C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Intake with ZZ4 and Fast Burn Heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:39 PM
L82-JWS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Intake with ZZ4 and Fast Burn Heads

Do to clearance issues with the Corvette Hood, I am looking for intake manifold suggestions I can use on the ZZ4 with Fast Burn Heads? I need a spreadbore design to use with Speed Demon 650.

Will Edelbrock 2101 work? Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Aren't all Demon carbs squarebore? It's best to use a vortec manifold with the fastburn heads. Both Edelbrock 7116 and GM 12366573 will work and are low profile but will cost you some HP,maybe up to 20. I would try to use a air gap 7516 or GM single plane intake with a drop base air cleaner if possible. Maybe someone here has done that. I'm using the 7516 but I also have a aftermarket hood.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 AM
L82-JWS
Racer

Default Air Gap with L82 Hood?

Your right on the Demon's. Duhhhh....Thanks, was chasing wrong manifolds. Has anyone one used an air gap manifold with L82 hood? Are single plane manifolds "street friendly"?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
supervett77
Instructor

yeah i have the same setup as you do with an endurashine rpm on it with a k and n air cleaner up top. But i think my hood is the hi rise. i have lots of clearance
Old 01-26-2006, 07:45 PM
L82-JWS
Racer

Is the hood you have an aftermarket? Or is it a L-82?....sounds like I can use a RPM manifold with a drop base air cleaner. Need to ck clearance with molding clay, but they may be the way to go. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the performer rpm, air gap, and gm single plane (ZZ383 test manifold) are all about the same height. I did a quick search using "airgap hood clearance" and came up with several threads discussing this. Lots of talk about different intakes under stock hoods. You should find an answer there.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:28 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Ur misleading which heads u have.

Originally Posted by L82-JWS
Do to clearance issues with the Corvette Hood, I am looking for intake manifold suggestions I can use on the ZZ4 with Fast Burn Heads? I need a spreadbore design to use with Speed Demon 650.
Will Edelbrock 2101 work? Any suggestions?

ZZ4 didn't come with the Fast Burn Heads - came with corvette aluminum heads with the original intake bolt & runner patterns.

Fast Burn Heads have a vortec style runner and bolt pattern that uses a different intake. Both Edelbrock and GMPP sell intakes that fit those heads - but which heads do really u have??? Part number???

Speed Demon is squarebore carb. Why would u need a "spreadbore design to use with Speed Demon 650"???

cardo0
Old 01-27-2006, 11:31 PM
supervett77
Instructor

actually its a fastburn motor with a zz4 bottom end i know because i bought one for 3899 couple years ago.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:31 PM
supervett77
Instructor

the hood is aftermarket from ecklers look for hi rise if you need to buy a hood. Love this hood looks so cool especially when your sitting inside of it.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:37 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by supervett77
actually its a fastburn motor with a zz4 bottom end i know because i bought one for 3899 couple years ago.
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/...e-Assembly.htm
Old 01-28-2006, 09:01 PM
L82-JWS
Racer

Originally Posted by cardo0
ZZ4 didn't come with the Fast Burn Heads - came with corvette aluminum heads with the original intake bolt & runner patterns.

Fast Burn Heads have a vortec style runner and bolt pattern that uses a different intake. Both Edelbrock and GMPP sell intakes that fit those heads - but which heads do really u have??? Part number???

Speed Demon is squarebore carb. Why would u need a "spreadbore design to use with Speed Demon 650"???

cardo0
Cardo.....I have a ZZ4, that I want to put the FAST BURN heads on.
I was mistaken about the spreadbore.
My question was what manifold to use, knowing that the FAST BURN heads require a different intake for the reasons you pointed out.

I was looking at AFR heads, but I would have to change the pushrods and roller rockers I just installed with the LT4 HOTCAM.

So, GMPP Fast burn heads with RPM manifold, using drop bas A/C.
I think this is were I will head. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:11 PM
supervett77
Instructor

I have the intake if you want to buy it. The exact one that comes with the fastburn crate engine.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:45 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Easy on the caffine Dude.

Originally Posted by L82-JWS
Cardo.....I have a ZZ4, that I want to put the FAST BURN heads on.
I was mistaken about the spreadbore.
My question was what manifold to use, knowing that the FAST BURN heads require a different intake for the reasons you pointed out.
I was looking at AFR heads, but I would have to change the pushrods and roller rockers I just installed with the LT4 HOTCAM.
So, GMPP Fast burn heads with RPM manifold, using drop bas A/C.
I think this is were I will head. Thanks.

Ok, thats making sense now. But 1 thing to take note is that anytime u change heads, cam, vlv train, or deck block u need to verify p-rod length. And its easy with a checker tool from Manley or ProForm ($10). Just follow instructions and u can buy good corrected length p-rods <$100 these days (Jeg's or Su....) - well close enough to do the job right.
1 more thing is that i recall the FAST BURN heads are a larger chamber than the ZZ4 (corvette) heads. What i'm saying u may not see as much gain with the loss in c.r. along with the bigger cam/more overlap.
For less money u could have those vette heads ported to similar flow numbers and use the original intake. Well just a thought as u may not know a reliable head porter and end up with amature head work so use caution. Sometimes its fun to meet skilled mechs locally and sometimes its a big dissipointment.

Good luck. cardo0
Old 12-09-2017, 12:54 AM
Jrodgerson
2nd Gear

Default ZZ4 Heads on 1981 Corvette

I have a similar issue.

How can I make sure I have the correct intake manifold for aluminum ZZ4 heads (part # 0-12367712) in a 1981 Corvette. I want a good breathing intake that will still clear the hood.

I bought the car at an auction and I suspect the original engine was swapped out and the ZZ4 heads were installed, but the original intake and headers were retained, topped off with a Holley 750 dbl pumper.

I currently have a chronic oil leak at the back of intake manifold and suspect it's because of the intake.

I would also like a recommendation for a good set of headers. The current headers are very restricting and leak, even after multiple attempts at replacing the gaskets. I saw some very nice Hooker Sidepipes the others day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:36 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrodgerson
I currently have a chronic oil leak at the back of intake manifold and suspect it's because of the intake.
Also check the oil pressure sender at the back of the block just to the driver side of the distributor.

Get notified of new replies

To What Intake with ZZ4 and Fast Burn Heads

Quick Reply: What Intake with ZZ4 and Fast Burn Heads