C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal switch - replace in car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I always transplant the old plug. If I remember right they send an adapter so the new plug will fit.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Nealjr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I have no valuable input but I had to share the fact that I was scanning post titles and read this one as "Turn signal switch - replace car?"... had to a double take.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the column off of ebay from a guy in Ohio by any chance.I bought one from him and sent it back for a refund after fooling with him over a month and a half.He claims to rebuild everything and to have 20 years exp doing it.He builds them with a bunch of used and new parts from othere columns and calls it good.Im going to find an original column and do it myself.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by rugerm44
Did you get the column off of ebay from a guy in Ohio by any chance.I bought one from him and sent it back for a refund after fooling with him over a month and a half.He claims to rebuild everything and to have 20 years exp doing it.He builds them with a bunch of used and new parts from othere columns and calls it good.Im going to find an original column and do it myself.
No, I just had a busted switch in my original column. Had to hold the directional arm while making right turns. Got tired of turning the wheel, holding the directional arm and shifting all at one time. Sucked when I would have to push in the clutch because then my knee couldn't hold the steering wheel any longer. Felt like an airline pilot. All I needed was a few overhead switches and I could have taken flight.

Terry
Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
I always transplant the old plug. If I remember right they send an adapter so the new plug will fit.
Roger, believe me, I wish there was an adapter in the switch kit I bought. Could have been one initially but wasn't one when I opened the box.

Glad to see I am not the only one to do the plug transplant. Bubbafying crossed my mind the whole time I was doing it but to be frankly honest, I wasn't about to pull everything apart without at least trying to switch the plug carriers first.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noonie
Thank you much kind sir!!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
The biggest problem that I found with changing the switch was fishing the switch wires up through the column head. The plastic "harmonica" connector tends to **** inside the column head and causes a real headache. Taping the connector to the wires can help. I always found that with the column out of the car, fishing the wires was a lot easier.

Some people have found that they can disconnect the individual wires from the plastic "harmonica" connector. Straighten a heavy paper clip or use a very thin blade screwdriver. Insert it into the "harmonica" connector from the contact side to disengage each wire and contact. There should be a small molded square channel in the connector that will guide you to a metal tang on the contact that holds it in place. Once you depress the tang and pop the wire and contact out of the connector, you should take a small knife blade and bend the tang back out so that it will engage the connector correctly upon reinstallation. The turn signal switch wiring can now be fed separately through the column.

Obviously, keep good track as to which wire came out of which connector position.

These three papers should help disassemble the steering column.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/T&TColumnD&R115DE05.doc
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/T&TColumnD&R217DE05.doc
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/T&TDis...age122MY05.doc

Good luck,
Jim
Jim is correct, I just replaced my turn signal switch on my 73 with a tilt wheel, you don't have to unbolt the columm from the dash, you do need a wheel puller and a tool to compress everything and re- install the lock retainer for the tilt control which they sell at Pep Boys.
I found which worked well to install the new harmonica connector thru the columm(you'll see a slot there for this) is I used electrial tape to tightly wrap the wires and protect them, then a fishing leader line attached to the connector, and sprayed the connector and inside the columm with lithium grease, it made things alot easier getting the connector thru.....
Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 AM
mikebloedel
Heel & Toe

Anyone know where I can buy a cancelling cam retainer 7808385? GM seems to be out of them and I can't find one aftermarket.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 AM
mikebloedel
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
You can go to your local GM dealer or you can also find it in the Zip Store right here on line. Look under T&T Column. Or you can go to other Vette suppliers.

On this forum click on Store (In the Red Bar); C3 Parts; 68-82 Steering Systems; 68-82 Steering Column; 69-82 Tilt & Telescoping; Steering Column Component; 69-82 Cancelling Cam Retainer - Plastic

Jim
I can't seem to find this retainer available today, do you have any suggestions?

Finally found one!!! Paragon Corvette part #4338.

Last edited by mikebloedel; 03-09-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Found part

Quick Reply: Turn signal switch - replace in car?