C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to grease a fuel pump??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:49 PM
more_cc's
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to grease a fuel pump??

I'm in the process of fitting a new mechanical fuel pump on my 1980 C3. The new pump instructions says to grease the rocker arm and rocker cavity to lubricate internal parts. Now does that mean the cavity on the fuel pump or the cavity on the engine block or both??

I know someone had done this recently so any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the fuel pump, especially the pivot. Make sure to grease the push-rod and lever contact foot..
Old 08-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not recommend using any lube on the fuel pump parts due to the fact that that area is part of the oil system and will get soaked with engine oil, and wash lumps of lube into the oil pan and contaminate the oil. Therefore, I recommend that you apply some of engine oil...whatever you are running in the engine...on the upper portion of the push rod in the area where it will be going through the block, and a drop on the both ends. You don't need to worry about anything else because about 30 seconds after you start the car there will be a nice flow of oil through there. If you put too much on the push rod then it will drip down onto your gasket surfaces before you can get it bolted up. Another tip is to remove the bolt on the front of the engine near the fuel pump...you will see that it isn't holding anything on...it's an access port so you can get in there with something...finger...whatever...and hold the push rod in place while you set the pump in place.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:24 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I greased the hell out of the rod just to hold it in place while I scrambled to push the pump in place and screw it down.
Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 10:16 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll
I would not recommend using any lube on the fuel pump parts due to the fact that that area is part of the oil system and will get soaked with engine oil, and wash lumps of lube into the oil pan and contaminate the oil. Therefore, I recommend that you apply some of engine oil...whatever you are running in the engine...on the upper portion of the push rod in the area where it will be going through the block, and a drop on the both ends. You don't need to worry about anything else because about 30 seconds after you start the car there will be a nice flow of oil through there. If you put too much on the push rod then it will drip down onto your gasket surfaces before you can get it bolted up. Another tip is to remove the bolt on the front of the engine near the fuel pump...you will see that it isn't holding anything on...it's an access port so you can get in there with something...finger...whatever...and hold the push rod in place while you set the pump in place.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:35 AM
SomeSayIllFixIt
Instructor

If you put in a longer bolt in place of the acces hole bolt it holds the pushrod up nicely.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeSayIllFixIt
If you put in a longer bolt in place of the acces hole bolt it holds the pushrod up nicely.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:40 PM
more_cc's
Instructor

Cheers guys,
I actually managed to get the fuel pump all installed successfully and I no longer have a fuel leak!

When I installed it I greased the rod to keep it in place, I plan to change the oil in a few miles so the grease in the oil shouldn't be too much of a problem. I also greased the pivot lever and tip of the lever on the fuel pump. I didn't put any grease in the fuel pump itself. I assuming that oil from the engine will flow into here and lubricate the internals of the pump - is that a fair assumption or am I risking the pump mailfunctioning?

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:35 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by more_cc's
Cheers guys,
I actually managed to get the fuel pump all installed successfully and I no longer have a fuel leak!

When I installed it I greased the rod to keep it in place, I plan to change the oil in a few miles so the grease in the oil shouldn't be too much of a problem. I also greased the pivot lever and tip of the lever on the fuel pump. I didn't put any grease in the fuel pump itself. I assuming that oil from the engine will flow into here and lubricate the internals of the pump - is that a fair assumption or am I risking the pump mailfunctioning?

Thanks again!
You don't have to worry about changing your oil due to the small amount of grease you used to hold in the rod. Also don't worry about not greasing the internals of the pump.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:35 PM
more_cc's
Instructor

Great thanks for all the help.... that's one more off the list before the 1200 mile road trip next week!!!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:51 AM
r16678
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys I have a 1979 l48 is it the same as mentioned above, does oil flow in the chamber where the push rod is? thanks
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by r16678
Guys I have a 1979 l48 is it the same as mentioned above, does oil flow in the chamber where the push rod is? thanks
Not a pressure oil flow, but it gets lube from the oil that gets spun off the cam. Same oil that lubes the fuel pump pushrod to cam.
The following users liked this post:
r16678 (05-28-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:42 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll

Get notified of new replies

To Where to grease a fuel pump??

Quick Reply: Where to grease a fuel pump??