C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 11:42 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask?

I'm getting the AC on my 76 worked on tomorrow I'm getting a new (reman) compressor to replace the one that went out last summer. I also have a new (reman) VIR assembly that I got through the Corvetteforum Mall (great and quick service by the way). I'm having the shop convert to 134A while I'm at it. The shop is the local Chevy dealership. They've done good work on my Blazer before so I kind of trust them.

Is there anything I should know or ask them when I drop it off? (other than the mileage...). They said they're going to flush the system, replace the o-rings, draw down vacuum and check for leaks. Then install the conversion kit and fill it up with 134A.

I've already gone through and worked on the duct work and seals so the vents blow strong when the motor is on the high setting. (by the way, thanks to all who helped me with the high blower motor wiring questions last week).

From other posts, they seem to be doing the right thing. Anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff S.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:53 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (jeffnles1)

Make sure they use a good quality rebuilt compressor. There is some real junk out there sold by the chain autoparts stores. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2001, 12:00 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (Smokehouse69Mark2)

He said he was getting it from Kentucky Motors who is their main parts house. They have a reputation for carring good quality parts. I got my calipers from them last year and have had no problems with them. Also, got a rebuilt alt. from them for my Blazer about 2 years back and it's working fine. I wouldn't go to one of the chains for a part like this. He quoted $200 for the compressor which is the same price as Zip has in the forum mall. AutoZone had one for about 90 but I seriously suspect the quality of their parts.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-06-2001, 12:07 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (jeffnles1)

Jeff, A real smart move staying away from Autozone, I have a real dislike for rebuilt parts from the chains. Most of the stuff is junk.

Old 08-06-2001, 06:39 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (Smokehouse69Mark2)

I missed the thread about repairing the high blow speed for the fan. Both my 72 Vette & 72 El Camino doesn't work on high. What did you do to repair it?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2001, 12:21 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (The Wanderer)

Wanderer -
Sorry about being late, didn't get on the forum for a couple days. My high speed blower wasn't working. Worked on the 3 low settings, so I knew the motor was OK. I checked the ground (as suggested here). boy, do they find some interesting places to ground the C3. The ground wire is below the vacuum canister on a little plate welded to the frame. Hard to reach, but it can be done. I removed the ground wire, cleaned the contact surfaces. Nope, didn't fix it. Replaced the relay. still no cure. One brilliant soul told me to check the fuse. OK, where is it. The Haynes manual didn't mention it. The wiring diagram didn't show a fuse anywhere for the high speed blower. The lowly owners manual had a side note about an in-line fuse protecting the high speed blower switch settings. After chasing wires, I found it. On my 76, it was an in-line fuse (those little push and twist plastic fuse holders) right below the security alarm switch hidden behind the distributor. Guess what, a 30 amp fuse and a new fuse holder fixed it. I broke the tabs on the original when I tried to remove it. Guess they got brittle over 25 years. So, with a 2.00 holder and a fuse, I'm back in business. :yesnod:

I will get my baby back from the shop tomorrow. They had to keep my baby over night. At least they are parking her inside (yes, I did drive by to check).

Hope this helps.
Jeff S.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:33 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

When you say your compressor "went out" last summer, what was it that went out? If it self-destructed internally, you have little bits of compressor all through your system. If that's the case, while they're in there, install an in-line filter after they flush.

Even so, you could have problems. The "ASE recommended" procedure when a compressor goes TU is to replace everything. A bit extreme, but the only way to be sure no little metal pieces are going to come back to haunt you later. Personally, I'd do what your shop is recommending (plus the in-line filter), so it sounds like they're steering you right so far.

Switching to R134a is a good move. R12 is really getting expensive these days. And if you just want to check their knowledge, ask the tech how much R134a he's going to put in. If his answer differs from "80 percent of the R12 capacity", it's time to find someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:13 AM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (lyonsh)

I don't think it self destructed internally. The front seal went out and lost all the oil and freon through the front by the pully. A real mess inside the engine compartment but I don't think it was destroyed inside. I didn't hear any noises like I would expect if it trashed.

They replaced the VIR and the compressor, flushed the system, and charged with r134A.

I should get it back tomorrow, at least that's what the shop said tonight.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:36 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to eat the core charge and save your original parts... including hoses etc. They're getting really hard to locate out there.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:00 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Jeff .... thanks for the tip on the fuse. I'll check it today.

How is the new system working? Nice and cool ?
Old 08-08-2001, 11:36 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (The Wanderer)

Well guys, not cool yet. There was a hole in one of the lines. They had to order a part. It will come in Thursday am. Sooo, I won't see my baby until Thursday pm. I miss her.

I would have saved the original parts, but I know the compressor was replaced somewhere along the line and not original. I had a receipt from about 10+ years ago from a prior owner who had the compressor replaced (the car came with 15 years of receipts most of which helped document the actual mileage - not low miles, but 84,000 original . )

I don't know about the hoses, but what's the value of AC lines with a hole in them? I'll ask if they kept the original parts, but why?

Wanderer, did the fuse search pan out for you?

Jeff S.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:29 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

The crimps and connectors you can't get anymore. I believe the old style with the 2 bands they're not allowed to sell anymore. :eek: At the moment they're not restorable, but who is to say in 10 years they won't be? If the stuff isn't original, then don't worry about it. Me, I like to worry about whether or not the thing on the end of my compressor is the original block or the repro spyglass style. :jester Good Luck with it!
Old 08-09-2001, 03:06 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (Juliet)

Juliet,
What do you mean block or spyglass style? not sure how to tell. If the hoses are original and valuable, I'll ask for them back, otherwise, they're bad hoses and not worth anything.

Can you let me know? I'm picking her up tonight (I hope) and will get the originals back if they have some value or use to someone. :confused:
Old 08-09-2001, 03:57 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

OK, this is an absolutely abysmal picture, but here it is:

See the alum. block on the aft side of the compressor? It has two plated brass ***** on the top and the 'muffler' comes out behind it? Well the originals (like in my car) are square and are a block of metal. The new ones are rounded (less metal). You'll loose points there if they replaced that. Also look at the crimps on the metal connectors on the ends of the hoses. They have 2 crimps with some radial lines. Law says now you need to triple crimp them (or something like that). You can't get them like this anymore. Point is, the hose might be shot, but in 10 years there might be some restorer who has figured out how to sleeve them or something with a functional thing inside, allowing you to reuse the outsides "APPEARING AS IF ORIGINAL." That's the key. Just because it isn't reusable now, doesn't mean it won't be reusable in a few years. BTW, the pepsi can was my coolant overflow catch thing to pass tech inspection drag racing last fall. :D It's an old picture, what can I say? :hat Get all the old stuff. Put it in a box in the attic or basement & just keep it. ~Juliet
Old 08-09-2001, 11:20 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Default Re: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask? (Juliet)

Juilet -
Thanks for the photo. I think mine must have been replaced somewhere along the way as it didn't look that square, but since the car's still in the shop :cry I'm going from memory. I know the AC was worked on about 10 years ago as I have receipts from that work and the hose was replaced then. I'm betting it was not original equipment.

The shop called me tonight and said the part they got in was the wrong one and wouldn't fit. It was for the newer versionof the AC compressor (radial or axial, can't remember which. Mine is the older style big unit, not the newer short fat unit). Anyway, they have to call the parts supplier to get a new part. I won't see my baby until Monday now. I'm really depressed and :mad . It's not really their fault as their parts manual called for this part (GM changed about mid year in 1976 and my car is a very early one), but I still want my baby back. I miss seeing her in MY garage. I may go up to the shop tomorrow just to tell her everything will be allright.

Thanks again for the photo.

Jeff S.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask?

Quick Reply: Getting AC worked on tomorrow, anything I need to know or ask?