C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 07:22 PM
Steve86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please

I've wanted a C-3 for a couple of years now. But most of the C-3's I have looked at were over priced trash. I've found a 73 locally that I love the looks of. Here's the description: Torch red t-top stingray with black int. excellent cond. 350 L-82 motor with 4 spd, power steering, power brakes, tilt wheel. all numbers match, everything in excellent working cond. and runs very strong. please email for pictures.

I have exchanged e-mails and have several pics of the car. Paint and condition of the outside appears flawless, interior is in excellent shape (from what I can tell in the pics). Owner is going to supply me with RPO codes on Monday and I'll find out more about it. Only drawback I can find is no A/C and I'm in Central CA and it is HOT here in the summer. Finally, owner is asking a firm $9,000.

So, give me all good and bad opinions. Car will be a weekend driver only.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:29 PM
Steve86
Racer

Default Re: Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please (Steve86)

Damn, hate replying to myself. It has 119,000 miles on it. Sorry
Old 08-04-2001, 08:33 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Sounds good to me.

You can always add on the A/C.

Is the price in line with the books? I don't have any pricing guides.

And your right. I have been to Dixon, and it can be hotter than heck there.

[Modified by BSeery, 4:34 PM 8/4/2001]
Old 08-04-2001, 08:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

That sounds like a decent price for a nice L-82, four-speed combo. I would say go for it. I do not have A/C and the car can be unbearable over about 85F, as it was today. But I do not see those temps very often and never drive with the T-tops on. You can pick your weekends and temps to suit your needs, as I do. I do not know the complexity or cost of aftermarket A/C units.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:59 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good. Wait till you see it in person though. I wouldnt worry about not having A/C. Half the time it doesnt work anyway. I wish my 73 had come without A/C. Check for frame rust. The price seems in the park. I bet you can talk him down with cash in hand.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:04 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The L82, 4 speed gives you alot of options to build on if you want more performance. I just love my 4 speed. Sound good for a 73.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:15 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There is a page on inspecting problem areas of C3's posted somewhere in the archives. You might want to look it up. It's really a good page. Sounds like a good deal to me though, from what you have described.

AC
Old 08-04-2001, 09:38 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please (A C)

Go to this link to learn everything you wanted to know about 73 Vettes and then make an offer.
Tom73 did a great job creating this site. http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/vette73/index.htm :chevy

[Modified by Red73, 7:39 PM 8/4/2001]
Old 08-04-2001, 09:58 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please (Ed T)

There is currently NO aftermarket airco units available to my knowledge and I have looked, if you want air, keep looking. :seeya
Old 08-04-2001, 10:17 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Sure sounds more than reasonable for a non-smog '73, even if w/hi miles....check all of the cosmetic stuff (Seats, Dash, Door Panels, etc.) as that can be more expensive to rplace than the mechanicals....Sounds like a winner tho... :cheers:
Old 08-04-2001, 10:21 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

If you goto my Corvettefaq site (see link below) you will see a link (in Misc section) to general things to lookfor when evaluating a c3 purchase.
-terry
Old 08-04-2001, 10:30 PM
VetteChick73
Racer

If A/C is all that could be keeping you from buying this car,then you could really be passing up a :cool: car! Half the time the A/C doesnt' work in these older C3's anyway. We bought our 73 with a BRAND NEW A/C unit in it, had it charged and the dang thing still doesn't work right. :crazy: In order to have it working properly, everything needs to be sealed and wired properly. I saw a "how-to" in my corvette magazines several months ago. Sounds like a pain in da butt to go through all that. Just drive wit da t's off. :D I wouldn't concern myself or put A/C as a high priority on your list for buying a C3....the non working POS just add unnecessary weight anyway. :lol:
Old 08-05-2001, 03:18 AM
Steve86
Racer

Default Re: Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please (VetteChick73)

Just got back from a great 200 mile round trip cruise. Beautiful moon lit night and nice twisty road to Clear Lake is good for the soul. Thanks for all the replies. A/C is middle of the list, I know from my previous looking that working A/C's are not easy to come by. I can live with top off cruising if the body, frame and interior are up to snuff. I should have the RPO's in hand on Monday and then I'll probably go look at it next weekend. I'm thinking it's a tad bit on the high end at 9k with the miles. I was thinking of starting at 7.5k and let the haggling begin. Half the fun is looking though, I have seen some real trash that was advertised as "mint". I was looking at a "numbers matching, all original" 70 last year. It was so bad my girlfriend refused to sit in it for a test drive. Paint was shot, interior was shot, had an aftermarket steering wheel (all original??) all the emblems were missing and you had to pull the hood cable through the windshield wiper area. The woman selling it was trying to impress me with all the documentation she had. I suggested she might want to at least wash and wax it and pull the rotting sheepskin covers off the seats and put on something at least clean. She "only" wanted $8,000 for it. Thanks for the input and I'll let you know how the inspection goes. Regards, Steve
Old 08-05-2001, 05:56 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

As others have said... most older C3's AC systems do not work. Many have threatened to pull them off. I always discourage this because it adds 8-10% to the value of the car. They may not find it important, but the next buyer might. The buyer may have the resources, knowledge and time to get it working again. Now... to your question. The price sounds great if the car is in the condition as told to you. I have working air, but generally don't use it. Even did an Arizona cruise in 105-110 heat and didn't use the air. But, in that kind of heat you need lots of water Most of my cruising is with the top down :cool: :cool: and I get lots of air ! One thing that is in favor for the '73 ... it is almost a chrome bumper car. Unique in that it has two different bumpers on it. Some believe that will bring higher value to the car in the future. Good luck on your search. Even if this car doesn't have air, it might be a good entry level Vette for you to get into the shark pond. At the price, you can always sell it for more if an AIR car appears in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a C-3, Opinions please