C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car didn't make it as far as the inspection...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 09:58 PM
AussieVette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car didn't make it as far as the inspection...

Well I was all geared up for my annual inspection of the Corvette this morning. I had been preparing for this all week and was geared up in my mind for it, and obviously a little stressed about it.

So I drove off this morning all ready for it, with the car running like a dream as usual. Then while on the freeway just a few miles from the off ramp I was going to take I suddenly develop a metallic ticking/knocking noise, so I dived on the brakes and pulled it over into the emergency lane. The noise just as quickly disappeared but now the car wasn't running on all 8 cylinders, and worse still it wouldn't idle.

I managed to limp the car home without too much incident, but being so hot in the engine bay I haven't had a chance to diagnose the problem yet, although I couldn't see anything amiss. So hopefully when I get home from work tonight I'll find that one of the spark plug wires was a little loose or the end of one of the spark plug electrodes had screwed itself loose a little. Mind you the knocking I heard bothered me big time.

I'm just so incredibly angry with car and in such a foul mood now. The first time the car has given me any greif what so ever and it has to happen on the way for it's annual inspection. I hate this thing!!!! :mad :mad

Hopefully everything will be ok, and I can try again tomorrow morning.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:06 PM
rrent
Drifting

Default Re: Car didn't make it as far as the inspection... (AussieVette)

Man, I hate it when that happens!

What's included in an inspection in your part of the world?

Here its pretty much brakes/braking distance; e-brake; lights hi/lo beams; turn signals; wipers -- someday tail pipe sniffer test (on the books now, but not done here in Austin, Texas yet)-- oh I almost forgot the all important liability insurance.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:14 PM
AussieVette
Pro

Default Re: Car didn't make it as far as the inspection... (rrent)

rrent, sounds like the inspections are pretty much the same. Everything on the car is checked to make sure it is in working order, and in good condition. Car is taken over a pit so they can check underneath for chassis rust/damage, that steering & suspension components are not too worn, and that there are no leaks.

Car is also road tested after all that. At this stage in this state, the only cars subjected to annual inspections are left hand drive cars. Therefore we don't have a huge number of registered inspection stations like other states (basically your local mechanic), and have to have our inspections done at the nearest outlet of the Department of Transport which is normally located at one of the major police stations. That in itself makes me nervous :(
Old 08-07-2001, 11:21 PM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Murphy's Law!!! :mad
Old 08-07-2001, 11:24 PM
vettetester
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Car didn't make it as far as the inspection... (Chris O')

Murphy's Law!!! :mad
always true

sorry about your luck
Old 08-07-2001, 11:30 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Maryland you only have to pass saftey inspection once to get the car tagged. After that never again. Also ,all cars 76 and older are also exempt from emission inspection.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:33 PM
rrent
Drifting

They don't check for frame damage around here and only steering check is during the very short brake test drive - I forgot they do also check the horn (important thing that it is)
My dad owned a one man garage the whole time I was growing up. One year the DPS (Department of Public Safety our State Level Law Enforcement Agency- who runs the auto inspection program) decided the mechanics should jack the car up and pull the wheels to check for brake wear - this was back when the charges for inspections were set at $2.00. After my dad and many many other "state inspection" locations told the DPS they would be pulling out of the program the visual brake check was dropped.

Hope the problem is minor so you can get the inspection done.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:49 PM
xrated
Racer

I live in SOuth Australia..no inspections here! There is a lot of talk about them but im hoping they never eventuate in my state. Its amazing what u can get away with when u drive a rare and sexy car. :cool:
Old 08-07-2001, 11:50 PM
AussieVette
Pro

John, if my Corvette was converted to right hand drive I'd be in the same situation as you, just the one inspection to get the car registered in the first place and then never again ever. However they've been so kind as to make an exception to that rule of us LHD devotees.

rrent, given that my inspection is just an annual inspection they are usually pretty good an quick about it. If you're having an inspection as of the result of a work order or modifications look out!! They go through the whole car with a fine tooth comb. I mean that check that the demister is sending an appropriate level of hot air in the right places, check the seat belts and mounting points, measure headlight height to check if the car is too low, check headlight intensity and direction using special equipment, if you've got mag wheels they'll check clearances and sometimes even measure the offsets and track width.

That's why I still get nervous. My inspection should be the quick one over, but had the potential to become a night mare.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:22 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Man ... I hate it when government gets into your life :eek: :eek: :eek:

But getting into your car is way out of line :mad :mad :mad

I can see checking the real junkers out on the road ... but how many Vettes are really a rolling hazard? Now, the loose nut behind the Vette steering wheel could be a different story :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-08-2001, 05:46 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

AussieVette

Sorry to hear about your problem, hopefully you'll be on the way to fixing it soon?

I'm interested in something you said about your inspections. Over here every car over three years old has to have an annual "MOT", (Ministry of Transport) inspection. It covers the usula running stuff, lights (aligmment, function, indicator flash speed, plus presence and operation of rear fog lights etc), chassis and supsension condition, structural body condition, seat belt function, the lock function on tipping seats (as in the Vette) wipers, washers, horn, etc and a rolling road brake testm, and hand brake (emergency brake) test. I noticed that you mentioned "leaks". How stringent is that part? I'don't beleive that it's something we worry too much about here, but if they did, my wife's Mini would be in trouble!!
Old 08-08-2001, 08:11 AM
Brutus
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Car didn't make it as far as the inspection... (Stephen Irons)

In New South Wales every car on the road has to be inspected every year. While it may be very convenient not to have to present your car each year for a road worthiness certificate, it certainly makes sense to ensure that those cars that shouldn't be on the road are kept off it until they are worthy of being there.
While we might be one of the few, if not the only State in Australia to have annual vehicle inspections, it makes you aware of every aspect of what should be working on your vehicle to make it worthy of not only being safe on the road, but also safe for those travelling in it.
I'd like to avoid this yearly hassle too, but in the long run it ensures your car is fit to be driven and not for you to be petrified every time a cop gives you a sideways glance.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:59 PM
AussieVette
Pro

Default Re: Car didn't make it as far as the inspection... (Stephen Irons)

Stephen, they are pretty stringent on the leaks. Basically while they're looking under the car, they see any major leaks or anything dripping, they'll make you fix it.

At the pits closest to me, it is common knowledge that the car park in the local school just down the road from the pits has a great spot where you can get your front wheels up over the kerb, and then climb under with a rag and wipe of those last minute slow drips.

Brutus, I agree that all cars should go through this to weed out the dangerous ones, but it just seems unfair that in this state at this stage it's only the LHD cars that have to go through with it. Almost seems pointless as they are such a minority... :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Car didn't make it as far as the inspection...

Quick Reply: Car didn't make it as far as the inspection...