C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight actuator seal replacement??

Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Headlight actuator seal replacement??

Need to replace the actuator seal on my '81...have no idea how to go about this. Do I need to remove the actuator from the car or is this something done on the car?

To take it off the car, do I really need to remove the hood in order to have room?

Or do I just remove the entire headlight assembly?

Thanks,
LannyL81
Old 02-04-2006, 09:06 AM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest removing the actuator from the car. While you have it off, order a cadimium paint kit from eastwood to refinish the actuator. Changing the seal is a snap, just take care not yank on the actuator rod too much when you have it out of the car, sometimes the rubber diapragm inside the actuator can get kinda weak. Replacing the seal is easy. Just remove the old seal, and slide the new one on. Be sure and use plenty of silicone grease or petroleum jelly so that when you slide your new seal on you dont damage it on the actuator rod threads. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have replaced my actuator seals and you will have to have the actuator out. As far as removing the hood, some do it without removing the hood and some do remove it. I guess that all depends on the condition of your paint. You could remove the actuator and wrap it in a towel and see if you can get it by the hood without causing damage. Hopefully someone else will offer up more experience for you.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:45 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I would take it out. I slid mine out with the hood opened, but be sure and protect your paint. The instructions said you can get it out from under the car, but I never could figure it out. Coming out in front of the hood(with it up)was alot easier for me. Larry
Old 02-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to remove the hood. Just be careful pulling the cans out. The seal replacement couldn't be earier. But remove any rust and paint the cans first.

<<<<< SPRAY ALL BOLTS W/LUBE FIRST BEFORE YOU TRY TO REMOVE The CANS>>>>>>
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to remove the hood. disconnect the actuator. It won't come straight out with the hood open. You will notice when you pull it back it hits the hood. Get a friend to help. have your friend close the hood enough so the lip of it is above the actuator but leave your self enough room to pull the actuator back. then move the actuator along the rad to the exact center of the hood. you now can open the hood entirely and lift the actuator out.

Jim
Old 02-04-2006, 11:32 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine came out fairly easily from underneath.... WITH THE HOOD CLOSED!!! The reason I shouted that was because when I tried to put it back in I had the hood open, and I struggled with the darn thing for about 1/2 hour before I figured out that the hood needed to be closed for me to have the clearance to squeeze it back in!

And as for the suggestion to use petroleum jelly, I seem to remember from somewhere else... maybe it was 9th grade health class? bad idea to mix petroleum jelly with rubber... so, maybe you should use KY jelly?
Old 02-04-2006, 11:49 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Well the esy task became a diaster.

I got the actuator out with only a little effort...loosened the hood hinge bolts and moved the hood just enough to get the actuator out. Easy..

Okay, take actuator to bench...spray the clevis bolt with WD40...wait a bit....then using two pairs of slip-joint plumbing pliers to remove the clevis bolt....the actuator rod broke off with hardly any effort inside the clevis bolt....ARRGGHHH.

Okay, get drill bits out and carefully drill-out the rod in the clevis bolt. Went up to 1/4" drill...the actuator rod is 5/16". So got my 5/16"-18 tap out and started to re-thread the clevis bolt...cutting away the remains of the broken off rod very carefully. Was just about done when...SNAP...the tap breaks off in the clevis.....ARRGGHHHH.

Go to computer....get phone number for Central Corvette and called them as I have an order I had just placed for headlight adjusters...want to add to that order. They are closed on weekends....ARRGGHH... Have to wait until Monday to add to existing order or make a new order.

So now I need a new right actuator....a new clevis bolt...and a new 5/16"-18 tap.....this was an expensive hour this morning.

Oh and I figured out how the actuator seal would go on....very easy...and gee...its like....what....$10.....

Think I will go work on something else....hey honey...want me to put up that antique mirror today........

LannyL81
Old 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have had those days for sure. Sometimes it seems like all is against you. Hang in there you will get it. Be sure to use some never sieze when you put it all back together in case you want to take it back apart someday.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight actuator seal replacement??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight actuator seal replacement??