C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I took of the valve covers today..... scary..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 04:58 PM
stickben
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I took of the valve covers today..... scary..

There is about a half inch of black deposit covering everything. What is a good way to clean this? Would i notice any difference in the way the engine runs after these deposits are removed?

thanks

ben
Old 08-05-2001, 05:30 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: I took of the valve covers today..... scary.. (stickben)

I'm not sure what it is but I have the same black stuff its not very thick but covers most of the head (i'm guessing that they are carbon deposit but am not sure)

ZD

Oh yeah ttt
Old 08-05-2001, 05:34 PM
rdrman
Racer

Hows yor PVC valve I thought that it was supposed to suck that stuff out and reburn it
Old 08-05-2001, 05:38 PM
stickben
Instructor

ive never changed it but it still rattles, is that how you check it?
Old 08-05-2001, 05:40 PM
rdrman
Racer

Think so ,I would change it any way,might be a cheap fix
Old 08-05-2001, 05:58 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I took of the valve covers today..... scary.. (rdrman)

it sounds like you have alot of deposits building up.some causes are oil not being changed at normal intervals..previous owners of course or incorrect oil type...but if you decide to clean it out be careful not to knock it down in the pan or the oil pump will suck it up....get an old vacuum and suck it out as your scraping it out....seen it happen alot then you have to drop pan and replace oil pump and screen.
Old 08-05-2001, 07:03 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

That's sludge from the previous owner not taking care of the car. If they had changed the oil on a regular basis it would be clean as a whistle under there.

Back in the late 80's I bought a sweet '78 Chevy Monza for $250. I got it so cheap because it smoked like crazy and burned a quart of oil every 20 miles. Also had a dent in the oil pan that the crank was tapping against. Stupid college kid owned it and I highly doubt he changed the oil once in the 4 years he had it.
Got it home and pulled the oil pan off and knocked out the dent. For some reason the next day I pulled the cap off the valve cover and noticed it was full of oil to the top. Pulled the valve cover off and about 2 quarts of oil flew out. There was sooooo much sludge all the return holes were plugged solid. Whenever I'd hit the gas the PCV valve would just suck the oil right out of there. With the oil pan still off I cleaned out all the return holes with a dipstick and tons of kerosine. Right side of the engine was bad but at least it had one unrestriced return hole.
Got everything perfectly clean and put it all back together. On the trip home I was able to squeal the tires about 10 feet. After cleaning everything out and replacing the fouled plugs I was able to vaporize the tires for a good block. Put about 70K trouble free miles on that car and just gave it a way few years ago. Always passed emissions and never burned a drop of oil between changes.
Wish I still had it....can't believe Chevy put out a sub compact that put there C3 line to shame in the performance department.

George
Old 08-05-2001, 07:41 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: I took of the valve covers today..... scary.. (vairxpert)

It must have been the one that had the little 265ci V-8 in it. My step-Dad had one and it would move pretty good. I remember having to undo the motor mounts and jacking the motor up to change the plugs.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:08 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: I took of the valve covers today..... scary.. (Smokehouse69Mark2)

Ah yes, the fun of changing the #1 and #3 spark plugs...stupid steering linkage I cut down a sparkplug socket and welded a strategically bent bar to it. Worked really well.

And yes it was the V8. '78 used the 305. Mine was the notch back (not the hatchback spyder or mirage) which made it the ultimate sleeper. Only thing that gave it away were the two very small emblems on the front fender that read 5.0 liter V8.
Only car I ever recieved any tickets in...most were for unsafe starts at 4 points a piece :D

Get notified of new replies

To I took of the valve covers today..... scary..

Quick Reply: I took of the valve covers today..... scary..