C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Side Pipe Baffles are Great!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 02:01 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Side Pipe Baffles are Great!

Just got my new baffles for my Hooker side pipes and installed them this afternoon. Very nice design and quality piece of equipment! The mufflers are by no means quiet behind my factory spec L88; but, the car is much easier to drive, idles better, throttle is much more responsive making my double clutches a breeze. The car really and truly sounds the way it was meant to be. Higher rpm's sound is very authoritive, but smooth. Not like the flatulence of a Harley. Minor cackle when backing completely off throttle from approx. 4000rpm. May be more my car’s lack of tune. It is not fully dialed in yet. My engine is still too new to explore the full rpm range and power. I have kept it significantly below 102mph! But it is very hard to do so.

Judging sound from the description of others is very hard to do. I am told that Jim, the builder, designer of these pipes will be at Carlisle demonstrating them with his 69 Vette fitted with a new 383 small block. Look for the Mystique Corvette booth. My car is no louder than I recall it being when I ran 2.5” turbo mufflers out the back on my 500 hp small block, (the previous configuration). Highway cruise is very fine!

I had given serious consideration to changing to underneath exhaust again before I went with the new baffles. I am very pleased indeed! I understand a good and attractive heat shield is in the process of being designed and fabricated for the pipes too. I am looking forward to getting them. My 10 year old daughter got a 2nd degree burn on her first ride in the car from the pipes. I felt absolutely terrible!

Chuck

Old 08-03-2001, 08:56 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New Side Pipe Baffles are Great! (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck,
Glad you like the new baffles; aren't they great? I, too, almost put another system on my 502 because of all those things. Jim's supposed to be doing a system for "factory" side pipes also. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2001, 11:52 AM
chadman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get them? How much? I'm very interested in the heat shields too.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:29 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New Side Pipe Baffles are Great! (chadman)

I just got the baffles from Jim for my 69 Vette Roadster 383. I will be installing them in the next week or so. I have heard wonderfull things about these baffles and am looking forward to getting rid of the heavy, restrictive, and crappy sounding hooker glasspack inserts. I will advise all after the install and tune in of the engine. Right now Jim is sending me information so I can help him put together a bare bones website that will help answer alot of questions about these baffles and his other pipe and heat shield products. I will advise on the URL as soon as possible. In the meantime for all of you who have questions email him at JCL79383@aol.com. He is a great guy and will be happy to help you out. Also I beleive he is getting setup to accept paypal for payment. Best wishes to all. :cheers:
Old 08-03-2001, 12:50 PM
robert kirk
Racer

i to have just received my baffels. fit and finish was outstanding, i have sent them off to polydine to have them ceramic coated and will let you know the outcome. these really look like a quality product, i was very impressed, they were boxed excellent no damage in shiping. it is good to see a forum member that makes a quality product and delivers as quoted. jim is a class act, i would highly recomend doing business with him. robert
Old 08-03-2001, 01:59 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: New Side Pipe Baffles are Great! (robert kirk)

Can someone post a photo of these baffles...please

Get notified of new replies

To New Side Pipe Baffles are Great!

Quick Reply: New Side Pipe Baffles are Great!