C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant find one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 08:38 PM
snowbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant find one.

Anyone know where I can buy a new or used tube. Its actually called a pipe. It routes from the back vacuum port of my quadrajet over to the power brake booster where it attaches to the booaster via hoses. I cant find one to buy anywhere. Its for a 1979 L82 engine. Thanks guys. :confused:
Old 08-08-2001, 09:23 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Cant find one. (snowbird)

The nearest I could find was a Q-jet Vacuum Booster Lines for a 1970 and for 1971 thru 1973 in the Zip Products catalogue. They are metal lines. They are on page 60 under Power Brake Booster. There is even a picture of a booster and two different pipes. But nothing after 1973. I'm wondering if Chevrolet may still have the pipe available.

I looked in Zip Product, Mid America, RIK's, Eckler's, and Paragon catalogues and Zip was the only one that was even close.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:05 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You will not find one, unfortunately. GM considers this a "bulk" pipe or tube part and it has no part number. Of course, it is not! It is preformed/bent. (Much like the "S" rubber hose from the frame steel gas line to the fuel pump; there is no GM number.) Thus you will not find repros in Corvette catalogues. This one on my 1979 was fabricated in stainless steel (SS) by a local machine shop for less than $10.00. The second pic after "edit" will show a SS back-up in my basement inventory that is not pre-formed but certainly can be used with a rubber brake vacuum line.

Works also with a rubber line and clamp.

[Modified by paul79, 8:09 PM 8/8/2001]

[Modified by paul79, 8:14 PM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-09-2001, 12:41 AM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

go to the "C3 parts for sale" section in this forum. There are a few guys parting out their cars and I'm sure you could find it from one of them.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:44 AM
Gerry
Racer

Try getting a steel brake pipe with two flare fittings at the local parts store (couple bucks). Cut off one end and use a $5 tube bender to make the bends.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:58 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

When a previous owner put an Edelbrock on mine they cut the tube in half and used hose for the connection to the carb.

When I put the q-jet back on, I had to continue to use the hose. I had to buy a small connector to attach the hose to the carb. So I'm running half tube half hose for now. I'd love to find a full tube... :p:
Old 08-09-2001, 01:05 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try local corvette salvage yard, or local corvette restoration shop, should have used one. There also are used parts dealers who advertise in Vette and Corvette Fever magazines.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:49 PM
snowbird
Instructor

Thanks for all of your advice. Unfortunately Ive tried everything you have mentioned except making my own. As I am trying to get back to stock as much as possible Ill just keep on looking i guess. Thanks again. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Cant find one.

Quick Reply: Cant find one.