett77
Instructor

Well i was looking over my car couldn't i just use my hooker long tubes and run twins off the collector they are 1 5/8 inch into a 3 inch collector. Or would i not get enough pressure.. Is that too big of a diameter. If so what diameter of piping should i use to mount going into the turbo and out. if the long tubes dont work what shorties would you go with. cuz im looking at purchasing them if the longtubes wont work.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sure you could mount them low, add a scavenge pump to your list of parts and you're in business. Just cut the collecter partly before the flange and weld on the turbo flange. Should work like a charm.

Quick Reply: Martin Turbo setup, or accel turbosonic