C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'81 Horn not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 12:36 AM
rmadlem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '81 Horn not working

The horn in my '81 will not work. I noticed the spring, sleeve, and metal shaft were missing so I replaced these. The horn still won't work. Can anyone give me a description of how these are installed? The directions that came with the kit are terrible, I installed them in the way I thought made sense. What would the next thing to look for be? The horns themselves??
Old 08-03-2001, 12:47 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: '81 Horn not working (rmadlem)

I don't remember exactly how the parts you describe go in, but I do remember that when that small rod is sticking out if you ground it the horn should go off. You could try taking the upper contact assembly out and grounding the contact rod to see if the horn goes off then. If it does it is the upper assembly. Only one of your horns should work with the horn. The other one is for the alarm, I think. Mine had the upper assembly always grounding out, so I had to use some small paper spacers and new rivets to get it to work right again. If you find out there is a problem with your upper assembly let me know and I'll tell you what I did to mine to get it to work. :D
Old 08-03-2001, 10:16 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spring goes in first. Insert pin into the sleeve, the large, flat end of the pin goes in first. Carefully press the pin angainst the spring and turn the sleeve so that it locks into place. A straightened paperclip works well for this.

Assuming that everything is in place, if your horn is not blowing, check to see if your horn relay is clicking or not. The horn relay is a light blue plastic cube under the dashboard. It is atached to a wiring harness.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:56 AM
rmadlem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks NeoFender,
I'll give that a try. I don't think that's how I installed it.
Take care
Old 08-03-2001, 11:08 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, with the spring out, you should be able to see the lower horn contact down in that hole. Using a small screwdriver, short this contact out against any other metal part and the horn should blow. If not, you'll know that your problem lies somewhere between that contact and the horns.

Get notified of new replies

To '81 Horn not working

Quick Reply: '81 Horn not working